Alaska declares emergency for Native American languages

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Alaska has declared an emergency for Native American languages, aiming to promote and preserve all 20 recognized indigenous tongues in the state before they die out.

The order signed this week by the state governor, Bill Walker, directs the state education commissioner to work with partners to promote indigenous languages in public education, KTOO Public Media in Juneau reported.

It also directs the state to use traditional Alaska Native place names on public signs. The order instructs state commissioners to designate a tribal liaison tasked with producing a plan to boost collaboration with Alaska Native partners.

It is sad that it has come to this but heartening that the Governer has taken action. Well done Alaska.

This is obviously some usage of the word emergency of which I was previously unaware.

Emergency-services-staff-007.jpg

Alaska has declared an emergency for Native American languages, aiming to promote and preserve all 20 recognized indigenous tongues in the state before they die out.

The order signed this week by the state governor, Bill Walker, directs the state education commissioner to work with partners to promote indigenous languages in public education, KTOO Public Media in Juneau reported.

It also directs the state to use traditional Alaska Native place names on public signs. The order instructs state commissioners to designate a tribal liaison tasked with producing a plan to boost collaboration with Alaska Native partners.

It is sad that it has come to this but heartening that the Governer has taken action. Well done Alaska.

Languages die out all the time. If even the indigenous people are not using them I don't know why foreigners should care.

Do a lot of folks speak Old Brythronic these days?

How about Norn, Pictish, or Cumbric?

I think it’s a shame when language and culture are lost to time.

Until very recently the nature of man has lead to the decimation

of many of both…………

And what languages were spoken by the Central and South American Injun? Seems they all speak Spanish. Was that their original language?

I think we have a new “(fill in the black) lives matter” cause. Add this to the native veteran guy getting harassed at a catholic school & we have a perfect concoction to spur righteous-hate towards conservatives/Christian “zealous Trump supporters”. “Conservatives hate Native Americans!!”

I can hear the battle cry now, complete with Native parades sprinkled with marchers carrying the random rainbow flag here & there...always just within view of the expedient camera shots for media consumption.

I wonder how Native Americans will like having their race now exploited to forward the core of this new kabuki theater: promoting the cult of lgbt via scaring up ( literally) more dem votes?

My contention is that Native Americans aren’t that stupid. And, the comparison between deviant sex habits & race (because you know it’s coming) will be just as offensive as when they used blacks to the same end.

So on the one hand they wish to change language by force of law. Such as Canada mandating prefered pronouns.

On the other hand they wish to stop natural evolution of language when it is some minority language dying out.

Language changes naturally over time and part of that is that some or all of a language simply stops being used. Calling that an emergency is absurd. It is dying out because it is simply less efficient and people are abandoning it.

Do a lot of folks speak Old Brythronic these days?

How about Norn, Pictish, or Cumbric?

Quite a few languages have gone extinct over the years, this is nothing that terribly new.

List of languages by time of extinction - Wikipedia

I am a bit surprised that so many conservatives are hostile to this initiative. I thought that you would support people trying to preserve their culture.

I am a bit surprised that so many conservatives are hostile to this initiative. I thought that you would support people trying to preserve their culture.
You feign surprise there Tommy. Nobody is hostile to it. Though the word “hostile” does carry an emotional charge. Like “emergency!” In the OP narrative. A language slowly dies for a hundred years & gearing up for election 2020 there’s suddenly an “emergency!!” about it?

Who decided on the new theme? Was it Mook Mafia? Soros?

You feign surprise there Tommy. Nobody is hostile to it. Though the word “hostile” does carry an emotional charge. Like “emergency!” In the OP narrative.

Who decided on the new theme? Was it Mook Mafia? Soros?
Emergency is the correct word when only a handful of people speak the language. Once they are gone that is the end of it. Why are you trying to drag this issue into your nutty anti gay agenda ? This should be something that people can agree needs to be addressed.

Lol
Have you ever been to Alaska? what business of it is yours?
I go up there hunting/fishing quite often, The only threat To Indian culture up there is alcohol/meth...

Last edited:
It is up to each tribe to ensure that the tribal members can speak the language. Having non members be taught is certainly cultural appropriation.

Emergency is the correct word when only a handful of people speak the language. Once they are gone that is the end of it. Why are you trying to drag this issue into your nutty anti gay agenda ? This should be something that people can agree needs to be addressed.

How about instead a more accurate neutral phrase like “an ongoing problem nearing the end”. Not one poster here objects to Natives recovering their language. Why would anyone object to that?

YOU accused that conservatives were against it so YOU betrayed a political agenda behind this story.

You care as little about saving their language as anyone else. Its not like you are going to help the cause by learning it. By tomorrow, youll have already forgotten that this article ever existed.

Forum List

Back