A Serious Question that apparently no one wants to answer

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Why, exactly, are America's restaurants and other food and service businesses having so much trouble finding workers? Restaurants, gyms, coffee shops, swimming pools, golf courses, retail stores...what gives?

The Politicization of Everything has resulted in the two sides opposing along the matter of extended and enhanced unemployment compensation. The political Right says the people who would normally be working these jobs are staying home because of the generous UEC benefits, while the Left says, No Way! People are NOT refusing to work because of the extra money! It's just the CHEAP employers being unwilling to pay fair wages!

But it wouldn't be that difficult to find the real answer. "We" know the names of the people who held those jobs before the Cajuna Virus took over; call them up and ask why they are not coming back. Better yet: stop the extended and enhanced UEC payments and see if there is any impact on the unfilled jobs.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Why, exactly, are America's restaurants and other food and service businesses having so much trouble finding workers? Restaurants, gyms, coffee shops, swimming pools, golf courses, retail stores...what gives?

The Politicization of Everything has resulted in the two sides opposing along the matter of extended and enhanced unemployment compensation. The political Right says the people who would normally be working these jobs are staying home because of the generous UEC benefits, while the Left says, No Way! People are NOT refusing to work because of the extra money! It's just the CHEAP employers being unwilling to pay fair wages!

But it wouldn't be that difficult to find the real answer. "We" know the names of the people who held those jobs before the Cajuna Virus took over; call them up and ask why they are not coming back. Better yet: stop the extended and enhanced UEC payments and see if there is any impact on the unfilled jobs.

Why don't you call them and get back to us?

Its a fair question really. I'm not sure what the cause is.

I tend to think it has less to do with "my life is at risk due to covid" when we have literally no problem finding nurses, technicians, etc....

I think its a matter of pay abvoe anything else. We do have trouble finding food service folks and the vendors we use for some of the dietary are having trouble with staffing too. As a result, day shift is almost 100% bringing their lunch instead of going to the cafeteria...line is too long and they can't get back to the station in time.

When you can make the same doing customer service from your house in your PJ's...why not do it?

Its a fair question really. I'm not sure what the cause is.

I tend to think it has less to do with "my life is at risk due to covid" when we have literally no problem finding nurses, technicians, etc....

I think its a matter of pay abvoe anything else. We do have trouble finding food service folks and the vendors we use for some of the dietary are having trouble with staffing too. As a result, day shift is almost 100% bringing their lunch instead of going to the cafeteria...line is too long and they can't get back to the station in time.

When you can make the same doing customer service from your house in your PJ's...why not do it?
I personally think Putin and Trump should share the blame cuz Biden is simply the best.

Don't tell me you disagree

Under any form of truer Capitalism; there is no unemployment only underpayment.

Here's how life works:

You get what you pay for. If you don't pay, you don't get.

Now I know you people loved your slavery back in the day when America was great, buy why is the above so hard to understand?

DGS49, I would assume if unemployment benefits had not been enhanced, more unemployed workers not having employment opportunities to work at home on electronic devices, would have been employed and consequentially there would have been increased illnesses and deaths due to the pandemic.
[Those increased illnesses and deaths would have been more prevalent among lower income earners and all other persons coming in contact with those workers.]

You suggest our government should eliminate the enhanced unemployment benefits and accept the risks of increased illnesses and deaths.
I suggest that enterprises recognizing the realities of our current labor markets must struggle with less workers or increase their compensation and induce those workers to accept the additional risks. Respectfully, Supposn

I don't know what you folks are more ignorant about...economics...or human nature!

When you pay someone more not to work than they can get by working...gee whiz...they stay home! Duh?

DGS49, I would assume if unemployment benefits had not been enhanced, more unemployed workers not having employment opportunities to work at home on electronic devices, would have been employed and consequentially there would have been increased illnesses and deaths due to the pandemic.
[Those increased illnesses and deaths would have been more prevalent among lower income earners and all other persons coming in contact with those workers.]

You suggest our government should eliminate the enhanced unemployment benefits and accept the risks of increased illnesses and deaths.
I suggest that enterprises recognizing the realities of our current labor markets must struggle with less workers or increase their compensation and induce those workers to accept the additional risks. Respectfully, Supposn
In my opinion, supply-side economics should have discovered better solutions at lower cost in a market-friendly manner.

The public sector can better utilize scale economies

In my opinion, supply-side economics should have discovered better solutions at lower cost in a market-friendly manner.

The public sector can better utilize scale economies
Daniel...I hate to break this to you, Little Buddy but when it comes to economics...your "opinion" is just about worthless. Why you continue to pretend you know something about the subject mystifies me. Don't have a clue how stupid you sound...do you?

Ive heard a couple of news programs about this, and one of the biggest reasons people are giving is that they realized just how much they hated their crappy service industry jobs. Many say they are looking for something else, something they enjoy, something that means something to them. They don't wanna go back.

Daniel...I hate to break this to you, Little Buddy but when it comes to economics...your "opinion" is just about worthless. Why you continue to pretend you know something about the subject mystifies me. Don't have a clue how stupid you sound...do you?
Repeating historical mistakes is what makes right-wingers so fantastical. Why is it right-wingers seem to prefer to be gun-loving rebels without a Cause than more civil Persons in our Republic. Only rebels without a Cause would stampede the Capitol of the Union.

Ive heard a couple of news programs about this, and one of the biggest reasons people are giving is that they realized just how much they hated their crappy service industry jobs. Many say they are looking for something else, something they enjoy, something that means something to them. They don't wanna go back.
Something where they get paid for sitting around the house? THAT kind of job? Oh wait...that wasn't a job...that was just politicians buying their votes with taxpayer money! Of course they don't want to go back! They liked sitting on their asses and they think that the Democrats will keep the money coming!

Repeating historical mistakes is what makes right-wingers so fantastical. Why is it right-wingers seem to prefer to be gun-loving rebels without a Cause than more civil Persons in our Republic. Only rebels without a Cause would stampede the Capitol of the Union.
Ah, I'm from Massachusetts, Sparky! As usual the person without a cause or a clue...would be you! :)

Maybe bosses will start learning to respect people, so people won't want to leave their jobs? Or maybe they'll just employ robots.

Where the fuck did you get that idea? I didn't say anything like that.
Don't want Universal Basic Income, Crepitus? The progressive wing of the Democratic Party does! They'd be more than happy to pay people to sit at home on their asses rather than work a "demeaning" job! But you don't want anything to do with THAT...right?

Maybe bosses will start learning to respect people, so people won't want to leave their jobs? Or maybe they'll just employ robots.
Oh, for god's sake...this notion that bosses don't respect their employees is so tired! The reality is that bosses absolutely TREASURE their good employees and will generally bend over backwards not to lose them! Do bosses not respect their bad employees? Heck, yeah! There's nothing worse than paying someone who could care less about the job. It drives bosses up the wall.

Forum List

Back