Alaska declares emergency for Native American languages

That argument is the colonisers arguments. Fit in or fuck off. Is it just possible that people could speak two languages ?
Most Native cultures I know of that are struggling to retain their own customs & languages are getting nothing but high fives from their White & other non-Native neighbors. So have fun stirring Ill sentiments between neighbors like you did with BLM so that lgbt had an outrage coattail to ride on.

In fact, public schools near me have several Native language & arts focus courses so that our local Tribes are sure to retain their heritages. Dances are held for the public. Park land has been set aside for their traditional practices both public shared & private. Their public dances & cookouts are packed with happy & supportive crowds. They walk with pride anywhere wearing traditional tattoos, clothing & headwear.

So have fun shredding all that so butt-sex can get a little leverage next election cycle.
That sounds great . But my experience is that the language needs some legal protection on top of that.

“Legal protections”?

That argument is the colonisers arguments. Fit in or fuck off. Is it just possible that people could speak two languages ?
Most Native cultures I know of that are struggling to retain their own customs & languages are getting nothing but high fives from their White & other non-Native neighbors. So have fun stirring Ill sentiments between neighbors like you did with BLM so that lgbt had an outrage coattail to ride on.

In fact, public schools near me have several Native language & arts focus courses so that our local Tribes are sure to retain their heritages. Dances are held for the public. Park land has been set aside for their traditional practices both public shared & private. Their public dances & cookouts are packed with happy & supportive crowds. They walk with pride anywhere wearing traditional tattoos, clothing & headwear.

So have fun shredding all that so butt-sex can get a little leverage next election cycle.
That sounds great . But my experience is that the language needs some legal protection on top of that.

“Legal protections”?
It was only after American colonization when missionary and General Agent of Education of the Alaska Territory Sheldon Jackson arrived in Alaska in 1885 did the use of native Alaska languages start to plummet. Jackson implemented an "English Only" policy within the school, legal, and political systems, and any violation to the rule was met with physical and mental punishments and abuse. In 1924, the Alaska Voter's Literacy Act was passed, which demanded native Alaskan citizens to pass an English literacy test before earning the right to vote. This act further decreased the use of Native Alaska languages. Today, many of the Native Alaska languages are either on the brink of extinction or already extinct.[6]

The law has been used to oppress native languages, some reciprocity would be appropriate.

“Legal protections”?
It was only after American colonization when missionary and General Agent of Education of the Alaska Territory Sheldon Jackson arrived in Alaska in 1885 did the use of native Alaska languages start to plummet. Jackson implemented an "English Only" policy within the school, legal, and political systems, and any violation to the rule was met with physical and mental punishments and abuse. In 1924, the Alaska Voter's Literacy Act was passed, which demanded native Alaskan citizens to pass an English literacy test before earning the right to vote. This act further decreased the use of Native Alaska languages. Today, many of the Native Alaska languages are either on the brink of extinction or already extinct.[6]

The law has been used to oppress native languages, some reciprocity would be appropriate.

Such as...?

Government decree is not the answer to everything.

Only you can take a topic about diminishing Native American languages in Alaska and make it about about gays and anal sex. :lol:

“Legal protections”?

Such as...?

I would suggest that it is done on a case by case basis. Making forms and docs available in local languages would be a good start. Road signs and so on. We have bilingual signage here in Wales. Most businesses in Wales offer bilingual signage. Nobody has died from it.

There needs to be a conversation really. Its probably not appropriate where there are just a handful of speakers but then again place names might be all that remains of lost cultures. Its a bit sad,

upload_2019-3-10_15-16-22.jpeg

upload_2019-3-10_15-16-38.jpeg

“Legal protections”?

Such as...?

I would suggest that it is done on a case by case basis. Making forms and docs available in local languages would be a good start. Road signs and so on. We have bilingual signage here in Wales. Most businesses in Wales offer bilingual signage. Nobody has died from it.

There needs to be a conversation really. Its probably not appropriate where there are just a handful of speakers but then again place names might be all that remains of lost cultures. Its a bit sad,

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

What do other countries do? How about Sweden or France or Spain? How about India, which has dozens of languages?

“Legal protections”?

Such as...?

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

What do other countries do? How about Sweden or France or Spain? How about India, which has dozens of languages?
In Ireland and Wales there are schools that teach in the language. However there are not enough off them and they are oversubscribed. That would be a good place to start in preserving the language.

Endangered Languages

There are several linguistics associations, often working in conjunction with universities, hurrying to catalog as many of the worlds endangered languages as possible before they go completely extinct. Some of these organizations have open source databases where lay people can contribute to the global compilation of these languages. Big mommy government doesn’t need to hold your hand to do anything good in this world.

There needs to be a conversation really.......]

You don't need government intervention to have a conversation.
You generally need it afterwards.

There needs to be a conversation really.......]

You don't need government intervention to have a conversation.
You generally need it afterwards.

No, you don't. Stop being such a spineless fucking subject.

Endangered Languages

There are several linguistics associations, often working in conjunction with universities, hurrying to catalog as many of the worlds endangered languages as possible before they go completely extinct. Some of these organizations have open source databases where lay people can contribute to the global compilation of these languages. Big mommy government doesn’t need to hold your hand to do anything good in this world.
You have a very narrow view of the world.

Endangered Languages

You have a very narrow view of the world.

Far more extensive than your own, subject.

“Legal protections”?

Such as...?

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

In Ireland and Wales there are schools that teach in the language. However there are not enough off them and they are oversubscribed. That would be a good place to start in preserving the language.

I think its more important for the schools here in America to teach basic civics and economics, instead of dying languages. They only have so much time, you know.

Now, of course, when I was in school, they taught a totally dead language, Latin, which killed off the ancient Romans, to us. But Latin is really the source of the English language , so much of our own tongue and culture is derived from those guys.

Such as...?

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

I think its more important for the schools here in America to teach basic civics and economics, instead of dying languages. They only have so much time, you know.

Now, of course, when I was in school, they taught a totally dead language, Latin, which killed off the ancient Romans, to us. But Latin is really the source of the English language , so much of our own tongue and culture is derived from those guys.
If you learn latin it helps you with other languages. I did french and spanish as well and so many of the words are similar.

What I am talking about with schools is being taught in that language. So you would learn geography and so on in Navajo or Cherokee. Those schools in Wales are over subscribed.

Such as...?

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

If you learn latin [sic] it helps you with other languages. .....

Not so much. That effect is vastly overstated. The Latin taught in schools is High Latin, whereas the Latin that gave birth to the Romance languages was Vulgar Latin. You might as well just go ahead and study Spanish if recognition of cognates is what you're after.

View attachment 249568
View attachment 249569

If you learn latin [sic] it helps you with other languages. .....

Not so much. That effect is vastly overstated. The Latin taught in schools is High Latin, whereas the Latin that gave birth to the Romance languages was Vulgar Latin. You might as well just go ahead and study Spanish if recognition of cognates is what you're after.

I am sure that you know more about it than me. I just remember being able to guess french and spanish words because they were similar to the latin I was taught.

Pupils who learn lessons in Gaelic come top of the class

Interesting article which highlights the value of a bilingual education.

Ms McComb said bilingual education was known to help pupils develop.

“There is a lot of research about how bilingualism helps you cognitively because it gives you two windows on the world,” she said.

“Gaelic education is also very rich because it tells you all about the culture of Scotland with music, traditions and history.

“We have to embed that in our children to foster a pride in learning this language that may be new to them or may have been lost to them.

Forum List

Back