Academy Awards Are a Farce

Acting actually is a rather difficult craft. So is screenwriting. Both require imagination, creativity, an ability to grasp human emotion, and intense concentration. I've always enjoyed interviews, such as James Lipton's, with actors in dramas when they are asked to describe their understanding of the characters they play. Acting in these roles is a very psychological process. And actors in movies have a more difficult time because movies are not shot in a linear fashion. One may find one's self in bed with someone in Prague before ever shooting the scene in which they first meet in NYC.

I took some writing classes a while back in things like fiction writing, screenwriting, and dialogue. The one thing that the teachers always stressed was, when creating a character, the writer first had to create the character's background, even if some of the events never were mentioned in the finished work, to shape the character, like who was James Bond when he was growing up? Only son of a housewife and an engineer? Good grades, or did he screw up? Just how did he end up On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

But I guess that some people just don't like movies.

Acting actually is a rather difficult craft. So is screenwriting. Both require imagination, creativity, an ability to grasp human emotion, and intense concentration. I've always enjoyed interviews, such as James Lipton's, with actors in dramas when they are asked to describe their understanding of the characters they play. Acting in these roles is a very psychological process. And actors in movies have a more difficult time because movies are not shot in a linear fashion. One may find one's self in bed with someone in Prague before ever shooting the scene in which they first meet in NYC.

I took some writing classes a while back in things like fiction writing, screenwriting, and dialogue. The one thing that the teachers always stressed was, when creating a character, the writer first had to create the character's background, even if some of the events never were mentioned in the finished work, to shape the character, like who was James Bond when he was growing up? Only son of a housewife and an engineer? Good grades, or did he screw up? Just how did he end up On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

But I guess that some people just don't like movies.
I have only written one movie script. It's copyrighted in the US copyright office in DC, and maybe I'll get somebody to buy it one of these days. There must be a lot of competition in this, because I've found it difficult even to get the attention of an agent.

It's a unique story that everyone who has heard about it, says they've never heard of any movie like it, unlike some movies that have been remade twice already.
Hey anybody out there wanna buy a movie ? I mean really. :biggrin:

My last theater visit was just over five years ago and I got in for free due to a coupon book that I had been given to the movie theater that I went to.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The film that I saw was Parental Guidance. It was okay.
Last year all the movies I watched were courtesy of fandango/Albertsons monopoly were I won an 85.00 credit.

Otherwise... I really don't pay to see movies very often. Most of them are crap.

I can say you have missed some excellent movies.

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Lost In Translation
Million Dollar Baby
The Hurt Locker
Mad Max: Fury Road
I saw some of them on DVD.

So its not new movies you dislike. You are too cheap to pay for a movie ticket?

The awards ceremonies are boring to me. So you know what I do? I don't watch them. I don't rant about them.

It is refreshing to see someone who is not "I like what I like, and if you don't you are wrong!".
As well as anyone simply exercising their freedom of speech - some of which may be derogatory, but that often helps to make things get improved.

You think they are going to cancel televising the Oscars because of your posts?
You think Hollywood is going to change the movies they make because you don't go to the theater?

I think you have a better chance of convincing people that they can be sent to prison (like hundreds of other have been) for calling a senior citizen a dumbass.

It is refreshing to see someone who is not "I like what I like, and if you don't you are wrong!".
As well as anyone simply exercising their freedom of speech - some of which may be derogatory, but that often helps to make things get improved.

I am all for someone exercising the right to free speech. That is what I am doing when I make fun of your thin-skin.

You think Hollywood is going to change the movies they make because you don't go to the theater?

I think you have a better chance of convincing people that they can be sent to prison (like hundreds of other have been) for calling a senior citizen a dumbass.
Of course Hollywood isn't going to change their virtue signaling liberal propaganda. They cater to left wing loons and hope they will make up a big enough audience to cover costs.

here we go

The gun control preachers ought to be required to show all the movies/scenes they've played, blasting someone to bits with a gun.

980x.jpg

Or maybe we could get a list of the people who do not understand what the word "fiction" means? You know, the ones who think an actor in a fictional movie actually fired guns at people? Those people need to be medicated.

Or do you dislike others exercising their right to free speech?

So its not new movies you dislike. You are too cheap to pay for a movie ticket?

The awards ceremonies are boring to me. So you know what I do? I don't watch them. I don't rant about them.
You can rant about what you choose to rant about, and refrain when you think that's the correct thing. I do that too. I'm cool with it, with or without you're blessing.

As for buying a movie ticket, you have to put up with noise in the theater that the managers don't always control so well, you can't adjust the volume (except in drive-ins), you sometimes get a kid kicking the back of your seat, you can't choose your refreshments other than the rip-off ones they sell, I hope you don't mind sticky floors under your feet, or gum on your seat, and I hope nobody gets shot by some crazed mass shooter who decided to pick movie theaters this month.

Now go check out my real art (as opposed to acting) in post # 43.

Who cares ? Are you kidding ? I haven't gone to a movie in 32 years. Can you think if anythung more meaningless ?

New movies are not needed. There are tens if thousands of movies out there (most on DVD). Thousands just from 2000 AD and newer.

Awards for what ? Acting ? Playing make believe ? We all act during our lives. This is something nonspecial, that requires little skill. Who hasn't recieved a birthday present, and acted as if they really liked it ?

Isn't it bad enough we have the ludicrous Grammys, with "awards" going to people who couldn't play a chord on a guitar or piano ? Some do nothing more than just talk (often profanity and racism) into a microphone.

How long can you stand seeing unimportant, grossly overpaid people who laughably think they're important ? This is me playing the baroque tune "Rights of Man" * on the mandolin. If any of the actors who just received an "award" can do this, I'll consider them deserving of an award.

* A tune of some difficulty, with 4 continuous triplets, played twice in 2 different octaves, and in the key of G (a bit more difficult key on the mandolin, than the typical/easier keys of D and A)

clip_image002.png
You are goofy

Of course Hollywood isn't going to change their virtue signaling liberal propaganda. They cater to left wing loons and hope they will make up a big enough audience to cover costs.

I am a conservative. So is my sweetie. She and I go see a movie every month or so. We occasionally go with friends, most of whom are conservative. It is entertainment.

OK - this the musical piece I tried to put into the OP and couldn't get it in. I slipped up a tiny bit on 3 notes toward the end, but got 97% done OK. This is what I consider to be an artistic accomplishment, in contrast to acting, which really anyone can do. And I didn't get paid millions of $$ for this.

In any case, for anyone interested in the music, It's a baroque (1689) piece played in 3 parts on the mandolin (flat bridge cousin of the VIOlin). Comes from the dual coronation of King William III & Queen Mary II. It's called "Rights of Man", and is a Irish style tune, composed in connection with the 1688 Declaration of the Rights of Man, and "bill of rights", by the English parliament.

It has historical significance in European history, and American also, as one of the forerunners of our US Constitution.[/QUOTE]

Well done. But, as I am sure you know, there are a LOT of talented musicians who would not survive without a day job. We have had this conversation before.

But if you think acting is not an art, you have not tried it or paid attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe we could get a list of the people who do not understand what the word "fiction" means? You know, the ones who think an actor in a fictional movie actually fired guns at people? Those people need to be medicated.

I do when their "speech" can have real negative effects like influencing kids to become violent. Disliking however, doesn't embark on censorship (ordinarily) in my case, but that doesn't let the actors off the hook, who hypocritically blast away with no limitations to get the big paycheck, and then yammer about how bad guns are.

Well done. But, as I am sure you know, there are a LOT of talented musicians who would not survive without a day job. We have had this conversation before.

I just don't think it rates as art, particularly relative to the tens of million$$ a year many of them are getting.

Last edited:

I just don't think it rates as art, particularly relative to the tens of millions a year many of them are getting.

You are welcome to your opinion. How much have you made playing music? The actors who make the big money do so because they are worth it. Their talent, and later their name, bring in bigger bucks to the studios.

I do when their "speech" can have real negative effects like influencing kids to become violent. Disliking however, doesn't embark on censorship (ordinarily) in my case, but that doesn't let the actors off the hook, who hypocritically blast away with no limitations to get the big paycheck, and then yammer about how bad guns are.

They "blast away" in a theatrical production that is pure fiction. Most people who watch movies know it is not real.

If what you say is true....they do that because the liberals are where the money is at. The conservatives are poor, tasteless, and unemployed.

You are welcome to your opinion. How much have you made playing music? The actors who make the big money do so because they are worth it. Their talent, and later their name, bring in bigger bucks to the studios.
HA HA. No offense. I just found that funny. I doubt that most actors got work based on anything related to "talent". More likely, knowing somebody, or doing something for somebody.

As for my income from music, I played 6 string electric guitar in a rock band for 9 years (during the 80s), and it was crucial to me then, as a major supplement to my dayjob work. I can't remember ever getting paid for my mandolin or violin playing (or fiddle - violin/fiddle same thing). Maybe I never really tried hard enough. I wouldn't know who to consult.

Probably a lot of musicians like me floating around. Sometimes you even see them playing outside a Walmart or some other big store, for tips. Its a sad sight - especially when you see movie actors getting so much, for doing so (relatively) little.

If what you say is true....they do that because the liberals are where the money is at. The conservatives are poor, tasteless, and unemployed.
The thread doesn't need poor, tasteless, and downright dumb postings.

:th_believecrap:

Forum List

Back