ABC to Rasmussen: Answer our questions or else!

All four of these questions (after what we've experienced with alt-right media klaxxoning over the last four years) are slanted.
These are designed and targeted toward a specific group of people. They already know how these people are going to answer. :)
How should the questions have been worded?
Disclosure: I have written polling questions and had them reviewed by experts to make sure they were not slanted or worded to elicit a particular response and I do not see any slant in those questions. None of them draw any inferences other than the question is out there and Rasmussen is asking opinions about it.

How should the questions have been worded?
Disclosure: I have written polling questions and had them reviewed by experts to make sure they were not slanted or worded to elicit a particular response and I do not see any slant in those questions. None of them draw any inferences other than the question is out there and Rasmussen is asking opinions about it.
They shouldn't have been poll questions at all. After four years of the alt-right harping on election fraud, government interfere, and other assorted conspiracy theories, they knew the answers they were going to get would be slanted. Therefore, those of us who do watch polls around election time (they mean virtually nothing now), know to discard the extremes on both ends and then take the average of the rest.

it is because that's what ALL the polls averaged are saying.
And yet when actual elections happen ...

Trump underperforms the polls in primary elections.

Biden overperforms the the polls in primary elections.

Democrats tend to beat their Republican opponents by margins much bigger than the polls predicted. The Red Wave that every poll predicted in 2022 ... didn't happen.

On state ballot issues, liberals win by much bigger margins than polls predicted.

Reality says the polls are badly slanted towards Republicans.

In the world of double standards, ABC probably should be in at least top 5 or 10 with a letter to Rasmussen with demands that are so over the top I can't find a word to describe them. I would bet a good steak dinner that ABC has made no such demands to any of the leftwing polling groups or other networks (which are leftwing polling groups.)

With a long, very long laundry risks, of demands to Rasmussen, it is obvious to me anyway that the intent is to take Rasmussen out of the equation or another facet of cancel culture. What is really amazing about it is that Rasmussen gives Biden some of his highest approval ratings, but they do poll a lot of questions that are off limits to or problematic for leftists. Example: a recent poll showing 52% of likely voters think the CIA and other federal groups are likely interfering with the 2024 election.

So what do you think? Should Rasmussen comply with a competing polling organization's demands? Or give them the proverbial middle finger? (I would vote for the second choice myself.)

Sounds like Rasmussen needs to step up it's game or be excluded.

The demands in the letter were ridiculous. And any fair minded person would recognize them as such.

Let’s say that I announce that I can turn water into oil. You send me specific questions on how I achieve this. What would be your response if I denounced the questions as irrelevant? Would you say that I was being fraudulent?

Rasmussen has results outside the results from other polling groups. Those results are different than the actual elections. So methodology comes into question. Imagine it as a math teacher asking a student how they came up with that answer.

Rasmussen further claims they only call landlines. Most people have abandoned them. The people reporting on the polls want to know the reason behind this choice. And does that reason part of the cause of the inaccurate results.

The only way Rasmussen slants their polling at all is to ask question that the left is embarrassed to have asked because it makes them look bad at times. Not always. But at times. And Rasmussen always publishes the questions exactly as they are asked which most media polling groups do not. Rasmussen's questions are not slanted in any direction.

For instance here are the questions asked in the recent poll re federal intelligence agencies:

Yet another right-leaning poll

Their is no advantage to a candidate having higher poll numbers in the run-up to an election. If Rasmussen wanted to skew the results to favor Trump, they would show Biden running away with it. That would make many Biden voters decide to stay home and watch reality TV.

Let’s say that I announce that I can turn water into oil. You send me specific questions on how I achieve this. What would be your response if I denounced the questions as irrelevant? Would you say that I was being fraudulent?

Rasmussen has results outside the results from other polling groups. Those results are different than the actual elections. So methodology comes into question. Imagine it as a math teacher asking a student how they came up with that answer.

Rasmussen further claims they only call landlines. Most people have abandoned them. The people reporting on the polls want to know the reason behind this choice. And does that reason part of the cause of the inaccurate results.
Jesus Fuck! Do you suppose they have anyone on staff who has been educated beyond Statistics I? Apparently you do not.

You really should listen to somebody other than Nate Silver or other 538 staffers who are the ones now trying to destroy Rasmussen. Rasmussen is very open about how their polls are conducted:

Show how any question in the poll is right wing or left wing.

It's not their questions... it's their sampling. They only sample likely voters. In every poll. Likely voters lean right.

And while sampling likely voters on election polls is the most accurate and makes sense, limiting respondents to likely voters on non-election polls makes no sense. The only reason to do that would be to skew the results.

It's not their questions... it's their sampling. They only sample likely voters. In every poll. Likely voters lean right.

And while sampling likely voters on election polls is the most accurate and makes sense, limiting respondents to likely voters on non-election polls makes no sense. The only reason to do that would be to skew the results.
Really? Then where did Biden's 80 million votes come from? If you can't back up an argument and/or won't provide a reasoned rationale for it, you look really lame and hyper partisan when you make silly claims.

The MAGAitry do not want the same standards here applied to them as they do to the other side.
Plus trump has scrambled their brains and turned them into terminal cynics.

They believe everyone on the planet is as classless and unethical as their orange god is. They have to believe it. This is how they justify the orange slob's behavior to themselves.

Sounds like Rasmussen needs to step up it's game or be excluded.
And how should they step it up? What should they do they are not now doing? And FYI, if you look at the list of polling organizations 538 evaluates and rates, Rasmussen isn't on the list of some 300+ polling groups. They've excluded Rasmussen for some time from all appearances. Empty threat maybe for political purposes.

Jesus Fuck! Do you suppose they have anyone on staff who has been educated beyond Statistics I? Apparently you do not.
I have. It's part of my job. And the general rule of thumb is...you take the high and low (especially if you know they are skewed) and discard them.
The rest is averaged and you get a mean.

And it looks like they fudged their data. And then went on Bannon's Nuremberg broadcast and parroted it as truth. Which is what 538 appears to be complaining about. :)
Ahh the Democrat 'looks like' indictment.

I have. It's part of my job. And the general rule of thumb is...you take the high and low (especially if you know they are skewed) and discard them.
The rest is averaged and you get a mean.
But your population of data is skewed left. Bad data, bad stats.

Forum List

Back