ACLU Sues CA schools

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The American Civil Liberties Union said in a lawsuit filed Friday that California's cash-strapped school districts have been charging student fees that violate the state constitutional guarantee to a free public education.

The civil liberties organization is seeking class-action status for the suit, which accuses dozens of school districts statewide of charging for textbooks, uniforms and extracurricular activities.

Mark Rosenbaum, chief council of the ACLU of Southern California, said at a press conference announcing the lawsuit that an investigation by his group found some 50 districts that mention allegedly illegal fees on their websites, but that there are likely more that do so.

"There does not exist in California a true system of free public schools," he said. "Instead what we have are pay-to-learn schools."

Suit alleges Calif. schools charging illegal fees - BusinessWeek

I believe it is unreasonable to charge students for textbooks. But with that said, uniforms and school supplies have always been the responsibility of the parents. And many, many schools across the country are charging for extra curricular activities.

Comments?

Yes, our school is charging fees now. I contacted the superintendent last week about that. I asked him if there was a fund to assist less-privileged students, because I couldn't see how they can afford all these fees and expenses. It cost me $120 just to get my daughters started in fall sports, not including the equipment costs, only the fees. Economically struggling families just can't afford this.

There is a small fund for those who qualify for free or reduced lunches, he stated. I suggested that he publicize this fund because not everyone is economically suffering. I sent a $150 contribution. I hope the school takes some action to raise more money, because this is a serious problem for struggling families.

Public schools can only charge for LOST books. They can charge for team sports as far as I am concerned. Any activity the school mandates can not be charged to the student. I believe elective courses that do not advance a student towards requirements for Graduation can have a fee associated with EQUIPMENT used but still can not charge for books.

I believe the ACLU will win on several points and lose on several points.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
I agree with everyone else that's posted, so far ~

textbooks should be free unless a replacement is required due to loss or defacement,

but all of the rest of the expenses SHOULD be borne by the families.

The American Civil Liberties Union said in a lawsuit filed Friday that California's cash-strapped school districts have been charging student fees that violate the state constitutional guarantee to a free public education.

The civil liberties organization is seeking class-action status for the suit, which accuses dozens of school districts statewide of charging for textbooks, uniforms and extracurricular activities.

Mark Rosenbaum, chief council of the ACLU of Southern California, said at a press conference announcing the lawsuit that an investigation by his group found some 50 districts that mention allegedly illegal fees on their websites, but that there are likely more that do so.

"There does not exist in California a true system of free public schools," he said. "Instead what we have are pay-to-learn schools."

I believe it is unreasonable to charge students for textbooks. But with that said, uniforms and school supplies have always been the responsibility of the parents. And many, many schools across the country are charging for extra curricular activities.

Comments?

Which is it? The government spends TOO much money on schools, or not enough so the parents have to make up the difference.

Here in Indiana some districts are doing the same thing, haven't heard of any lawsuits yet but now I'm sure there will be.

Face it - the ACLU would sue a floating feather for landing on someone's shoulder (unconstitutional invasion of personal space due to failure to file a flight pattern).

As for school costs, it's like everything else that's "free" ... there are no free rides ... somebody somewhere is going to pay a cost. There's even a cost for not not teaching children jack ... it's called incompetent teachers' salaries. The largest cost though is paid by the students themselves - they end up with little to no real education and have to pay the consequences.

Comments?

Pens, paper, notebooks and such are of nominal cost and necessary for all students. It is the parents resposibility to supply such items to their child(ren); but, punishing a child for having an irresponsible parent seems to me rather callous.
As for extra curricular activites, I have always wondered why they are considered beyond the scope of normal curriculum.
The arts, sports and clubs (science, computers, chess, wood working, etc.) open the world to the eyes of students and many times lead to a life-long interests and a viable vocation or healthful avocation.
IMO the curriculum beginning in the sixth grade should include a required course of instructon in 'extra' enrichment (ideally I believe school should be open until 6 PM every day)
Now don't panic. I'm not suggesting the classroom teacher remain on campus and be responsible for the enrichment programs.
Here's what I think:
Schools need to make sure all kids who are able can read, write, speak and compute by the beginning of the 6th grade. No social promotion, and no 'report' cards; simply set a standard for reading comprehension, computation and behavior. Kids progress with their age group or not.
Schools Districts do a poor job of working with other agencies, the classroom teacher need not waste time on a disruptive student; county offices of social service, probation and health ought to have an equal role in working with and 'teaching' students; high school students whose 'extra' curricular interests coincide with teaching might be brought in to work with slower students, or those who need individual attention to stay focused, and they would earn high school credits in doing so; interns working on MFT's hours may be brought in to work with kids and families. I know some of this is done, but it is not common and ought (IMO) be universal.
Sports ought to be fun and less competative (for most) in the 6th - 8th grade and when practical be Co-Ed. Learning to play with, become friends with and understand the differences between the sexes would (again IMO) reduce the angst of preteens and teens. Softball, volleyball, tennis, soccer, basketball.
Again, high school athletes can be brought in to teach, umpire (referee) and coach, earning HS credit and points for their college applications.
Maybe if schools operated differently there would be less need to dress the kids in uniforms. It's ironic, conservtives applaud individuality, yet want the kids to look the same and learn in the same way - that ain't going to happen. Even in uniforms kids will make them individualistic and when punished for being a kid will be turned off by school.

In the U.S., spending per pupil in constant dollar terms has more than tripled since the 1960s. Back then, text books were provided. Why is it, that with over $7,000 more per pupil in Real Dollars, there isn't enough for books?

One answer:

With a price tag of $578 million, the new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools is an impressive building — perhaps indicative of what some call the Los Angeles Unified School District's edifice complex.

Critics have already dubbed it the Taj Mahal. Built on the site of the former Ambassador Hotel, where presidential candidate Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968, the 4,200-student school is a monument to the fiscal irresponsibility and extravagance of the nation's second-largest school district.

L.A.'s 'Taj Mahal' School's Real Cost - IBD - Investors.com

CA is notorious for fancy administration buildings as welll as excessive superintendent and administrative staff for districts.

Don't forget EVERY State has inflated Administrator salaries...............adding to the school's budget costs.

I teach in a 75 year old building without A/C with almost 800 students in it, so when I hear about these "Taj Mahal" schools I just have to laugh................ :rolleyes:

Good for the ACLU. Californication is a sanctuary state. They've bankrupted their budgets thumbing their noses at the Gov. and giving sanctuary to millions of illegals. Ya reaps what ya sows. Buy those illegals some textbooks. And feed em lunch and breakfast too. Then carry them home in a tax payer funded school bus. You go Californicators. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Don't forget EVERY State has inflated Administrator salaries...............adding to the school's budget costs.

I teach in a 75 year old building without A/C with almost 800 students in it, so when I hear about these "Taj Mahal" schools I just have to laugh................ :rolleyes:

They just built one in LA that cost close to a Billion dollars!

And that is freaking NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuckoo:

Comments?

I believe it is a violation of their rights to an equal education to charge for textbooks. Uniforms and extracuriculars are fair game for extra charges

Chanel

As a teacher, to you think traditional textbooks are obsolete? Will we go to a Kindle type device for students to store all their books?

And that is freaking NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuckoo:

I'd like to know what a Billion Dollar school building includes.
I know that several SoCal School Districts built "SCROP" (Southern California Regional Occupational Program) which included technical education in some amazing fields with hands on experience.
They have an auto transmission program which included hydrolic lifts - dozens; a farm for Aq students, all the computer/media electronics for film making, work study with the aerospace industries in the area, Jet engine mechanic programs working with LAX and much much more.

Actually, it cost ONLY $578B - for a school for 4,200 students. And what do they get for that:

Just in case you're curious, what does half a bil get you in a high school? The new RFK school includes fine art murals, a marble memorial to the late Robert F. Kennedy, a state-of-the-art swimming pool and even keeps bits of the old hotel in place. It has talking benches — no joke — to commemorate the history of the site.

Part of the project is an arts school designed, as the Associated Press put it, "as a landmark, with a stainless steel, postmoderistic tower encircled by a roller coaster-like swirl."

"Over 20 years," the AP notes, "the project grew to encompass a dance studio with cushioned maple floors, a modern kitchen with a restaurant-quality pizza oven, a 10-acre park and teacher planning rooms between classrooms."

Isn't their a law that says a company has to buy a workers uniform if it isn't something they would normally have? Should apply for children also. I doubt they uniforms sitting around. And are they talking about sports uniforms or regular uniforms?

And we only had to pay for text books if we lost them.

Last edited:

Actually, it cost ONLY $578B - for a school for 4,200 students. And what do they get for that:

Just in case you're curious, what does half a bil get you in a high school? The new RFK school includes fine art murals, a marble memorial to the late Robert F. Kennedy, a state-of-the-art swimming pool and even keeps bits of the old hotel in place. It has talking benches — no joke — to commemorate the history of the site.

Part of the project is an arts school designed, as the Associated Press put it, "as a landmark, with a stainless steel, postmoderistic tower encircled by a roller coaster-like swirl."

"Over 20 years," the AP notes, "the project grew to encompass a dance studio with cushioned maple floors, a modern kitchen with a restaurant-quality pizza oven, a 10-acre park and teacher planning rooms between classrooms."

I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere where it came in at over 750 million. but I could be mistaken.

Forum List

Back