Adam Schiff Has No Authority To Issue Subpoenas On Impeachment Inquiry

It's not a court or a trial. That comes later, in the Senate. Then he can call all the witnesses he wants.
You're really are happy that Democrats are Fascists, aren't you?

You love the fact that the Democrats don't have the same dignity, fairness and justice that Newt showed Clinton, don't you?

Fortunately Americans are better people than you.

You'll fail, again. Just like the Mueller Witchhunt failed.
You have a very distorted view of reality.

Maybe you should read it again. It's directly on topic.

Sorry, but that is just not true. The house judiciary committee didn't even exist until the late 1800s and Speaker Pelosi ordered all impeachable offences to be forwarded to the judiciary committee anyway.
Into a secret kangaroo court where the Republicans can't call witnesses or cross examine Democrat partisan witnesses. All in secret where the truth can't be revealed.

That's how Fascists do it.
It's not a court or a trial. That comes later, in the Senate. Then he can call all the witnesses he wants.

Right, after they line up all the liars they can find or buy with no opposition and violating every precedent in the book. At least the commies are living up to their name for the whole country to see.

Who's lying? Besides tRump I mean.

What precedent is being violated? Besides abusing the presidency for political/personal gain?

Wrong. The Constitution states that the impeachment process begins in the House of Representatives. Any member of the House can call for impeachment hearings. The Judiciary committee is assigned to investigate any alleged cause, but this is nothing more than a rule created by the House, which can make or change its rules at will, and any committee in the House can cooperate with the Judiciary on it's own, or in concert and at the behest of the Judiciary committee. Nothing in the Constitution specifies which committee in the House has jurisdiction to investigate crimes, or treason by the President, or any other federal officer.

ARTICLE 1 SECTION 2 CLAUSE 5
The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

The Constitution does not specify how impeachment proceedings are to be initiated, and the Supreme Court has made no rulings to the contrary. The "sole power" of impeachment is clear and unambiguous.

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of shit these people are trying to pull here.

Yep, it says the "house" has the sole power of impeachment, not just the speaker and a few committee chairs. The house hasn't spoken.

And once the Inquiry is complete the House WILL vote on Impeachment...as the Constitution requires

What makes you think it will ever be over? They know they got nothing and the senate will never convict, so they'll drag it out with their little drip, drip, drip.

I'm still trying to understand this whole subpoena thing for an impeachment 'probe' where no vote is taken by the House of Reps to move forward on it. House rules apparently stipulate that a committee chairperson can issue subpoenas if they have jurisdiction over the matter in question, but the secrecy involved in this case and the seeming denial of Due Process for the President and the Executive Branch makes the whole thing look like a witch-hunt in search of a crime to prosecute. [Didn't Pelosi identify no fewer than 6 committees that will have some jurisdiction in the impeachment probe?] Far as I can tell, House rules do not require a full vote, which has always been done in every other instance related to an impeachment. I'm not sure the courts can dictate to the Congress how to do their business, but they also may not require the President to comply with a subpoena from just one person either, absent the authorizing House vote. Congress has the power of subpoenas with which to perform their necessary legislative functions, which includes impeachment, but there's gotta be some restrictions to prevent abuse of a subpoena, just like there are restrictions on executive privilege that the President can use to deny the release of transcripts, documents, memos, and the like, or the testimony of certain individuals. I do not think the Courts will be in favor of what the Dems are doing in this instance.

Funny, I haven't seen an impartial written description of what currently is allowed and what could be denied, so I guess the whole thing will wind up in the courts. Probably all the way to the SCOTUS. Sooner or later, the worm will turn and a democrat will be elected to the WH with a GOP House, and what was good for the goose will certainly be equally good for the gander.

I'm still trying to understand this whole subpoena thing for an impeachment 'probe' where no vote is taken by the House of Reps to move forward on it.
Ok...the impeachment inquiry is a preliminary inquiry (can read: investigation) to inform the committees, which in turn inform the SOH and other members, who then decide if a vote should be taken. As with any congressional inquiry or investigation, the committees can vote to issue subpoenas.

There is really not anything more to it. They can literally do this in perpetuity. As voting on impeachment is a "legitimate legislative purpose", this objection floated about simply would not hold up in court.

Wrong again commie, the intel committee signing subpoenas for agencies that are not within their jurisdiction are not valid by court precedents. That is the topic.

Here's a question for you, what committee has jurisdiction over the pentagon?

I'm still trying to understand this whole subpoena thing for an impeachment 'probe' where no vote is taken by the House of Reps to move forward on it. House rules apparently stipulate that a committee chairperson can issue subpoenas if they have jurisdiction over the matter in question, but the secrecy involved in this case and the seeming denial of Due Process for the President and the Executive Branch makes the whole thing look like a witch-hunt in search of a crime to prosecute. [Didn't Pelosi identify no fewer than 6 committees that will have some jurisdiction in the impeachment probe?] Far as I can tell, House rules do not require a full vote, which has always been done in every other instance related to an impeachment. I'm not sure the courts can dictate to the Congress how to do their business, but they also may not require the President to comply with a subpoena from just one person either, absent the authorizing House vote. Congress has the power of subpoenas with which to perform their necessary legislative functions, which includes impeachment, but there's gotta be some restrictions to prevent abuse of a subpoena, just like there are restrictions on executive privilege that the President can use to deny the release of transcripts, documents, memos, and the like, or the testimony of certain individuals. I do not think the Courts will be in favor of what the Dems are doing in this instance.

Funny, I haven't seen an impartial written description of what currently is allowed and what could be denied, so I guess the whole thing will wind up in the courts. Probably all the way to the SCOTUS. Sooner or later, the worm will turn and a democrat will be elected to the WH with a GOP House, and what was good for the goose will certainly be equally good for the gander.

Actually witches were give more rights than the commies are giving anyone.

I'm still trying to understand this whole subpoena thing for an impeachment 'probe' where no vote is taken by the House of Reps to move forward on it.
Ok...the impeachment inquiry is a preliminary inquiry (can read: investigation) to inform the committees, which in turn inform the SOH and other members, who then decide if a vote should be taken. As with any congressional inquiry or investigation, the committees can vote to issue subpoenas.

There is really not anything more to it. They can literally do this in perpetuity. As voting on impeachment is a "legitimate legislative purpose", this objection floated about simply would not hold up in court.

You might want to check the definition of legislation.

Wrong again commie, the intel committee signing subpoenas for agencies that are not within their jurisdiction are not valid by court precedents.
You know... The career lawyers in congress know the law too... So all three committees are signing the subpoenas...

Also,your new argument seems to be that Schiff cant issue SOME subpoenas, unilaterally. I just thought it was a good time to point out that you moved the goalposts about 100 miles.

Wrong again commie, the intel committee signing subpoenas for agencies that are not within their jurisdiction are not valid by court precedents.
You know... The career lawyers in congress know the law too... So all three committees are signing the subpoenas...

Also,your new argument seems to be that Schiff cant issue SOME subpoenas, unilaterally. I just thought it was a good time to point out that you moved the goalposts about 100 miles.

No I didn't move a damn thing, only the house judiciary committee has jurisdiction on impeachment, which committee has jurisdiction over the pentagon?

No I didn't move a damn thing
You, of course, did. Youstarted by saying Schiff could not issue subpoenas. Well, that's wrong. Then you said he couldn't issue subpoenas outside the intelligence committee's jurisdiction. Oops, he doesn't have to do so, the other committees are on board. Now you are saying he has no authority in impeachment proceedings at all. Oops, another silly thing to say, as he can impeach everyone in the intelligence community from the janitor to the IC IG.

As for jurisdictionover the Pentagon.... wow, I have to get out my binoculars to see your goalposts, now.

No I didn't move a damn thing
You, of course, did. Youstarted by saying Schiff could not issue subpoenas. Well, that's wrong. Then you said he couldn't issue subpoenas outside the intelligence committee's jurisdiction. Oops, he doesn't have to do so, the other committees are on board. Now you are saying he has no authority in impeachment proceedings at all. Oops, another silly thing to say, as he can impeach everyone in the intelligence community from the janitor to the IC IG.

As for jurisdictionover the Pentagon.... wow, I have to get out my binoculars to see your goalposts, now.

Schiff can't issue legitimate subpoenas to agencies that don't fall within his jurisdiction. I provided a list of the agencies he has jurisdiction over. Hint, it doesn't include the WH, State Dept, or the pentagon, all of which he has signed subpoenas for. Neither of the chairs that signed the subpoenas have jurisdiction over them.

Schiff can't issue legitimate subpoenas to agencies that don't fall within his jurisdiction.
Gotcha! Goalposts, set.

Ok then...when has he done this? Why would he need to do this, when the other committees are signing onto all of his subpoenas? How does this bit of trivia help the president, or delegitimize the inquiry?

Spoilers:

1) never
2) he doesn't
3) it doesn't

Schiff can't issue legitimate subpoenas to agencies that don't fall within his jurisdiction.
Gotcha! Goalposts, set.

Ok then...when has he done this? Why would he need to do this, when the other committees are signing onto all of his subpoenas? How does this bit of trivia help the president, or delegitimize the inquiry?

Spoilers:

1) never
2) he doesn't
3) it doesn't

Didn't you say this was a preliminary inquiry? Wouldn't that mean no committee would have any jurisdiction, other than normal oversight? It will make a huge difference when the subpoenas are challenged in court. Of course you didn't read the precedents, so you remain ignorant of that fact.

Wrong again commie, the intel committee signing subpoenas for agencies that are not within their jurisdiction are not valid by court precedents. That is the topic.

Here's a question for you, what committee has jurisdiction over the pentagon?

Pure bullshit. As of 2015 that is completely inaccurate.
That was when the REPUBLICANS changed the rules

Forum List

Back