Abstinence only sex education works new study finds

I don't suppose there is any corolation between the kind of dork that would enroll in an abstinance course and a normal kid. :lol::lol::lol: Ya ...good luck with managing teen hormones..:lol::lol::lol:

Religious people are so far beyond stupid it boggles the mind.

You pay me to go to class, I'll attend damn near any lecture you want me to.

You are going to go to jail if you try to enroll in a jr high school and try to attend this titilating coarse. One of the only things worth being a teen ager guy is that you can legally dog teenage girls and act like a teenager and nobody cares. You try it Radio man and you are gonna geet a chi-mo jacket!:lol::lol::lol:

At least I'll meet Chris Hansen.

Wonder if he'll autograph a poster for me?

at least i'll meet chris hansen.

Wonder if he'll autograph a poster for me?

$epic-win-chris-hansen-autographs-pedo-bear.jpg

What study or research has there ever been into the validity of a teenager answering a question about sex?
None of these studies are valid. Teenagers lie.

sure, it's a study run by some religious wingnut zealot at some christian cow college, but it seems that abstinence only sex education is much more effective in preventing teen pregnancies and STDs than either traditional general health courses or courses that focus on safe sex.
it should also be noted that abstinence in this case does not refer to abstinence until marriage.

next thing you know, there'll be pictures of dinosaurs with jesus. :eek:

A study of middle-school students that found for the first time that abstinence-only education helped to delay their sexual initiation is already beginning to shake up the longstanding debate over how best to prevent teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

“This is a rigorous study that means we can now say that it’s possible for an abstinence-only intervention to be effective,” Dr. John B. Jemmott III, the University of Pennsylvania professor who led the study, said Tuesday, hours after results of the study were released. “That’s important, because for some populations, abstinence is the only acceptable message.”

In Dr. Jemmott’s research, only about a third of the students who participated in a weekend abstinence-only class started having sex within the next 24 months, compared with about half who were randomly assigned instead to general health information classes, or classes teaching only safer sex. Among those assigned to comprehensive sex-education classes, covering both abstinence and safer sex, about 42 percent began having sex.

Abstinence-Only Education Is Found to Delay Sex - NYTimes.com

I don't suppose there is any corolation between the kind of dork that would enroll in an abstinance course and a normal kid. :lol::lol::lol: Ya ...good luck with managing teen hormones..:lol::lol::lol:

Religious people are so far beyond stupid it boggles the mind.

well then you must be in church 24/7

This study was done in FL nursing homes. And ZERO pregnancies occured after the abstinance only training.

The problem with this news article is that it is claiming something that isn't true. The program wasn't an abstinence only program.

Other parts of the study's methodology is flawed. Easy enough to google to discover the flaws but here is one commentary on it.

Study Shows Abstinence Sex Education Works, But Not Well Enough - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)

Sorry, Jesus will not be appearing on a dinosaur any time soon.

At least that's what studies show.

while i'm sure mr schlesinger enjoyed taking a swipe at the departed mr bush,
he adds nothing to the debate. no, it wasn't an abstinance only program in the benighted sense of the late bush administration, but it did advocate for waiting until *you* felt ready and strategies for dealing with peer pressure.
i can't access the study, but i would be very surprised and disappointed if the abstinence group did not receive information on forms of birth control as part of the STD curriculum.

as i mentioned in an earlier post, i teach a sexuality course for middle schoolers and we only hope to equip them to make safe, intelligent choices about when and how to become sexually active. it seems to me that dr. jemmott may have made a contribution to that.
That's nice, Del. No one has ever argued that telling kids to abstain is a wrong thing to do. It is a great thing to do. But you know kids, a huge majority of them just aren't going to do it.

So tell them to wait and tell them if they don't what the consequences could be. And tell them if they cannot wait how to protect themselves.

The problem with this news article is that it is claiming something that isn't true. The program wasn't an abstinence only program.

Other parts of the study's methodology is flawed. Easy enough to google to discover the flaws but here is one commentary on it.

Study Shows Abstinence Sex Education Works, But Not Well Enough - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)

Sorry, Jesus will not be appearing on a dinosaur any time soon.

At least that's what studies show.

he adds nothing to the debate. no, it wasn't an abstinance only program in the benighted sense of the late bush administration, but it did advocate for waiting until *you* felt ready and strategies for dealing with peer pressure.
i can't access the study, but i would be very surprised and disappointed if the abstinence group did not receive information on forms of birth control as part of the STD curriculum.

as i mentioned in an earlier post, i teach a sexuality course for middle schoolers and we only hope to equip them to make safe, intelligent choices about when and how to become sexually active. it seems to me that dr. jemmott may have made a contribution to that.
That's nice, Del. No one has ever argued that telling kids to abstain is a wrong thing to do. It is a great thing to do. But you know kids, a huge majority of them just aren't going to do it.

So tell them to wait and tell them if they don't what the consequences could be. And tell them if they cannot wait how to protect themselves.

which is precisely what the dr running this study, and i and my colleagues, do. that's all i'm saying.

which is precisely what the dr running this study, and i and my colleagues, do. that's all i'm saying.
Fair enough. It isn't you I'm criticizing, it is the New York Time's for their stupid and incorrect headline.

Stupid liberal media.

Fair enough. It isn't you I'm criticizing, it is the New York Time's for their stupid and incorrect headline.

Stupid liberal media.

well, you're half right. they've got stupid down to an art form. i'll be interested to read the particulars of the study when they become available.

the headline really wasn't that bad, but they buried the part where this isn't bush's just say no abstinence program to far down in the story.

i'm not very dogmatic about too many things, but i firmly believe young teens having sex is not a good thing.

i admit my beliefs were slightly different when i was 15, but hey

Forum List

Back