I want to run an old software but it requires windows 95

If it runs on windows 95 it will probably run on windows 98 too. Not that this will hep you much. I have a zillion tons of software that runs on win 98, and I cannot run it because I am using windows 7.
I am scared to try and install it in case it corrupts windows 7. It did occur to me that it might be possible to install windows 98 and windows 7 on the same hard drive and switch between them. Because I used to be able to switch between two versions of windows in the past. But I am too scared to attempt it now.

If it runs on windows 95 it will probably run on windows 98 too. Not that this will hep you much. I have a zillion tons of software that runs on win 98, and I cannot run it because I am using windows 7.
I am scared to try and install it in case it corrupts windows 7. It did occur to me that it might be possible to install windows 98 and windows 7 on the same hard drive and switch between them. Because I used to be able to switch between two versions of windows in the past. But I am too scared to attempt it now.

I feel the same way. My mom has a bunch of old desktop computers and I asked her if I could have one, so I am thinking of using that for an old windows 95 installation so I can run this old software.

I feel too afraid to try it on my laptop, in case it wrecks it somehow.

As long as we're axing questions... I took the hard drive out of my old PC that was running XP.
Then I bought a new PC running Win 7 and then transferred all my files.

Can I put that XP hard drive into my Win 7 machine and use it?

Is there a way around that?
You can try the compatibility mode and if that does not work, you can setup Windows 7`s xp mode that is a virtual machine within the OS that works like if it is not a vm (you probably need a xp license). If that is not helping you, you can install virtual pc 2007 on Windows 7 and try to setup Windows 98 in that vm.

As long as we're axing questions... I took the hard drive out of my old PC that was running XP.
Then I bought a new PC running Win 7 and then transferred all my files.

Can I put that XP hard drive into my Win 7 machine and use it?
There is no such thing as a xp hard drive. Your old hard drive is very likely connected to the PC via PATA (IDE). Most up to date motherboards use only SATA and don`t have that connection for the wide, flat cables anymore. But if yours does, you can use it. If not, you need an adapter.

You could go into your setup executable file on the installation CD, right click Properties, then click your Compatibility tab, scroll down and click the box for Run Compatibility Mode for Windows 8, or the various choices. I was able to run Grand Theft Auto 4 with Windows 8, even though Rockstar advised me that it had never been tested for Windows 8. I just fooled the game into thinking (if the game thinks) it was working on Windows Vista, and it worked.

Depends on the program.
A lot of old Windows 95 games no longer work because it requires IPX/SPX.
An example is the old "Red Alert" series. (someone made a crack for this game to work around that problem)
IPX/SPX is an old way of using the internet. (in simple terms)
But the biggest hurdle is WIn95 programs run on the old DOS platform, as well as many of those programs are really Windows 3.1 apps that Win95 could still run. There is nothing you can do to get those to work.

How about getting a license of the old software that is modernized for current O/Ss? Why jump through all the hoops when you can probably get an upgrade for less than 20 bucks.

Depends on the program.
A lot of old Windows 95 games no longer work because it requires IPX/SPX.
An example is the old "Red Alert" series. (someone made a crack for this game to work around that problem)
IPX/SPX is an old way of using the internet. (in simple terms)
But the biggest hurdle is WIn95 programs run on the old DOS platform, as well as many of those programs are really Windows 3.1 apps that Win95 could still run. There is nothing you can do to get those to work.
You can try FreeDOS. I ran even Across the Rhine using FreeDOS years ago.

If you are trying to play a game..just get dosbox.

Not working so good. I tried red Baron and it was slow and without sound. Games that require the old "high" memory, will probably not even run.

Some games run via WINE on Linux. Some of the more popular ones folks have worked on and they work quite well. Red Alert as an example, runs perfect on Linux. But overall it is not a very good solution as at least 75% will have sound issues.

Not working so good. I tried red Baron and it was slow and without sound. Games that require the old "high" memory, will probably not even run.

Some games run via WINE on Linux. Some of the more popular ones folks have worked on and they work quite well. Red Alert as an example, runs perfect on Linux. But overall it is not a very good solution as at least 75% will have sound issues.
Are you sure that you mean DOS games? Red Alert is available in both the DOS and the Windows version.

You just have to fiddle around with DosBox. I can get most older games to work...and remember alt F12/ F11 slows down and speeds up the game. as for sound...I upgraded my Dosbox...and that seemed to fix a lot of issues.

Forum List

Back