A TERRIBLE presidentwii get a 2nd term

Coast into a second term? Keep telling yourself that. May as well not even spend any money at this rate.

sheople.jpg

The GOP electorate is waiting...

Coast into a second term? Keep telling yourself that. May as well not even spend any money at this rate.

Hey, don't knock it. In the past 30 years the best economic growth with a balanced budget was with a Dem POTUS (Clinton) and a GOP controlled congress.

Why, he's beating Romney in every poll out there? And the only reason Romney is beating Gingrich is that every Republican is coming out of the woodwork attacking Newt for him.

Obama hasn't even gotten started on Romney yet.

But as much fun as I will have pointing out what an inadequate candidate Romney is and blaming the idiots who supported him, ousting an incumbant is always a difficult thing.

Given a choice between the Devil you know and the devil you don't know, you go with the devil you know.

If you look at the incumbants voted out in the last century, Taft, Hoover, Ford, Bush-41, their parties had been in the White House a good long time. If you look at the one guy who got voted out when his party had only been there for four years, that being Jimmy Carter, you have to look at what it actually took to get him out.

1) A horrible economy- worse than this one is now.
2) A serious primary challenger indicating serious base dissatisfation.
3) A third Party capitalizing on that discontent.
4) A major international crisis where the US looked impotent. (Actually, there were two- Iran and Afghanistan)
5) A truly dynamic candidate (Reagan) running.

And after all that, Reagan still only got 50% of the vote. That was it.

So let's compare what we have now.

1) A bad economy as far as unemployment, but inflation is under control, interest rates are reasonable. There are deeper problems, but most of those predate Obama.
2) No primary challenge. The base is going to be pretty much on board, if slightly disappointed the oceans didn't recede.
3) If there is a third party at all, it will be capitalizing on Conservative discontent.
4) Internationally, we are in decent shape. Bin Laden's dead, Khadafy's dead, we're out of Iraq. Only Iran remains a possible fly in the ointment, and that could play any number of ways.
5) A candidate most of the party doesn't really want, who had a hard time showing empathy.

So, yeah, I'd put money on Obama unless the Wall Street goons wreck the economy again to get their guy in.

No way Romney or Gingrich defeats the dork

Yep, worked for Bush.

I remember how the press was writing off Bush and saying Kerry was kicking his ass.

Okay, using the above standard of why it's so difficult to get rid of an incumbant.

1) An economy that was getting better.
2) No primary challenge for Bush.
3) No third party challenge for Bush.
4) An international crisis that kind of worked in Bush's favor. The war was only 3 years in and we weren't tired of it yet.
5) A candidate who wasn't the least bit dynamic, but considered "safe".

I remember how the press was writing off Bush and saying Kerry was kicking his ass.

Yep, but a terrible president did get a second term.

I think everyone knows Bush was a much better president than Obama. People aren't as stupid as you think they are.

I don't know who everyone is. I think Bush was a better president, but not by a huge degree. He made HUGE mistakes that cost his party and the country dearly.

Here is the great part of all of this. The Republicans themselves are telling us why Newt and Romney shouldn't be president. They are showing us all of the flaws that they themselves find unacceptable in a president. They are comparring Romney to Obama and are tying Newt to Pelosi, are they saying that their candidates are liberal like Obama and Pelosi? Republicans are funny people to watch.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back