Airport Body Scans Reveal All

What pisses me off is that because of a handful of loons, people are willing to tolerate and accept such invasive procedures. Yes, a body cavity search is more extreme than a body scan, but I see it as a progression towards infringing on individual privacy rights. The terrorists did succeed in changing our mind set, in more ways than one. They continue to celebrate the erosion of our free society.

Bingo. They have succeeded in taking a measurable amout of the very thing they set out to take: our freedom and way of life, our values that they despise.
Yep. And that's why the shoe thing pisses me off to no end. One stupid bumbling asshole and forever more we have to put our shoes through the xray machine.
buy yourself a set of Tevas
;)

I've never been against profiling in certain cases. Like when you've just had terrorists destroy thousands of lives, it makes sense to profile the ethnic group behind the terrorism. What I object to is making it a matter of course. I'd have no problem with the scans if there was a clear and present danger, but for the most part there is not. So it is wrong, IMO, to force thousands of innocent people to put up with all this airport security SHIT because some of us still have the heebie jeebies.

I missed the article/news flash that said the terrorists promised they would stop hijacking/bombing commercial airliners.

Do you have a link?
I didn't say that. I'm just not willing to give up so much because a bunch of assholes once hijacked four jets. You are, that's your choice. If they ever do make this body scanning mandatory, I really can't see how it isn't unconstitutional. Laws are in keeping with the constitution when they strive to not harass innocent people.

Do some reading.

What pisses me off is that because of a handful of loons, people are willing to tolerate and accept such invasive procedures. Yes, a body cavity search is more extreme than a body scan, but I see it as a progression towards infringing on individual privacy rights. The terrorists did succeed in changing our mind set, in more ways than one. They continue to celebrate the erosion of our free society.

Are we still talking about airport security?

Did you catch the part about a body cavity search being more extreme than a body scan??

Did you catch the part about a body cavity search being more extreme than a body scan??

Airport security screeners do not conduct body cavity searches. Never have. Nor do they conduct any type of procedure that requires the removal of clothing. All you're doing is reacting to hyperbole.

Airport security screeners do not conduct body cavity searches. Never have. Nor do they conduct any type of procedure that requires the removal of clothing. All you're doing is reacting to hyperbole.
actually they are doing random strip searches
at least they were
with this new system they might not be

at least they were

Sorry, but I have to categorize your statement as completely inaccurate and way off the mark. Airport security screeners never have conducted any type of strip search. The only items you are required to remove are your shoes and coats or jackets before you pass through the metal detector. If this is your idea of a strip search, then there's no need to continue with this discussion since we can't agree on the basic premise.

at least they were

Sorry, but I have to categorize your statement as completely inaccurate and way off the mark. Airport security screeners never have conducted any type of strip search. The only items you are required to remove are your shoes and coats or jackets before you pass through the metal detector. If this is your idea of a strip search, then there's no need to continue with this discussion since we can't agree on the basic premise.
REALLY NOW?!?!?!?!

USATODAY.com - Woman gets $350,000 settlement for airport strip search

read and be educated

at least they were

REALLY NOW?!?!?!?!

read and be educated

Unfortunately, the link took me to a blank page. I tried to google it and got a link to an Orlando news site with a notice that the story no longer existed (if it was the same story you referenced).

Looking at the 2003, in your link, I'm taking a wild guess that the court settlement was made in the year 2003. If that's accurate, then by accounting for the time it typically takes for a court settlement, I'm not convinced that this incident involved TSA screeners. It could have involved pre-TSA private security company screeners, who no longer conduct airport security screening except at five (?) or so airports nationwide.

Since you got wrapped around the axle on wording and posted a story that is five years old with no proof whatsoever that the TSA conducts strip searches (no hits on google, by the way), you failed to prove your point. But I'll clarify my statement in simple terms you can understand:

The Transportation Security Administration does not train its airport security officers to conduct strip searches as part of airport checkpoint security screening. It most certainly does not train its airport security officers to conduct body cavity searches.

When the news media refers to "airport security," it doesn't necessarily make any distinctions between TSA checkpoint screeners, private company checkpoint screeners (pre-2002), airport police, city police and private company security guards. Airport police are law enforcement officers commissioned as peace officers by the state. They WILL conduct strip searches but not as part of any checkpoint screening. They do it AFTER someone has been arrested.

If you want to be afraid of the body scan and/or if you want to be afraid that a TSA checkpoint screener might have to search your body, then there's nothing I can do.

Meanwhile, in the reasonable world: TSA airport security officers DO NOT conduct any body cavity searches, nor do they conduct any strip searches. They never have. You can post as many stories as you wish about what the private company airport security screeners may have done (and I suspect that the story you posted was in reference to PRIVATE COMPANY security screeners who NO LONGER conduct airport screening), but the fact still remains that you don't have to fear being strip searched by a TSA security officer.

Bingo. They have succeeded in taking a measurable amout of the very thing they set out to take: our freedom and way of life, our values that they despise.
Yep. And that's why the shoe thing pisses me off to no end. One stupid bumbling asshole and forever more we have to put our shoes through the xray machine.

Everything pisses you off except for a picture of a negro shaking hands with the queen. :lol:

REALLY NOW?!?!?!?!

read and be educated

Unfortunately, the link took me to a blank page. I tried to google it and got a link to an Orlando news site with a notice that the story no longer existed (if it was the same story you referenced).

Looking at the 2003, in your link, I'm taking a wild guess that the court settlement was made in the year 2003. If that's accurate, then by accounting for the time it typically takes for a court settlement, I'm not convinced that this incident involved TSA screeners. It could have involved pre-TSA private security company screeners, who no longer conduct airport security screening except at five (?) or so airports nationwide.

Since you got wrapped around the axle on wording and posted a story that is five years old with no proof whatsoever that the TSA conducts strip searches (no hits on google, by the way), you failed to prove your point. But I'll clarify my statement in simple terms you can understand:

The Transportation Security Administration does not train its airport security officers to conduct strip searches as part of airport checkpoint security screening. It most certainly does not train its airport security officers to conduct body cavity searches.

When the news media refers to "airport security," it doesn't necessarily make any distinctions between TSA checkpoint screeners, private company checkpoint screeners (pre-2002), airport police, city police and private company security guards. Airport police are law enforcement officers commissioned as peace officers by the state. They WILL conduct strip searches but not as part of any checkpoint screening. They do it AFTER someone has been arrested.

If you want to be afraid of the body scan and/or if you want to be afraid that a TSA checkpoint screener might have to search your body, then there's nothing I can do.

Meanwhile, in the reasonable world: TSA airport security officers DO NOT conduct any body cavity searches, nor do they conduct any strip searches. They never have. You can post as many stories as you wish about what the private company airport security screeners may have done (and I suspect that the story you posted was in reference to PRIVATE COMPANY security screeners who NO LONGER conduct airport screening), but the fact still remains that you don't have to fear being strip searched by a TSA security officer.
there was a story there when i posted the link, but now i get a blank page too
the internet is an orwellian wet dream

Everything pisses you off except for a picture of a negro shaking hands with the queen. :lol:
why would that piss anyone off?

Follow the bouncing ball. I'm reacting to the infringment on individual privacy rights. Nice attempt though to derail the topic.

Follow the bouncing ball. I'm reacting to the infringment on individual privacy rights. Nice attempt though to derail the topic.

The scanners do not violate anyone's privacy. Further you are only protected from "unreasonable" searches.

Actually, you're the one who refuses to stick on topic. But let me try it from this angle:

1. Yes, body cavity searches are the most intrusive searches an individual can be subjected to.

2. TSA airport checkpoint security screeners DO NOT conduct body cavity searches. Nor do they conduct strip searches.

Those are absolute facts. Satisfied?

The scanners do not violate anyone's privacy. Further you are only protected from "unreasonable" searches.
It is unreasonable to think that I, a law abiding citizen, am a terrorist. Therefore, the search is unreasonable.

Also, if they cannot make you take off your clothes, they cannot make you walk through a machine that takes off your clothes for you.

It is unreasonable to think that I, a law abiding citizen, am a terrorist. Therefore, the search is unreasonable.

Also, if they cannot make you take off your clothes, they cannot make you walk through a machine that takes off your clothes for you.

TSA loves you Ravi---they want to make sure you don't accidently hurt yourself while flying.

I think you're missing the whole point, perhaps even deliberately. There are two types of searches: those conducted with your consent and those conducted without your consent but mandated by a magistrate under certain conditions within constitutional guidelines. Like it or not, the search you undergo at an airport is consensual. All airlines specify in their contracts that you must undergo airport security screening before boarding their airplanes. You may not be conscientiously aware of this agreement, but the fact of the matter is that your purchase of an airline ticket signifies that you agree to those conditions of carriage. The fact that you walk up to a checkpoint and voluntarily proceed through a metal detector signifies your intent to undergo airport security screening. The checkpoint is a big place: has lots of uniformed officers, x-ray machines, metal detectors, etc. You can't miss it. In other words, you can't very well turn to someone and claim that you had no idea you and your property was going to be searched.

Unreasonable from a personal point of view? Perhaps. But in the eyes of the law, this is not an unreasonable search as defined by the Constitution.

Forum List

Back