CDZ A Word About "Mods".

What would be the point of being a moderator here if we couldn't "interact"? Who would do that?

You know we're not paid, right?
You know what I'm talking about. Interacting as in engaging in debates. Obviously you have to interact from time to time relating to the board.

I understand what you're saying. I'm asking why anyone would be a mod if it meant that they were no longer allowed to enjoy the site.
I had my own site for a while and I stayed away from debates because I noticed people were reluctant to argue with me and often left the thread if I engaged in the debate. I didn't think it was good for the site.

Here's the thing - this isn't my site. Like all the other mods here, I'm a volunteer - and the only reason I agreed to be a mod here is because I enjoy the site. If I wasn't allowed to enjoy the site, why would I waste my time moderating it?
If you were paid, but not allowed to post, would you do it?

I doubt it.

What would be the point of being a moderator here if we couldn't "interact"? Who would do that?

You know we're not paid, right?
You know what I'm talking about. Interacting as in engaging in debates. Obviously you have to interact from time to time relating to the board.

I understand what you're saying. I'm asking why anyone would be a mod if it meant that they were no longer allowed to enjoy the site.
I had my own site for a while and I stayed away from debates because I noticed people were reluctant to argue with me and often left the thread if I engaged in the debate. I didn't think it was good for the site.

Here's the thing - this isn't my site. Like all the other mods here, I'm a volunteer - and the only reason I agreed to be a mod here is because I enjoy the site. If I wasn't allowed to enjoy the site, why would I waste my time moderating it?
Do you feel your interaction is better or worse for it? Because if you feel its less then that backs my OP.

I feel that my "interaction" here is essentially the same now as it was before I was a mod.

Do you feel your interaction is better or worse for it? Because if you feel its less then that backs my OP.

I feel that my "interaction" here is essentially the same now as it was before I was a mod.
I guess you should count yourself lucky because its not the general finding. Like I said I'm not just talking here bout MANY boards blogs and forums all over the net.

Mods volunteer because they have no life and need validation.

Qualifications = always being available ( again due to having no life). That's it.
That definitely applies to a lot of mods. It makes them feel important and powerful. I knew one who gave the owner of the site money in exchange for making him an administrator. As soon as she did, he started over-moderating the site. Pissed everybody off. He started banning members he didn't like or who questioned his authority. He threatened everyone who argued with him in debates. People started leaving the site or just stopped posting anything. They finally got rid of him but the damage was already done. Last time I visited the site there were about a dozen people left and most of the threads were started by the owner with the same two or three people chatting about really stupid topics. The guy ruined what was once a good site.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pssssst. It ain't broke.

Meanwhile, those asked to mod...if they can and want to, they will. And in that asking, the admin has to be familiar with that person on how they handle themselves. Short fused posters, trollish posters, pot stirring posters, mean posters, vulgar posters, manipulative posters, etc...will NOT be asked.

Qualifications = always being available ( again due to having no life). That's it.
That definitely applies to a lot of mods. It makes them feel important and powerful. I knew one who gave the owner of the site money in exchange for making him an administrator. As soon as she did, he started over-moderating the site. Pissed everybody off. He started banning members he didn't like or who questioned his authority. He threatened everyone who argued with him in debates. People started leaving the site or just stopped posting anything. They finally got rid of him but the damage was already done. Last time I visited the site there were about a dozen people left and most of the threads were started by the owner with the same two or three people chatting about really stupid topics. The guy ruined what was once a good site.
I have seen that as well and its deadly to a board. Boards are always in flux just are the moods of the people are. When you "trim" to fit your agenda you kill that flux. Now mine was about 55/45 liberal and now its about 55/45 conservative not by trimming but just by natural growth and changing views.

Will it flux again? Has to in order to insure growth.

Pssssst. It ain't broke.

Meanwhile, those asked to mod...if they can and want to, they will. And in that asking, the admin has to be familiar with that person on how they handle themselves. Short fused posters, trollish posters, pot stirring posters, mean posters, vulgar posters, manipulative posters, etc...will NOT be asked.
That depends on the board owner. You would be surprised at the number of board owners who are self destructive right out of the gate.

Pssssst. It ain't broke.

That depends on the board owner. You would be surprised at the number of board owners who are self destructive right out of the gate.
THIS board owner has no intentions of self destructing. And no, DF, you will never be named a mod. Keep trying though. It's amusing to watch. Again.

Pssssst. It ain't broke.

THIS board owner has no intentions of self destructing. And no, DF, you will never be named a mod. Keep trying though. It's amusing to watch. Again.
I am talking about mods NOT this board or THESE mods but mods in general. I made that quite clear at the outset if you read the OP.

Now S.J. brought up and excellent point that ALSO figures into how mods are sometimes PRE-judged that being the victim of a "rogue" mod and THAT can be a problem.

That CAN carry over to another board and other mods no matter the fact they had nothing to do with the board/mod from where a person came from.

I guess you should count yourself lucky because its not the general finding. Like I said I'm not just talking here bout MANY boards blogs and forums all over the net.
I think you're missing a key element. Mods/staff can participate however and wherever they want. They can spend their forum time however they want, no one is keeping track of how they spend their time here. That includes how much moderating they are doing. They have total freedom to do as they please (within the guidelines of course) just as you do.

I've always said the most important thing for the mods to do is have fun FIRST, second and third. If its stressful and not fun they are doing something wrong :) There's no pressure, no requirements, no hours they should put in, no nothing. Don't want to handle an issue? Don't. Feel like taking a month or two or year off? No problem..have fun!

Like Doc pointed out, his interaction is the same as before he was a mod, and that's the way it should be. I wouldn't want it any different for them. New mods often ask "What do I need to do?" My answer is always "just have fun" Of course handling issues, spam etc will play a role but that goes without saying.

In closing there are no time commitments mods must adhere to or special rules (outside of forum rules) they must adhere to. Just have fun

How are mods chosen? Who does the choosing? Is this information available somewhere on the board?
You know I don't honestly know how it is done here. I'm sure most sites owners have ways to do it though. At mine I pick the Bosses aka admins and the Bosses pick the Under Bosses aka Mods.

But that is just speaking for me NO others.

I think you're missing a key element. Mods/staff can participate however and wherever they want. They can spend their forum time however they want, no one is keeping track of how they spend their time here. That includes how much moderating they are doing. They have total freedom to do as they please (within the guidelines of course) just as you do.

I've always said the most important thing for the mods to do is have fun FIRST, second and third. If its stressful and not fun they are doing something wrong :) There's no pressure, no requirements, no hours they should put in, no nothing. Don't want to handle an issue? Don't. Feel like taking a month or two or year off? No problem..have fun!

Like Doc pointed out, his interaction is the same as before he was a mod, and that's the way it should be. I wouldn't want it any different for them. New mods often ask "What do I need to do?" My answer is always "just have fun" Of course handling issues, spam etc will play a role but that goes without saying.

In closing there are no time commitments mods must adhere to or special rules (outside of forum rules) they must adhere to. Just have fun
Very well detailed repy, bravo. I was looking at the general approach and feeling that many have toward mods be it from another board OR the simple but un-warranted fear of interacting with a mod/admin or even owner.

Very well detailed repy, bravo. I was looking at the general approach and feeling that many have toward mods be it from another board OR the simple but un-warranted fear of interacting with a mod/admin or even owner.
Yeah I don't know where that fear (for lack of a better word) comes from. When staff/admin are on the forums participating as members, 'regular' members can aggressively defend their positions just as they would against any one else. Now if they are breaking the rules while doing it, well then thats just dumb. Some mods have a problem playing the cop role when they are involved in a thread, not me...I'll delete things and issue warnings if I see it :) There is no conflict of interest when someone is blatantly breaking rules. Again, thats their prerogative though.

I will say we got an awesome mod team. The best by far

That's new. Usually the mods and admin hit the owners and members up for money. :)

Yeah I don't know where that fear (for lack of a better word) comes from. When staff/admin are on the forums participating as members, 'regular' members can aggressively defend their positions just as they would against any one else. Now if they are breaking the rules while doing it, well then thats just dumb. Some mods have a problem playing the cop role when they are involved in a thread, not me...I'll delete things and issue warnings if I see it :) There is no conflict of interest when someone is blatantly breaking rules. Again, thats their prerogative though.

I will say we got an awesome mod team. The best by far
You do have an awesome crew you do. I think the fear mainly comes from users abused on other boards BEFORE they came here. Its kind of like if a man kicks a dog every day as that dog grows then sells it to a woman who is that dog more likely to bite?

Pssssst. It ain't broke.

They have and do.

Forum List

Back