AG Holder demands voting rights be restored to felons

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is probably a good idea though it will likely help democrats and that's all holder cares about. Repubs should counter by saying we should then restore gun rights to felons. Gun rights are a constitutional right while the right to vote is not.

Eric Holder makes case for felons to get voting rights back - The Washington Post

feb 12, 2014

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Tuesday called on states to repeal laws that prohibit felons from voting after their release from prison, urging changes that could allow millions more across the country to cast ballots.

Holder said that current laws forbidding felons from voting make it harder for them to reintegrate into society. He pointed to a recent study that showed that felons in Florida who were granted the right to vote again had a lower recidivism rate.

“These restrictions are not only unnecessary and unjust, they are also counterproductive,” Holder said. “By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes.”

The attorney general said that after the Civil War, laws that prohibit felons from voting were a way for post-Reconstruction states to keep blacks from casting ballots. Today, an estimated 5.8 million Americans are not allowed to vote because of current or previous felony convictions. Of those, nearly 38 percent are black.

The Justice Department said that 23 states since 1997 have enacted voting rights overhauls. They include Nebraska, Nevada, Texas and Washington state.

In Virginia, former governor Robert F. McDonnell (R) enacted a policy last year that allowed those with non-violent felony convictions to have their voting rights automatically restored. But critics say the effort still leaves many disenfranchised.

The Justice Department said that 11 states, including Florida and Kentucky, restrict voting rights for felons. Holder said that 10 percent of Florida’s population is disenfranchised.

• Banned
Laws banning felons from having guns do NOT keep them from getting guns. But it does result in them being thrown in prison for the victimless crime of simply having a gun.

That's right Holder. Almost 100% of felons are Black. Give them back their right to vote and who will they vote for? That's right the LIBs. And your dumb-ass reason is to claim that Black felons who can vote are less likely to commit further crimes. Ya right ass-hole.
Holder's problem is he's used to being around people who have an average IQ about 15 points lower than Whites so he believes he can BS people and they will be too stupid to catch on.
Anyway the 'Metro' Holder is soon jumping ship just before the 14 elections. Like bye moron.

• Banned
Felons might (in some cases) deserve to be able to reclaim a right to vote.

I'd say in most cases. You obviously don't even know what a felony is and think "it's like murder or rape, dood". No - more likely it's just drug possession. The legal definition of a felony is crime where the maximum possible penalty is a year or more.!!! That's a very low bar.:clap2:

He can DEMAND until the cows come home

Who the hell does he think he is demanding thing from States

Last edited:

I'd say in most cases. You obviously don't even know what a felony is and think "it's like murder or rape, dood". No - more likely it's just drug possession. The legal definition of a felony is crime where the maximum possible penalty is a year or more.!!! That's a very low bar.:clap2:

You don't know me or what I know. Your ignorant assumption makes you come across as quite foolish.

And I also don't think being a felon for mere drug POSSESSION is as common as you ignorantly assume. Not that that pointless had anything to do with anything I had said, anyway, you drip.

In any case, the deprivation of a right to vote as an additional lawful consequence of a felony conviction has some merit behind it. Nevertheless, there are, undoubtedly, SOME cases which would warrant consideration for a restoration of that right once the prison term is finished and once any subsequent parole/probation or post-release supervision period is completed.

Where/when did he demand it?

Have someone read you the article. You're welcome.

You mean the article you posted? In that case you're simply lying. He never demanded anything. He did make a strong case for restoring voting rights to some felons who have paid their debt, however your claim was that he demanded it! Which of course is a lie.

:eusa_liar:

You don't know me or what I know. Your ignorant assumption makes you come across as quite foolish.

And I also don't think being a felon for mere drug POSSESSION is as common as you ignorantly assume. Not that that pointless had anything to do with anything I had said, anyway, you drip.

In any case, the deprivation of a right to vote as an additional lawful consequence of a felony conviction has some merit behind it. Nevertheless, there are, undoubtedly, SOME cases which would warrant consideration for a restoration of that right once the prison term is finished and once any subsequent parole/probation or post-release supervision period is completed.

Address the point i raised. Should any crime where the maximum possible penalty be a mere year in prison be classed as a felony?? Most people would say it should be like 20 years and assume it is. THINK

If they can't vote they shouldn't have to pay taxes either.

No taxation without representation.

If they can't vote they shouldn't have to pay taxes either.

No taxation without representation.

Well, that's stupid.

They ARE represented. They just can't vote for the dufus that represents them.

Fuck. If there shouldn't be taxation without representation, than as a conservative in NY, I should be granted tax free status. None of the assholes (liberals one and almost all) represent MY views.

Forum List

Back