Al-Qaeda propaganda is not Islam: Khatami

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
LONDON, July 20 (IranMania) - Iran's President Mohammad Khatami said pursuing fundamentalism does not mean one should make contemptuous and provocative remarks, but rather knowing one’s interest and being able to protect ourselves against crises created by others.

Addressing the presidents of universities and heads of research institutes, Khatami added that it is not an art to create crises in the face of faulty attitudes; protecting interests and shunning crises are, Iran Daily reported.

“What is presented in some parts of the world as Islam is nothing but violence and backwardness. This is, indeed, a diversionary method, which provides pretexts for the powerful to falsify truth. It is not a source of honor to give the impression that we are the same as Taliban and Al-Qaeda after the lapse of some 25 years (since the victory of the Islamic Revolution). We must prove that the Islam that the Imam (Khomeini) advocated contradicts the Islam propagated by the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.“

The president underlined the need to adopt rational attitudes in different arenas, especially in terms of international relations.

“We must first identify the enemy, defend our principles and criterion, and never succumb and welcome crises. However, it must be understood that even if crises are created, we are able to withstand them. It is an art to uphold the Islamic system,“ he said.

Elsewhere in his remarks, Khatami said the society needs the presence of the elite and thinkers. “We need to respect science and research, and focus on pursuit of knowledge. I am confident that this is also a consideration for the next government,“ he said.

Khatami described the sentiments and feelings of students as ’pure’.

“Voices heard from campuses must be logical and scientific, and not overridden with sentiments or influenced by other currents. The main duty of universities is to promulgate knowledge. Let’s bear in mind that campuses can inject dynamism and enthusiasm into the society,“ he said.

http://www.iranmania.com/News/ArticleView/Default.asp?NewsCode=33481&NewsKind=Current Affairs

Since the story makes sense, I am guessing that you disagree with it.

no1tovote4 said:
Let's hope he isn't saying something while acting the opposite...

It sounds so hopeful.
This is the same guy that I posted a link to from a story in Al Jazeera where he is quoted as saying that his goal and the goal of ALL Muslims should be to spread the Islamic revolution worldwide.

He is talking out his ass cuz he knows folks like Gabby will chew it up and believe it.

freeandfun1 said:
This is the same guy that I posted a link to from a story in Al Jazeera where he is quoted as saying that his goal and the goal of ALL Muslims should be to spread the Islamic revolution worldwide.

He is talking out his ass cuz he knows folks like Gabby will chew it up and believe it.

Damn, and it sounded so right.

no1tovote4 said:
Damn, and it sounded so right.
I stand corrected... kinda....

HERE is the article I posted. Khatami is the current president... but the clerics of Iran just elected a new president and it was the new president that made the remarks I inadvertently attributed to Khatami. Since Khatami is soon going to be out of power, what he says really doesn't matter.

Said1 said:
Now hold on, he may be vyying for a job with the UN. :D
So true. Or maybe working for the IAEA. We seem to like to put Muslims in charge of that group anyway.

Forum List

Back