Additional Class

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
With class sizes completely out of control, school has been forced to open up some additional class blocks. This means another three classes added to my schedule. I usually work with our most advanced ELs, but these classes are (of necessity) our most beginner (or "emerging") level. It's a nice change of pace, and these particular kids have been really great to work with so far. Knock on wood.

With class sizes completely out of control, school has been forced to open up some additional class blocks. This means another three classes added to my schedule. I usually work with our most advanced ELs, but these classes are (of necessity) our most beginner (or "emerging") level. It's a nice change of pace, and these particular kids have been really great to work with so far. Knock on wood.
good luck with your new classes and new students!

And it's a very mixed class in terms of first languages and backgrounds, but the kids are so far working together like champs. Great to see.

When I went to school the normal class size was forty students. No problems.

I was doing some groundwork to run for school board many years ago and started reading some research papers on class size. The broad, general conclusion was that small class size can be beneficial to kids up to about ten years old, then it doesn't matter. Large classes are fine for older kids and certainly for college students.

The gist of it was, campaigning for "smaller class sizes" was a financial "black hole." You could pour as much money into it as you wanted, but never got any results (except for younger kids). California was then campaigning to reduce class sizes as much as possible. I think they eventually gave up on that campaign...because it was a financial black hole.

So are you applauding the poor planning and lack of oversight by saying that.
You do know that the Enrollment Cliff comes next year, 15% decline across the board in students due to the great dip in births from the Great Recession of 2008

During that four-year span, colleges will lose approximately 576,000 students.

So are you applauding the poor planning and lack of oversight by saying that.
You realize that public schools cannot by law turn any student new to a district away, right? Can't even make them wait for "planning" or whatnot.

Its good to hear the school cares about class size control and not budget. My aunt taught at the catholic schools and would say due to budget cuts sometimes they would lay off teachers and make class sizes bigger with more students to a class.

Forum List

Back