Fear & Loathing in America

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
ESPN.com: Page 2 : Fear & Loathing in America

This article is from September 12, 2001 by Hunter S. Thompson.

The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now -- with somebody -- and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.

It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy. Osama bin Laden may be a primitive "figurehead" -- or even dead, for all we know -- but whoever put those All-American jet planes loaded with All-American fuel into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon did it with chilling precision and accuracy. The second one was a dead-on bullseye. Straight into the middle of the skyscraper.

We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once. Who knows? Not even the Generals in what remains of the Pentagon or the New York papers calling for WAR seem to know who did it or where to look for them.

Nine years later, though he is no longer with us, it seems Hunter S. Thompson was certainly dead on about his prediction.

The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now -- with somebody -- and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.

It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy. Osama bin Laden may be a primitive "figurehead" -- or even dead, for all we know -- but whoever put those All-American jet planes loaded with All-American fuel into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon did it with chilling precision and accuracy. The second one was a dead-on bullseye. Straight into the middle of the skyscraper.

We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once. Who knows? Not even the Generals in what remains of the Pentagon or the New York papers calling for WAR seem to know who did it or where to look for them.

Nine years later, though he is no longer with us, it seems Hunter S. Thompson was certainly dead on about his prediction.

Now you've done it...you've mentioned Hunter Thompson.

Now you've done it...you've mentioned Hunter Thompson.

So?

Wow, so this Hunter Thompson guy was a psychic?

and just what the hell is Christian jihad?

good grief

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, so this Hunter Thompson guy was a psychic?

and just what the hell is Christian jihad?

good grief

:rolleyes:
That is Hunter S Thompson to you.

You should really read one of his books, maybe you will learn something.

the hell if he is, he IS NOTHING TO ME, sweetie.

and read his books, no thanks, sounds boring and nutty to boot.

Last edited:
That is Hunter S Thompson to you.

You should really read one of his books, maybe you will learn something.

the hell if he is, he IS NOTHING TO ME, sweetie.

and read his books, no thanks, sounds boring and nutty to boot.
Boring? :lol:

You should know about bat country, though. :lol:

and you my dear have become one real bore yourself with your cute little insults. I yawn everytime I read them, then I laugh my ass off.

but hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

Last edited:
It's a guerilla war because that's the way Islam fights.

We aren't allowed to employ the same tactics, however.

The rest of the OP is just crap. We don't have a Christian jihad going, though there's certainly a Muslim one.

out of one side of their mouths they tell us we are not a Christian Nation. Out the other side they claim everything we do is in the name of an evil Christian agenda.

Priceless.

It's the way anybody who is entirely outgunned fights. Take a look at the Revolutionary War, you dolt.

I know, isn't it the pits not being allowed to purposefully target innocent civilians like the terrorists do?

The rest of the OP is just crap. We don't have a Christian jihad going, though there's certainly a Muslim one.

The OP nailed it ... and you, Allie, are a prime example of a fanatic Thompson described--playing your role in the battle by fueling the religious hatred that helps drive this war.

It's the way anybody who is entirely outgunned fights. Take a look at the Revolutionary War, you dolt.

I know, isn't it the pits not being allowed to purposefully target innocent civilians like the terrorists do?

The OP nailed it ... and you, Allie, are a prime example of a fanatic Thompson described--playing your role in the battle by fueling the religious hatred that helps drive this war.

I find it odd that MANY on the left claim that they sympathize with the Muslims for being mad at the mean old west but then turn right around and bitch about Americans who are mad at the Muslims.

PS - Allie has EVERY right to hate whomever she would like to hate as much as you hate that fact.

I find it odd that MANY on the left claim that they sympathize with the Muslims for being mad at the mean old west but then turn right around and bitch about Americans who are mad at the Muslims.

PS - Allie has EVERY right to hate whomever she would like to hate as much as you hate that fact.

I haven't seen anyone on the left "sympathize" with Muslims for hating America. I see people who acknowledge blowback.

"along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time"

I missed the part where peace in our time was at hand before 911.

---

"we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives"

nothing mysterious about the 9/11 terrorists and their masters. nothing mysterious at all.

---

"and led by merciless fanatics on both sides."

un-named merciless fanatic on our side. yes, I said 'our' side.

---

"Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once"

Hunter went with the assumption that 9/11 was perpetrated by Islamic terrorists. But we did not punish anyone but Saddam and the Taliban. Sad that we punished Saddam, but he had it coming.

---

"Not even the Generals in what remains of the Pentagon or the New York papers calling for WAR seem to know who did it or where to look for them."

Duplicitous at best. the last throes of Gonzo journalism.

pretty funny, but sad too. Hunter was a pathetic figure in many ways. I liked him, but I am fond of him only because of his past.

Good for you. The day that I "sympathize" with the Muslims for being mad at the west will be my first. Do I understand why they are mad and am I unafraid to acknowledge our own role in this mess? You betcha.

And I never said didn't have that right nor did I say that I hated the fact that she does have that right. Don't be an ass.

Last edited:

So how good was he at physics?

I thought about those skyscrapers for two weeks before I concluded that planes could not destroy buildings that big that fast.

Muslims Suspend Laws of Physics

Muslims Suspend Laws of Physics, Part II

It is like Americans need someone to hate and just need to be given an excuse.

Yeah, the Indians deserved what they got from the Christians.

The Laws of Physics don't give a damn about religion.

psik

Forum List

Back