A turn for the worse, Kennedy to now

Poor JFK, he never had any idea (though he probably should have) that he would be succeeded by someone who would start an unwinnable war on poverty, call it Great Society, and sow the first seeds of irresponsibility and dependence.

Kennedy's famous words invoke only smirks and derision, nowadays.

The War on Poverty was a New Frontier idea. President John F. Kennedy launched the proposal for a "war on poverty"

He said,
"How can we, as symbolically the children of the future president expect the the two of you, the three of you, to meet our needs...?"

He declared himself as a child of the government. Heck, he declared you and I as the same. He asked how the government was going to meet his needs in that context.

The government is not my fucking parent. The governments role is not to be a parenting aspect. And ever since that debate occurred, every subsequent (media controlled) presidential debate has centered around how the government should take care of people. Propagated by the media that thinks the government should be a nanny. But then, most of the media thinks you and I are stupid people that need government control and assistance.

It appears you're picking on his semantics to make a point that isn't there. Look at the context -- the question itself is about the tenor of the campaign ... not the roles of government. It's right there in your own video. The question... and the answer... are about the mudslinging political campaigning. There's no way around that.
So, you want to focus on that and I want to focus something different.

Then maybe you should go find a link that makes the point you want to make instead of pretending this one makes a point that it isn't making.

I'm just pointing out, what you're doing there is dishonest.

He still said,
"How can we, as symbolically the children of the future president expect the the two of you, the three of you, to meet our needs...?'
And ever since that statement, the media has focused on the government care in presidential debates.

Confirming that you're hung up on semantics and ignoring the inconvenient context. The complete question, in its context, is 'how can we expect the three of you (actually it would only be one of you) to meet our (the country's) needs, given that all you guys talk about is mudslinging each other personally?" Whether it's convenient to your agenda or not, that IS what he's saying.

"Always keep you eye on de ball" -- Chico Esquela

[/quote]

If by "our country's responsibility", you mean individuals devoting their time, money and effort to help others, then I agree with you.
If by "our country's responsibility", you mean government determining who gets help, then I disagree with you.[/QUOTE]
What a small minded and greedy way to look at things. Even after I post the Preamble of the Constitution you can not accept that our founding fathers wanted the government "... to promote the general welfare...."
Since apparently you do not understand that rather simple statement it means that our founding fathers wanted the government to work toward making the lives of Americans better.

It is wonderful when individuals give of their "time, money, and effort," but sometimes that is just not enough. If my neighbors house is destroyed by a flood I can offer my help. I can give them money. I can even help rebuild his home. But what if 10's or even 100's of thousands of homes are destroyed? Think of Hoboken, New Jersey. After Hurricane Sandy 80% of the city was underwater. The population of Hoboken is around 50,000 which means around 40,000 people were flooded out. There is no way individuals can give enough time, money, or effort to solve a problem of that magnitude. At that point it is imperative that the government come forward to do the job individuals cannot do. THAT IS WHAT GOVERNMENT IS SUPPOSED TO DO! It is supposed to do the jobs that individuals cannot do. It is supposed "...to promote the general welfare ...."

Last edited:
OP- Actually, we're just getting back to helping the battered non rich and poor, after 40 years of Pubs dismantling the Great Society policies and finally Reaganist pandering to the richest...It will take time, and won't get far until we tax the rich and corporations their fair share and invest in our people and infrastructure.

There's no new entitlement class, what there is are victims of Voodoo economics and finally a SECOND PUB GREAT WORLD DEPRESSION, HATER DUPES. see sig PARA 1.

John F. Kennedy once said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country". Powerful words and you can see them here,
John F Kennedy 'Ask not' - YouTube

Let us fast forward a few years and see a Kennedy generation child change those words into "How can we, as symbolically the children of the future president expect the the two of you, the three of you, to meet our needs......?" It can be seen here, 1992 Ponytail Guy Presidential Debate - YouTube

Every presidential political debate since Pony-Tail-Guy (I don't know his real name) has had questions about how the government is supposed to take care of people as opposed to how people take care of themselves or how people should control the government. A far distant or opposing position than Mr Kennedy held. And JFK was a liberal.

What the fuck has happened to this country? Why is it that some people somehow now think that the purpose of the federal government is to take care of them like some sort of nanny? Has the majority of voters decided that they want a "mommy" or "daddy" to take care of them? Vis-a-vis the federal government setting things like wages and health insurance mandates?

Grow up people, it's not the governments responsibility to make sure you have a home to live in, food on the table, medical care or anything else. It's your responsibility to provide for yourself and your family, not mine. Quit being fucking children.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nice of you to give one Kennedy quote, but how about some of his accomplishments?
-He was responsible for putting a man on the moon. Such a program today would be quickly voted down by the gop as a waste of money.
-He secured a limited test ban treaty with Russia. Should Obama try something like that he would immediately be called a Communist stooge and be condemned for not standing firm against Russia.
-He helped secure the passage of the Area Redevelopment Act which provided FINANCIAL assistance to states where people were suffering high unemployment. In other words, he promoted and passed a stimulus bill that would help the jobless. Once again, he would be soundly condemned by the gop of today for such an action.
-Under John F. Kennedy's administration, laws were put in place to end segregation in interstate travel facilities. Todays gop would object to such laws and complain they weren't needed.
The point is that JFK was concerned with promoting the "general welfare" of Americans. Today's gop wouldn't give a shit about the general welfare of Americans and it has shown this by working to destroy ACA and refusing to work for a jobs bill.

yea, we the people. not we the government. the constitution established that this country would be ruled by the people. government officials were elected to do the will of the people. but that's all changed. what we need is to get back to the original intent. we have strayed so far from the original intent. government no longer represents us, republican or democrat. but right now a democrat is in charge and right now a democrat is the one not representing us. an we all collectively need to pile the shit on Obama so heavily he has no choice but to start acting on our behalf. as long as you give the man in charge a pass he will act on his own will. and right now more than 50% of the population is responsible for facilitating this downward spiral we are in. Wake up Americans. Get some personal responsibility. take a little responsibility for your own decisions. Kennedy was president at a different time with different issues. we need a president that is focused on the issues of today. and the issues of today do not need an ever growing segment of society who is saying what is my country going to do for me? that is guaranteed failure. we are creating the social failures of a communist society in a democratic nation. apathy, entitlement, reliance on government. anyone who thinks we are making progess is blind as a bat.

Breaking News- When you count ALL taxes and fees, the poorest fifth pay 16 per cent, while everyone else pays 21 per cent.

In the fifties, corporations paid 35 per cent of all taxes- now 10 per cent. Shortsighted Reaganist bs...

Breaking News- When you count ALL taxes and fees, the poorest fifth pay 16 per cent, while everyone else pays 21 per cent.

In the fifties, corporations paid 35 per cent of all taxes- now 10 per cent. Shortsighted Reaganist bs...

libs love to spin doctor the facts don't they

3-230214145721.jpeg

John F. Kennedy once said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country". Powerful words and you can see them here,

Let us fast forward a few years and see a Kennedy generation child change those words into "How can we, as symbolically the children of the future president expect the the two of you, the three of you, to meet our needs......?" It can be seen here, 1992 Ponytail Guy Presidential Debate - YouTube

Every presidential political debate since Pony-Tail-Guy (I don't know his real name) has had questions about how the government is supposed to take care of people as opposed to how people take care of themselves or how people should control the government. A far distant or opposing position than Mr Kennedy held. And JFK was a liberal.

What the fuck has happened to this country? Why is it that some people somehow now think that the purpose of the federal government is to take care of them like some sort of nanny? Has the majority of voters decided that they want a "mommy" or "daddy" to take care of them? Vis-a-vis the federal government setting things like wages and health insurance mandates?

Grow up people, it's not the governments responsibility to make sure you have a home to live in, food on the table, medical care or anything else. It's your responsibility to provide for yourself and your family, not mine. Quit being fucking children.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nice of you to give one Kennedy quote, but how about some of his accomplishments?
-He was responsible for putting a man on the moon. Such a program today would be quickly voted down by the gop as a waste of money.
-He secured a limited test ban treaty with Russia. Should Obama try something like that he would immediately be called a Communist stooge and be condemned for not standing firm against Russia.
-He helped secure the passage of the Area Redevelopment Act which provided FINANCIAL assistance to states where people were suffering high unemployment. In other words, he promoted and passed a stimulus bill that would help the jobless. Once again, he would be soundly condemned by the gop of today for such an action.
-Under John F. Kennedy's administration, laws were put in place to end segregation in interstate travel facilities. Todays gop would object to such laws and complain they weren't needed.
The point is that JFK was concerned with promoting the "general welfare" of Americans. Today's gop wouldn't give a shit about the general welfare of Americans and it has shown this by working to destroy ACA and refusing to work for a jobs bill.

yea, we the people. not we the government. the constitution established that this country would be ruled by the people. government officials were elected to do the will of the people. but that's all changed. what we need is to get back to the original intent. we have strayed so far from the original intent. government no longer represents us, republican or democrat. but right now a democrat is in charge and right now a democrat is the one not representing us. an we all collectively need to pile the shit on Obama so heavily he has no choice but to start acting on our behalf. as long as you give the man in charge a pass he will act on his own will. and right now more than 50% of the population is responsible for facilitating this downward spiral we are in. Wake up Americans. Get some personal responsibility. take a little responsibility for your own decisions. Kennedy was president at a different time with different issues. we need a president that is focused on the issues of today. and the issues of today do not need an ever growing segment of society who is saying what is my country going to do for me? that is guaranteed failure. we are creating the social failures of a communist society in a democratic nation. apathy, entitlement, reliance on government. anyone who thinks we are making progess is blind as a bat.
You are concerned about people who cannot find jobs seeking government assistance. You think it is WRONG for the government to help individuals. Okay, what do you think about this: Last year Boeing made a profit of $5.9 billion. Not only did they not pay a penny in tax, THEY RECEIVED AN $82 MILLION TAX REFUND! Their federal tax rate was
-1.4%. I make less than $100,000 and paid +15%. You scream about some people receiving pennies and ignore corporate welfare in the billions. Is it possible that maybe they fooled you into looking at a grain of sand so that you would ignore the mountain right next to it?
Boeing Paid No Federal Income Tax Last Year: Analysis

You are concerned about people who cannot find jobs seeking government assistance. You think it is WRONG for the government to help individuals. Okay, what do you think about this: Last year Boeing made a profit of $5.9 billion. Not only did they not pay a penny in tax, THEY RECEIVED AN $82 MILLION TAX REFUND! Their federal tax rate was
-1.4%. I make less than $100,000 and paid +15%. You scream about some people receiving pennies and ignore corporate welfare in the billions. Is it possible that maybe they fooled you into looking at a grain of sand so that you would ignore the mountain right next to it?

so the solution is to take tax payer money that should be going to things like education and maintaining the infrastructure or borrowing money from china to put us further in debt? yea, we see what your kind of thinking has done for this once great nation. don't go bellyaching to me about evil corporations. they only take advantage of what government gives them. yep, your people loving democrats too. team Obama just singlehandedly gave the healthcare industry to insurance companies and pharmaceuticals. heck they just took the last major cost burden off the shoulders of corporations too and put it squarely on the taxpayer. smooth move

Good post, although I will say that it's our country's responsibility to take care of the disabled and elderly. Able bodied people should be working and they should make a living wage.

If by "our country's responsibility", you mean individuals devoting their time, money and effort to help others, then I agree with you.

If by "our country's responsibility", you mean government determining who gets help, then I disagree with you.

^^^^ doesn't know what he is talking about, lives in fantasy land.
If we left taking care of disabled and elderly up to just volunteering and private organization there would be a lot of abused homeless disabled and elderly people.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

It would have helped if you first understood what JFK was saying when he uttered those words.

John F. Kennedy’s inaugural address inspired children and adults to see the importance of civic action and public service. His historic words, “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,” challenged every American to contribute in some way to the public good.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/~/media/a.../Ask not what your country can do for you.pdf

shortly after he was elected when Obama was at his highest of highs he called for a civilian task force to come together and aid their fellow americans. looks like none of his democratic followers stepped up to the plate and were willing to give up their time

libs love to spin doctor the facts don't they

3-230214145721.jpeg

No, but Pubs have sure brainwashed you hater dupes. That chart is FEDERAL INCOME TAX ONLY, and payroll taxes are more than that now, let alone state and local taxes and fees, which have increased for thirty years to make up for cuts in federal aid. You're a perfect chump of the greedy idiot GOP. Functional IDIOT. Change the channel.

If we left taking care of disabled and elderly up to just volunteering and private organization there would be a lot of abused homeless disabled and elderly people.
Really? That's how it used to be done. So the elderly in the past were abused and homeless?

Notice she didn't post a link to validate her statement. LOL. I would be interested to see it.

Care for a little hint, one you might ignore. It's called finding out what is really happening with the money in D.C.
People are finding out that large corporations are at the trough and sending highly paid lobbyists to do their bidding.
So do you really want to deny them the knowledge of who is taking the power and money from this country?
Hmmmm!!

so the solution is to take tax payer money that should be going to things like education and maintaining the infrastructure or borrowing money from china to put us further in debt? yea, we see what your kind of thinking has done for this once great nation. don't go bellyaching to me about evil corporations. they only take advantage of what government gives them. yep, your people loving democrats too. team Obama just singlehandedly gave the healthcare industry to insurance companies and pharmaceuticals. heck they just took the last major cost burden off the shoulders of corporations too and put it squarely on the taxpayer. smooth move
Frankly, other than proving you hate Democrats I am confused by your post. Please explain this sentence fragment: "so the solution is to take tax payer money that should be going to things like education and maintaining the infrastructure or borrowing money from china to put us further in debt?"
Oh, and if ACA is such a bad thing how do you explain that it was originally proposed by The Heritage Foundation, a right wing think tank. And further, how do you explain that ACA is modeled after the same exact plan as the one put into place in Massachusetts by a republican governor. And finally, why has the republican party done everything in their power to destroy rather than improve ACA. Do you approve of people working their entire life and then developing a serious disease and end up having everything taken away from them? Are you for having millions of people having their lives shortened because they cannot afford regular medical care and are forced to emergency rooms when it is to late to prevent the damage that has been done? Do you think people should be placed in a position where they have to decide between purchasing food or medicine? Do you approve of insurance companies being able to pick and choose who they insure so that people with pre-existing conditions are left to die without care? Why do you hate your fellow Americans so much that you could care less when they become sick and are tossed into the gutter because they cannot afford healthcare?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back