Administration Getting Weirder and Weirder

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
First president to get a part time job, but then again how busy can he be? Now selling speeches through syndication. Since when can't a person go to whitehouse.gov and select a date for speech, especially on the issue of the day, where the essay is to 'clarify.'

Blogs » Blog Archive » President’s essay on health care up for sale. Does that seem right? :: Your Right To Know :: PostStar.com

President’s essay on health care up for sale. Does that seem right?

You’d think since we elected him the president of our country and everything, we could at least get his speeches for free.

But not so with President Obama’s latest plea for universal health care.

The president recently wrote a 1,200-word essay titled “Why We Need Health Care Reform.” It was not distributed by the White House press office or issued as a press release. It was, instead, made available exclusively to The New York Times Syndicate.

On Monday, papers around the country received an offer to buy the president’s words through a special arrangement with the syndicate. The Post-Star and other papers with fewer than 50,000 subscribers, for instance, could have the president’s essay for the special price of $125. The price goes up with a newspaper’s circulation, but a woman who answered the phone at the syndicate wouldn’t tell me what the price was for those higher circulations.

In the essay, according to the sales pitch, “President Obama clarifies the errors of our current health care system and explains how the proposed reforms will improve the overall livelihood of The United States by providing more stability and security to every American.”

You’d think the president of our country would want all of his constituents to have that information, in order to help them make a thoughtful decision on his health care plan. But apparently, that explanation isn’t for all Americans — just those who live in communities where their local newspapers are willing to pay for it. (We’re not, by the way.)

Should the president really be offering his essays to a company to then turn around and sell? Isn’t he on the clock for all of us, not just a select few? Should private companies be able to profit from a sitting president’s words?

We elected this man to represent us. We’re already paying him a healthy salary and letting him live in very nice taxpayer-subsidized housing. Should we also have to pay to read what he has to say?

– Mark Mahoney

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Okay, here's the question. The papers have to pay to publish the op-ed, if that's what it's supposed to be. Do the people have to pay to read it, or is it available for free on the Internet, as many op-ed pieces are?

Okay, here's the question. The papers have to pay to publish the op-ed, if that's what it's supposed to be. Do the people have to pay to read it, or is it available for free on the Internet, as many op-ed pieces are?

The NYT is free to read online and I assume the HuffPo will pick it up and numerous other sources will link to it.

I'd be willing to pay Obama something to keep his mouth shut but I don't think I'd be willing to buy any of his speeches... He has never said anything that was worth the ink it took to print the speech.

Remember back in the campaign? Obama PROMISED this Administration would be different? Everything "out in the open". No Favors for Lobbyists, reigning in special interests, no pork, etcetera, etcetera, ad nauseum.

I do notice he gave it to one of his Staunchist supporters. I also note that it was done with taxpayer dollars to write this, and whether Obama likes it or not? He is on ON the taxpayer DIME 24/7.

He's just giving exclusives to his BUDS...and hopes no one notices.

Once again? He's wrong in his omnipotent ASSumptions.

yep... why would y'all disabuse yourselves of all the disinformation and fallacies you keep repeating...

oh yeah... near as i can tell, this is free...and it's the whole essay...hmmmmmmmmmm.... could it be the right once again playing fast and loose with reality?

oops....

Barack Obama's Healthcare Full Plan

That's a lot to read. This is much shorter and more to the point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTi-WdOu2s]YouTube - post office[/ame]

This is all you need to know:

Anything passed=Cost you huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

it's already costing us huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with 50% of bankruptcies being caused by health costs.

good to know the insurance lobby is getting it's 1.4 million dollars a day's worth

i'm sure dick armey is proud.

Last edited:
yep... why would y'all disabuse yourselves of all the disinformation and fallacies you keep repeating...

oh yeah... near as i can tell, this is free...and it's the whole essay...hmmmmmmmmmm.... could it be the right once again playing fast and loose with reality?

oops....

Barack Obama's Healthcare Full Plan

That's a lot to read. This is much shorter and more to the point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTi-WdOu2s]YouTube - post office[/ame]

WTF!!!!!!......:eek:......my union is going to be pissed...lol.....when this guy spoke to them at their convention.....he stuck a flag in every ass there.....said the PO was an example of a well run Government business.....and elaborated a little.....had everyone there cryin and pissing their pants in ecstasy.....:lol:

This is all you need to know:

Anything passed=Cost you huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

it's already costing us huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with 50% of bankruptcies being caused by health costs.

good to know the insurance lobby is getting it's 1.4 million dollars a day's worth

i'm sure dick armey is proud.
Then attack the source of the costs, law firms that milked the medical industry as a cottage industry cash cow and the insurance companies that kept raising rates after each loss.

Craft legislation to end the cottage industry and insulate consumers from having 'costs passed on.'

This bill does NONE of that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back