A Question about Medical Marijuana

In medical marijuana states, are there specific laws that deal with WORKING under the influence? Can a person be fired for smoking dope before work even if it is prescribed?

No flames please. I am concerned about how this will be handled in NJ in the near future.

I'm not quite sure of those specifics of the law in Maine.

I guess an easier question to ask would be: can a person be fired for taking pain medication?

In medical marijuana states, are there specific laws that deal with WORKING under the influence? Can a person be fired for smoking dope before work even if it is prescribed?

No flames please. I am concerned about how this will be handled in NJ in the near future.

I'm not quite sure of those specifics of the law in Maine.

I guess an easier question to ask would be: can a person be fired for taking pain medication?

If a person is consuming a pain medication/s that is affecting their central nervous system, to the detriment of their job performance, they should not be at that job. If they can't do the job for which they are being paid, an employer cannot be expected to keep them. The employee might be eligible for an entitlement program. Or another type of employment. :)

hey as much as i love my smoke...how many conditions are really treated with smoke.....i will give the weight issue....it does help people eat....but what else?

well depression....

i do get depressed when i am outta smoke

If it's ok for the policy makers in NJ........... :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

hey as much as i love my smoke...how many conditions are really treated with smoke.....i will give the weight issue....it does help people eat....but what else?

Precisely. It's not a cure for anything, and it does not do anything that other medications can't treat. There are other drugs to help with appetite. There are other pain medications. The truth is that marijuana gets people high, and so some doctors found an excuse to validate its use to treat medical conditions.

That's my concern Jon. I have no problem with a reasonable doctor prescribing a reasonable person with a reasonable illness with whatever works. But we all know there are plenty of docs who prescribe just about anything if the patient requests it. And unfortunately, my area is populated with a very, very, large group of substance abusers.

Once someone gets that card (and I'm thinking of 18 yr olds), they will be able to go to a dispensary and purchase whatever they need, no? And that's where the schools may have some problems.

I don't think it's likely that the privilege will be abused right away. But I'm thinking five years down the road - an idiocracy.

Unintended consequences.

o now jon back off a wee bit....it really does help with chemo....where other drugs wont....as far as naseau...it will help with that...and people with ms....it does help them....but the average joe blow will be getting it for depression etc

one can take anti naseau drugs but the tend to knock you out...working by simply shutting down your system for a few hours....when i take my anti vomit pills...i will be asleep in 1/2 hour. makes it really hard to do much....

That's a good question and I don't know the answer to it here in Maine which is a MM state.

But I cannot imagine that you can fired for taking your medicine.

After all, people on far stronger pain medications can't be fired because they're on them.

I suspect that it depends on what kind of work you're doing.

If you're driving a school bus it's probably not a good idea to spark one up before you drive your route.

I think i'd have to be stoned to drive around a bus load of screamin' 13 yr olds....~S~

Precisely. It's not a cure for anything, and it does not do anything that other medications can't treat. There are other drugs to help with appetite. There are other pain medications. The truth is that marijuana gets people high, and so some doctors found an excuse to validate its use to treat medical conditions.

I'm sorry Jon but you are TOTALLY wrong about MJ you may want to educate yourself about the MANY ways that MJ is the BEST drug for the job in MANY ways.

Pot needs to be legalized and regulated just like alcohol. I don't use either and never have. If it is legalized, it can be treated just like alcohol in the workplace. Tests won't matter because it is legal. If you smoke or drink on your own time, no problem. If you show up at work stoned or drunk, you get fired.

The problem as I pointed out is that you will test positive for marajuana even if you haven't used that day or week for that matter.

If it's legal, there is no need to test for it and/or it can be ignored if it shows up in a test. The issue would be if they are stoned or drunk at work, not if it shows up in their system from use last night or last month.

Not so. If your work has a drug policy, at least in Oregon, it doesn't matter if you have a prescription or not.

Likewise, although you can get a prescription for it and get a grower's license to grow it, it doesn't matter. If you get busted, you are still busted.

"On October 19, 2009, the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) issued a memorandum to provide clarification and guidance to federal prosecutors in states that have authorized the medical use of marijuana. The guidance makes it clear that USDOJ is committed to prosecuting enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act, but that, as a general matter, federal resources in states with medical marijuana laws should not be focused on individuals who are "in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana." Prosecution of commercial enterprises that unlawfully market and sell marijuana for profit will continue to be a priority of USDOJ

"The guidance from USDOJ does not make the use of medical marijuana legal under federal law, and does not create a defense to a federal prosecution for a drug related offense."
Oregon Medical Marijuana Act - Legal Information

But we all know there are plenty of docs who prescribe just about anything if the patient requests it.

If by saying "plenty", you mean "a very, very small number", then you are correct.

You are right. Sorry about that doc. Let's just say I've got a few friends in the biz who would give ME pretty much anything I asked for - not that I would ever take advantage. And if Mary Jane is so harmless, I'm sure many might consider it an alternative to Tylenol, right?

Can we include dentists in that group?

The problem as I pointed out is that you will test positive for marajuana even if you haven't used that day or week for that matter.

If it's legal, there is no need to test for it and/or it can be ignored if it shows up in a test. The issue would be if they are stoned or drunk at work, not if it shows up in their system from use last night or last month.

Not so. If your work has a drug policy, at least in Oregon, it doesn't matter if you have a prescription or not.

Likewise, although you can get a prescription for it and get a grower's license to grow it, it doesn't matter. If you get busted, you are still busted.

"On October 19, 2009, the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) issued a memorandum to provide clarification and guidance to federal prosecutors in states that have authorized the medical use of marijuana. The guidance makes it clear that USDOJ is committed to prosecuting enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act, but that, as a general matter, federal resources in states with medical marijuana laws should not be focused on individuals who are "in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana." Prosecution of commercial enterprises that unlawfully market and sell marijuana for profit will continue to be a priority of USDOJ

"The guidance from USDOJ does not make the use of medical marijuana legal under federal law, and does not create a defense to a federal prosecution for a drug related offense."

You're missing my point. Legalization. Currently, pot is against federal law and most state laws. If legalized federally, it makes a huge difference as it would be no different than alcohol. Now, can a company deny employment to someone who drinks or smokes pot? Sure they can.......but because it is against their policy, not because it is an illegal controlled substance. Look, I've been to many a work conference where everyone goes out in the evening and gets drunk on their ass and have hangovers the next morning during the conference. I've yet to see a single one of them get fired....because drinking is socially accepted. I think someday, pot will be made legal and no one will think twice about someone lighting up after dinner and going to work the next morning.

Someday maybe kwc. However I will pour myself a drink in front of my kids, but I would never light up a joint around them - even if prescribed or legal. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I just read an article that claims that cannabis use can increase the risk of schizophrenia, especially amongst young people. Unintended consequences again. And the govt. is worried about salt?

This Schizophrenia Bulletin (2008) paper tells us:

Cannabis use is considered a contributory cause of schizophrenia and psychotic illness. However, only a small proportion of cannabis users develop psychosis. This can partly be explained by the amount and duration of the consumption of cannabis and by its strength, but also by the age at which individuals are first exposed to cannabis. Genetic factors, in particular, are likely to play a role in the short- and the long-term effects cannabis may have on psychosis outcome. … Evidence suggests that mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are likely to underlie the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Pajamas Media Why I No Longer Support Decriminalizing Marijuana

Someday maybe kwc. However I will pour myself a drink in front of my kids, but I would never light up a joint around them - even if prescribed or legal. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I just read an article that claims that cannabis use can increase the risk of schizophrenia, especially amongst young people. Unintended consequences again. And the govt. is worried about salt?

This Schizophrenia Bulletin (2008) paper tells us:

Cannabis use is considered a contributory cause of schizophrenia and psychotic illness. However, only a small proportion of cannabis users develop psychosis. This can partly be explained by the amount and duration of the consumption of cannabis and by its strength, but also by the age at which individuals are first exposed to cannabis. Genetic factors, in particular, are likely to play a role in the short- and the long-term effects cannabis may have on psychosis outcome. … Evidence suggests that mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are likely to underlie the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Pajamas Media Why I No Longer Support Decriminalizing Marijuana

I understand what your saying. We keep no alcohol in our house and would never consider drinking in front of our son. I said in an earlier post that I never drink. That isn't entirely true. The amount of alcohol I consume in a year's time wouldn't even equal what some folks I know would drink in one evening out. I'd venture a guess that I didn't even consume six beers over the last year and it has been probably two years since I had a mixed drink. I just don't see the attraction to alcohol or drugs as a regular activity.

In response to you linked article, read what former NM Governor Gary Johnson has to say about legalization.

http://reason.com/archives/2001/01/01/americas-most-dangerous-politi

Last edited:

You're missing my point. Legalization. Currently, pot is against federal law and most state laws. If legalized federally, it makes a huge difference as it would be no different than alcohol. Now, can a company deny employment to someone who drinks or smokes pot? Sure they can.......but because it is against their policy, not because it is an illegal controlled substance. Look, I've been to many a work conference where everyone goes out in the evening and gets drunk on their ass and have hangovers the next morning during the conference. I've yet to see a single one of them get fired....because drinking is socially accepted. I think someday, pot will be made legal and no one will think twice about someone lighting up after dinner and going to work the next morning.

They might get fired if they smelled of alcohol and were asked to test, though.

But we all know there are plenty of docs who prescribe just about anything if the patient requests it.

If by saying "plenty", you mean "a very, very small number", then you are correct.

You are right. Sorry about that doc. Let's just say I've got a few friends in the biz who would give ME pretty much anything I asked for - not that I would ever take advantage. And if Mary Jane is so harmless, I'm sure many might consider it an alternative to Tylenol, right?

Can we include dentists in that group?

Marijuania is not an analgesic.

It is effective as a mucle relaxant, though, for that sort of pain stemming from muscle strain.

Forum List

Back