Airport Body Scans Reveal All

The scanners do not violate anyone's privacy. Further you are only protected from "unreasonable" searches.
It is unreasonable to think that I, a law abiding citizen, am a terrorist. Therefore, the search is unreasonable.

Also, if they cannot make you take off your clothes, they cannot make you walk through a machine that takes off your clothes for you.

I think you're missing the whole point, perhaps even deliberately. There are two types of searches: those conducted with your consent and those conducted without your consent but mandated by a magistrate under certain conditions within constitutional guidelines. Like it or not, the search you undergo at an airport is consensual. All airlines specify in their contracts that you must undergo airport security screening before boarding their airplanes. You may not be conscientiously aware of this agreement, but the fact of the matter is that your purchase of an airline ticket signifies that you agree to those conditions of carriage. The fact that you walk up to a checkpoint and voluntarily proceed through a metal detector signifies your intent to undergo airport security screening. The checkpoint is a big place: has lots of uniformed officers, x-ray machines, metal detectors, etc. You can't miss it. In other words, you can't very well turn to someone and claim that you had no idea you and your property was going to be searched.

Unreasonable from a personal point of view? Perhaps. But in the eyes of the law, this is not an unreasonable search as defined by the Constitution.

Ravi ? Missing a point deliberately ?? Say it ain't so . :lol:

The scanners do not violate anyone's privacy. Further you are only protected from "unreasonable" searches.
It is unreasonable to think that I, a law abiding citizen, am a terrorist. Therefore, the search is unreasonable.

Also, if they cannot make you take off your clothes, they cannot make you walk through a machine that takes off your clothes for you.

I think you're missing the whole point, perhaps even deliberately. There are two types of searches: those conducted with your consent and those conducted without your consent but mandated by a magistrate under certain conditions within constitutional guidelines. Like it or not, the search you undergo at an airport is consensual. All airlines specify in their contracts that you must undergo airport security screening before boarding their airplanes. You may not be conscientiously aware of this agreement, but the fact of the matter is that your purchase of an airline ticket signifies that you agree to those conditions of carriage. The fact that you walk up to a checkpoint and voluntarily proceed through a metal detector signifies your intent to undergo airport security screening. The checkpoint is a big place: has lots of uniformed officers, x-ray machines, metal detectors, etc. You can't miss it. In other words, you can't very well turn to someone and claim that you had no idea you and your property was going to be searched.

Unreasonable from a personal point of view? Perhaps. But in the eyes of the law, this is not an unreasonable search as defined by the Constitution.
I'm not sure I agree with you but I do understand your point. The terms of carriage for US Airways, for instance, says you must consent to be searched for explosives or weapons. But it does not detail the search. By your reasoning we should be prepared for and have consented to a thorough probing of our orifices and a strip search. And it isn't the airlines that are doing this search, it is the government...who should have probable cause to do it.

As long as this body scanner remains an option and not a requirement I'm okay with it.

You know ... I should find one f these airports just to fuck with them ...

Reminder ... I am incontinent ... how much you want to bet it would show up in the scan. *grins evilly* It will make them not want to look at the screens.

It is also unreasonable for you to think that the people at the airport know who you are and whether or not you are a law abiding citizen.

It is also unreasonable for you to think that the people at the airport know who you are and whether or not you are a law abiding citizen.
That doesn't matter. They must show probably cause. Thank God you aren't going into law enforcement.

Those TSA people can be like Nazis sometimes. I was in a line waiting to go through security when TSA opened up another security station across the room from the existing line and TSA employees were directing some people from my line to go to the newly opened station. A woman in front of me had her 6 year old daughter with her and the TSA employee directed the daughter to go to the new line and directed the mother to stay where she was. Of course the mother objected to being separated from her daughter and the TSA employee went into Nazi mode and threatened the mother with arrest if she did not comply and stop arguing. The TSA employee finally backed down when others in the crowd including me, started objecting along with the mother.

Did you catch the part about a body cavity search being more extreme than a body scan??

Airport security screeners do not conduct body cavity searches. Never have. Nor do they conduct any type of procedure that requires the removal of clothing. All you're doing is reacting to hyperbole.

Follow the bouncing ball. I'm reacting to the infringment on individual privacy rights. Nice attempt though to derail the topic.

Actually, you're the one who refuses to stick on topic. But let me try it from this angle:

1. Yes, body cavity searches are the most intrusive searches an individual can be subjected to.

2. TSA airport checkpoint security screeners DO NOT conduct body cavity searches. Nor do they conduct strip searches.

Those are absolute facts. Satisfied?

No chief, I'm not.:lol: You just agreed that body cavity searches are the most intrusive. It isn't about whether or not they are actually occuring. It's an example of taking privacy rights to the extreme. Body scans were being discussed, and people brought up body searches. I don't really care if it goes to that level on a routine basis. My point was, and my point remains, that individual privacy rights are being infringed upon, and I don't need it to get to the point of cavity searches before I take issue with it.

Follow the bouncing ball. I'm reacting to the infringment on individual privacy rights. Nice attempt though to derail the topic.

Actually, you're the one who refuses to stick on topic. But let me try it from this angle:

1. Yes, body cavity searches are the most intrusive searches an individual can be subjected to.

2. TSA airport checkpoint security screeners DO NOT conduct body cavity searches. Nor do they conduct strip searches.

No chief, I'm not.:lol: You just agreed that body cavity searches are the most intrusive. It isn't about whether or not they are actually occuring. It's an example of taking privacy rights to the extreme. Body scans were being discussed, and people brought up body searches. I don't really care if it goes to that level on a routine basis. My point was, and my point remains, that individual privacy rights are being infringed upon, and I don't need it to get to the point of cavity searches before I take issue with it.

So what's you plan of action ?

That doesn't matter. They must show probably cause. Thank God you aren't going into law enforcement.
you are NOT being arrested, they do not have to show probable cause for something you have AGREED to by purchasing your airline ticket

well, will have to be to not fly

Other than to speak my mind and not bend over and take it up the ass, do I need one?? It's not like I'm going to hop on a fucking Schwinn and bike across the country, but I don't have to put a smile on my face if I end up at one of these airports with this bullshit.

you are NOT being arrested, they do not have to show probable cause for something you have AGREED to by purchasing your airline ticket

I'm confused as to why this simple, but important, point is being overlooked. If they do this and you don't like it, don't fly. It's like a drivers license... don't want to get photographed and fingerprinted, don't get the license. Flying is a completely optional activity, no one is being forced to do anything.

Other than to speak my mind and not bend over and take it up the ass, do I need one??

No--you can get in line with the rest of em who whine about having to do shit that no one is forcing you to do anyway.

Show me what it says exactly one agrees to by purchasing a ticket. Does it say you agree to a strip search? I don't think so.

btw, it doesn't matter if you are being arrested or not.

Other than to speak my mind and not bend over and take it up the ass, do I need one??

No--you can get in line with the rest of em who whine about having to do shit that no one is forcing you to do anyway.

Awwww you mean my opinion doesn't get your little stamp of approval?? I'm crushed.:lol:

Well I would stamp it for ya but you would whine about a stamp invading your privacy too :lol:

Awwww you mean my opinion doesn't get your little stamp of approval?? I'm crushed.:lol:

Well I would stamp it for ya but you would whine about a stamp invading your privacy too :lol:

Yeah, I'll bet you're really regretting that welcome you gave me.:tongue: Do you still love my avatar??:D

Yeah, I'll bet you're really regretting that welcome you gave me.:tongue: Do you still love my avatar??:D

oh ya--avatar's great !
(Did you feel violated when you had to submit your e-mail to join USMB ?) :lol:

some people can disagree with a position and still like the other person

True, but I don't generally tell people I like, or dislike, for that matter, to quit their "whining" just because we're disagreeing. I enjoy hearing all opinions. It's just a friggin' discussion board.

Forum List

Back