Agree or Disagree?

Is our government founded on the Christian religion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Be more specific, DrunkTard.

Our forefathers were Protestants--who wrote the constitution. While they believed in the Separation between Church and State--they were also religious. There is no mention of bible verse within the constitution--but as you can see "In God we trust" is everywhere.

Benjamin Franklin:
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Poor Richard's Almanack,

Thomas Paine:

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

James Madison:

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." -letter to Wm. Bradford, April 1, 1774

John Adams :

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"
-letter to Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors." -- Jefferson's letter to John Adams, April 11 1823

Not many Christians among the Founders, Jay was an exception. Most were Deists.

Your an Idiot, Just because you do not adhere to a Particular Church Does not mean you are not a Christian. The Founders were Weary of Organized Churches, not the Christian Religion itself.

the Statement that "most of them were Deists" is not backed up at all by Historical Fact. Revisionist Historians like to Point to a Few Comments made here and there by a Few of the Founders as Proof "Most of them were Deists" when they almost ALL attended Christian Churches Regularly, Were Married In Christian Churches, and Professed that they were indeed Christians.

Period.

carlin.jpg

Be more specific, DrunkTard.

Our forefathers were Protestants--who wrote the constitution. While they believed in the Separation between Church and State--they were also religious. There is no mention of bible verse within the constitution--but as you can see "In God we trust" is everywhere.

I didn't know the Star-Spangled Banner was a governing document.

In God we trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
144 Years Ago Today, Coinage Act Places “In God We Trust” Motto on US Coins
1864_2c_in_god_we_trust.jpg

144 Years Ago Today, Coinage Act Places

...on federal notes it is printed "In God We Trust"
those words douche bag didn't just fall from the sky
eat a steaming pile of dogshiite sandwich top off with cat piss honey

zonly1 doesn't realize that until 1956 (I think) the national motto was "Out of many, one" (E pluribus unum).

Now go enjoy your sandwich.

hey clown I've got post coins of 1956 , IN GOD WE TRUST.......you got something to azzhat

So? They still practiced bloodletting as a form of medicine too.

Does this mean you still haven't found our Republics' structure in the bible?

I would love to know exactly what your point is?

If the country was founded on Christain principles where are the biblical reference to the governement they formed?

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
10 commandment are being removed from public property b/c of the double standard but goat head say it's justifiable

I would love to know exactly what your point is?

If the country was founded on Christain principles where are the biblical reference to the governement they formed?

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

There are NONE because the United States isn't a theocracy and the US was never intended to be a theocracy...

I think you're confused..

This is a free country that was established by Christians and many of our laws are inspired by those who held Christian morals and ethics.

Is this a Christian nation? NO, was it built and sculpted by Christians? YES.

Is this a free country? yeah, you can believe whatever the hell you like but that doesn't change the fact that the United States is still majority Christian and still votes with their Christian values and still legislates with their Christian values..

That doesn't make the United States a Christian nation then or now - but it does make the United States a nation of majority Christians....

If that is too difficult for you to follow then I cant help you.

her slip is showing...evil Catholics...hyprocracy

Our government was established by Christians and their Christian morals and ethics certainly played a role in the founding documents.

At the same time they had no intent to create a theocracy hence the First Amendment.

The founding fathers intent was freedom and among those freedoms was religious freedom. It just so happens that at that time the strong majority (probably 95%) of the population was Christian, so obviously Christian morals and ethics helped shape the United States and our laws.

Pretty good summary.

You say they're relevant, then you blatantly oppose the First Amendment. Of course, you also took the liberty to come up with this argument when I didn't make any mention of the separation of Church and State.

I don't oppose the first amendment I believe in it, and I did not mention separation of Church and state.

Then you misunderstand it, severely. It states that the governments shall not recognize an establishment of religion, even if it won't prohibit its practice. The concept of a deity will not factor into the laws of the land here.

That's a very skewed reading of the First Amendment.

I agree in part. I think his treaty provision went too far when it said "in NO sense."

Given the First Amendment, I agree that it is not founded AS a Christian nation -- or as a Jewish Nation -- or as a Deist Nation -- or as a Muslim Nation -- etc. Freedom of Religion means that no one religion is dominant or favored.

On the other hand, there IS a sense in which the founding of the Republic was premised -- at least in part -- upon our Judeo-Christian roots.

I can't wait to see how many people disagree with him. And why.

It would not have been constructed in this way without the founders being Christians. Muslims would never have come up with this type of government structure. Nor would Buddhists or any other group of people. Christians are the only group that would even think of allowing the practice of other religions as a matter of course.

That's mostly true.

The Spanish were devout Christians as well. People shouldn't overlook their part in the creation of our Nation. They settled here before the French and British did.

Yes they were some of the bloodiest Christians of them all. The European war between Christians did spill over into the new world. It's one of the reasons the founders were for forming a secular governement.

That is nonsense.

Benjamin Franklin:
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Poor Richard's Almanack,

Thomas Paine:

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

James Madison:

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." -letter to Wm. Bradford, April 1, 1774

John Adams :

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

Thomas Jefferson:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors." -- Jefferson's letter to John Adams, April 11 1823

This is simply a complete falsehood. And a pretty stupid one to boot.

Just US history, like it or not:

Thomas Jefferson: “The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg.”

Have you ever really studied US History? History is not just copy-posting some carefully selected quotes. That is stupidity.

The idea that there weren't many Christians among the founders is simply a demonstrably false lie.

Benjamin Franklin:

Thomas Paine:

James Madison:

John Adams :

Thomas Jefferson:

This is simply a complete falsehood. And a pretty stupid one to boot.

Just US history, like it or not:

Thomas Jefferson: “The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg.”

Thomas Jefferson is the same man who called himself a real Christian and is the same person who authored the Virginia freedom of Religion act.

The Spanish were devout Christians as well. People shouldn't overlook their part in the creation of our Nation. They settled here before the French and British did.

Yes they were some of the bloodiest Christians of them all. The European war between Christians did spill over into the new world. It's one of the reasons the founders were for forming a secular governement.

That is nonsense.

Spanish Catholics were extremely violent against not only the Natives in the Americas but also against the Protestants. Yes, they masecred other European settlers in the New World for being Protestant. It is documented history.

That is nonsense.

Spanish Catholics were extremely violent against not only the Natives in the Americas but also against the Protestants. Yes, they masecred other European settlers in the New World for being Protestant. It is documented history.
Your view of Christians is solely surrounded by Catholicism isn't it? It is your opinion Catholics speak for all Christians?

That is nonsense.

Your view of Christians is solely surrounded by Catholicism isn't it? It is your opinion Catholics speak for all Christians?

Why is my view of Christians important to historical facts about the bloody Spanish Catholic Conquistadors, the religious war in Europe and their influence on the First Amendment?

Music Break:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biu0Am6js1c&feature=related]Procol Harum - Conquistador - YouTube[/ame]

In answer to your question, no it's not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back