Votes: 5 27.8%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Sex illegal until marriage

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
elephant said:
I am wondering if Hobbit thinks it is OK, not if it used to happen. I know it was common practice but I thought the 'norm' had changed.

Do you think it is OK?

I believe I was quite specific with my opinion of what's ok as far as the age of consent earlier in this thread.

Shattered said:
I believe I was quite specific with my opinion of what's ok as far as the age of consent earlier in this thread.

So it is always OK for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 16 year old as long as her parents get her some birth control? What if she wants to have his kid? She will have to be 18 before she can have a child with him? If she marries him at 16 do her parents still get to control her sex life?

elephant said:
So it is OK with you for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 13 year old girl, after they are married of course?

Bit of a stretch, for sure. I'm gonna have to say no. All I was saying is that strapping a day before which sex is brings jailtime and after which it's perfectly ok seems a little...well...abritrary. I mean, who decides the age? Why such a strict cutoff? I'm used to seeing people who don't have sex until they get married, in their 20s, so I have no personal knowledge of the effects of underage sex.

Hobbit said:
Bit of a stretch, for sure. I'm gonna have to say no. All I was saying is that strapping a day before which sex is brings jailtime and after which it's perfectly ok seems a little...well...abritrary. I mean, who decides the age? Why such a strict cutoff? I'm used to seeing people who don't have sex until they get married, in their 20s, so I have no personal knowledge of the effects of underage sex.

What is 'underage sex'? Do you mean pre-marital sex? According to you it is OK after you are married - except when I point an obviously difficult situation.

Pick a side. If Gods says it is OK to have sex after marriage then this should be perfectly OK. If it is not OK then God's rules are not always the right ones - which means we mortals need to interpret his words.

And you made the cutoff - marriage. I am only suggesting that leaves a very open interpretation.

So how about 14?

I voted "other" because I am not sure.

The ways the laws are written now, we have
several million offenders, maybe tens of millions,
who were mostly teenage boys often no older
than the girls they were having sex with at the
time of the offence. It is clearly grossly unfair
for a 15-year old boy to be criminally liable when
the 15-year old girl has no such exposure.

However, this is an issue where I do not have
any idea what to do.

elephant said:
What is 'underage sex'? Do you mean pre-marital sex? According to you it is OK after you are married - except when I point an obviously difficult situation.

Pick a side. If Gods says it is OK to have sex after marriage then this should be perfectly OK. If it is not OK then God's rules are not always the right ones - which means we mortals need to interpret his words.

And you made the cutoff - marriage. I am only suggesting that leaves a very open interpretation.

So how about 14?

Now you're just being beligerant. Either you're stupid and really don't understand what I have plainly said or you're just trying to make me mad.

Is anyone else having this same problem understanding what I mean? If so, I apoligize and will clarify, but I think elephant's just being deliberately obtuse in an infantile effort to discredit me.

elephant said:
So it is OK with you for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 13 year old girl, after they are married of course?

he said until married ...you can't get married at 13

elephant said:

So how about 14?

you can't get married at 14 either

elephant said:
So it is always OK for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 16 year old as long as her parents get her some birth control? What if she wants to have his kid? She will have to be 18 before she can have a child with him? If she marries him at 16 do her parents still get to control her sex life?

The question was "What do you think the age of consent should be?" "Other" (with an explanation) was one of the options. I gave my explanation - where's yours? (Rather than just sitting there jumping at others for their views)

BTW - A child getting married at 16 has to have her parents permission, or has to be emancipated (sp) from them. In either case, she's now married, and considered a legal adult - like it, or not.

Hobbit said:
Now you're just being beligerant. Either you're stupid and really don't understand what I have plainly said or you're just trying to make me mad.

Is anyone else having this same problem understanding what I mean? If so, I apoligize and will clarify, but I think elephant's just being deliberately obtuse in an infantile effort to discredit me.

You have discredited yourself. You said 'no', but do not like the idea of a 'cutoff' age. Your 'God says it is OK after marriage' is BS. Get a spine.

Hobbit said:

You are being quite clear. Don't sweat it.

elephant said:
You have discredited yourself. You said 'no', but do not like the idea of a 'cutoff' age. Your 'God says it is OK after marriage' is BS. Get a spine.

Ok, lemme state it one more time. If you keep this up after this, I know you're being beligerant.

The only type of relationship I have any real experience with and what, in my life, is 'the norm,' is for two people to get married in their 20s, maybe at 18 or 19, but usually about in their mid-20s, and to remain abstinent until then. Therefore, I don't have enough knowledge of what happens as a result of having sex "too young" to know how young 'too young' is. What I was saying about the hard cutoff is this: I find the idea of a hard cutoff is a bit wierd. Let's say I have a 17 year old girlfriend and her birthday is tomorrow. I could go to jail for having sex with her today. If I make sexual contact at 11:59 pm, it's rape. At 12:00, it's considered a perfectly legal act between consenting adults. I guess I'm just saying that an age of consent seems rather subjective.

Hobbit said:
Ok, lemme state it one more time. If you keep this up after this, I know you're being beligerant.

The only type of relationship I have any real experience with and what, in my life, is 'the norm,' is for two people to get married in their 20s, maybe at 18 or 19, but usually about in their mid-20s, and to remain abstinent until then. Therefore, I don't have enough knowledge of what happens as a result of having sex "too young" to know how young 'too young' is. What I was saying about the hard cutoff is this: I find the idea of a hard cutoff is a bit wierd. Let's say I have a 17 year old girlfriend and her birthday is tomorrow. I could go to jail for having sex with her today. If I make sexual contact at 11:59 pm, it's rape. At 12:00, it's considered a perfectly legal act between consenting adults. I guess I'm just saying that an age of consent seems rather subjective.

You are absolutely correct. You can see that by not only your example (and thousands like it), but also just looking at the list Mr. P posted.

Does one state know better than the other? If a 15 year old drives from one state to the other, she automatically can give consent now that she has crossed state line? What does a "border" have to do with her mental/emotional capability; or lack thereof?

I don't know that there is a logical answer for this. When I was 18, I had a 17 year old girlfriend. We participated in various activities, including those that would fall into the "consent" realm. I didn't worry about statutory rape; mainly because in both our minds, we were both willing and the ages were not important. I didn't even know what the law in California was at the time.

Which brings another question. These laws are just for intercourse? As we all know, there are plenty of things that two people can do without engaging in intercourse. So if the above mentioned 17 and 18 year olds were doing something else; say, for example, engaging in oral sex at 11:55 - 11:59, then that is acceptable in the eyes of the law? Then at midnight they move to intercourse so that is legal.

But if they are a minute sooner, or the policeman's watch is two minutes slower than the clock in the car, it is illegal.

What is the answer? A national age of consent? I don't want to see that happen. We have more important things to worry about.

Abbey Normal said:
As the mother of a 14 year old girl, I find it disturbing that some people think that the a law allowing an adult to have sex with a 15 year old is ok. :wtf:

It IS sorta weird for the State to be telling folks how old they have to be before they have sex-----how about just making it legal when the parent says it's ok? Then the parent can decide whether to press charges or not?

dilloduck said:
It IS sorta weird for the State to be telling folks how old they have to be before they have sex-----how about just making it legal when the parent says it's ok? Then the parent can decide whether to press charges or not?

Not a bad idea....except you'll get people like =d= and myself who think that 42 sounds about right for our daughters.

Hobbit said:

Your lack of experience does not constitute an argument.

You think sex is only acceptable after marriage. In case you are not reading the thread - 14 year olds can get married. So this is either acceptable to you or it is not.

The problem I have with you is, you are claiming to be unqualified to answer and also that God has the answer - virginity until marriage. God does not have the answer on this one. You will have to think for yourself. God is the guiding light to men from Utah who are marrying 14 year olds, too. Having God in your life does make you virtuous. Taking a stand would be a good start though.

I agree that just setting an age is arbitrary, but it has to be done to stop people from marrying 12 year olds just to have sex with them.

By the way - according to you if you marry her the time of day would not matter. Your argument stinks. Here is your stupid argument another way:

You don't have enough knowledge of what happens as a result of having sex "when you are not Christian enough" to know how heathen 'not Christian enough' is. Let's say you have a 14 year old girlfriend and you're gonna marry her tomorrow. You could go to hell for having sex with her today. If you make sexual contact before the ceremony, it's sin. After, it's considered a perfectly religious act between consenting Christians. You guess you're just saying that marriage seems rather subjective.

Forum List

Back