A Question about Medical Marijuana

Also good for people who have digestive/appetite issues and some who have anxiety issues.

Not so. If your work has a drug policy, at least in Oregon, it doesn't matter if you have a prescription or not.

Likewise, although you can get a prescription for it and get a grower's license to grow it, it doesn't matter. If you get busted, you are still busted.

"On October 19, 2009, the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) issued a memorandum to provide clarification and guidance to federal prosecutors in states that have authorized the medical use of marijuana. The guidance makes it clear that USDOJ is committed to prosecuting enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act, but that, as a general matter, federal resources in states with medical marijuana laws should not be focused on individuals who are "in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana." Prosecution of commercial enterprises that unlawfully market and sell marijuana for profit will continue to be a priority of USDOJ

"The guidance from USDOJ does not make the use of medical marijuana legal under federal law, and does not create a defense to a federal prosecution for a drug related offense."
Oregon Medical Marijuana Act - Legal Information

You're missing my point. Legalization. Currently, pot is against federal law and most state laws. If legalized federally, it makes a huge difference as it would be no different than alcohol. Now, can a company deny employment to someone who drinks or smokes pot? Sure they can.......but because it is against their policy, not because it is an illegal controlled substance. Look, I've been to many a work conference where everyone goes out in the evening and gets drunk on their ass and have hangovers the next morning during the conference. I've yet to see a single one of them get fired....because drinking is socially accepted. I think someday, pot will be made legal and no one will think twice about someone lighting up after dinner and going to work the next morning.

They might get fired if they smelled of alcohol and were asked to test, though.

Yes, but the conferences I went to where this happened........management was as drunk as the employees. Drinking on your personal time and working just isn't frowned on as long as the drinking and being drunk isn't immediately before going to work. Hell, airline pilots can drink to their heart's content as long as they consume their last drink a set number of hours prior to flying.

Last edited:
You're missing my point. Legalization. Currently, pot is against federal law and most state laws. If legalized federally, it makes a huge difference as it would be no different than alcohol. Now, can a company deny employment to someone who drinks or smokes pot? Sure they can.......but because it is against their policy, not because it is an illegal controlled substance. Look, I've been to many a work conference where everyone goes out in the evening and gets drunk on their ass and have hangovers the next morning during the conference. I've yet to see a single one of them get fired....because drinking is socially accepted. I think someday, pot will be made legal and no one will think twice about someone lighting up after dinner and going to work the next morning.

They might get fired if they smelled of alcohol and were asked to test, though.

Yes, but the conferences I went to where this happened........management was as drunk as the employees. Drinking on your personal time and working just isn't frowned on as long as the drinking and being drunk isn't immediately before going to work. Hell, airline pilots can drink to their heart's content as long as they consume their last drink a set number of hours prior to flying.

Not so. They can drink to their heart's content so long as they're not under the influence when they are working.

That means if they drank themselves into oblivion the night before, and still have alcohol in their system, they're outta there. It doesn't matter if their last drink was 2 or 10 hours before.

Someday maybe kwc. However I will pour myself a drink in front of my kids, but I would never light up a joint around them - even if prescribed or legal. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I just read an article that claims that cannabis use can increase the risk of schizophrenia, especially amongst young people. Unintended consequences again. And the govt. is worried about salt?

This Schizophrenia Bulletin (2008) paper tells us:

Cannabis use is considered a contributory cause of schizophrenia and psychotic illness. However, only a small proportion of cannabis users develop psychosis. This can partly be explained by the amount and duration of the consumption of cannabis and by its strength, but also by the age at which individuals are first exposed to cannabis. Genetic factors, in particular, are likely to play a role in the short- and the long-term effects cannabis may have on psychosis outcome. … Evidence suggests that mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are likely to underlie the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Pajamas Media Why I No Longer Support Decriminalizing Marijuana

And the fact that you see no problem with DRINKING in front of your children shows how lame the double standard is. I have seen hundreds of people get hing and not ONCE did I see someone who was high get VIOLENT. People who have been DRINKING on the other hand I have seen BEAT UP on people for little to NO reason. Which do you believe is more harmful to society? I know for a FACT that alchohol is MUCH more destructive.

Also good for people who have digestive/appetite issues and some who have anxiety issues.

Started smoking hemp again when I was about 45 years old.

Haven't had a (serious) panic attack in the last 14 years.

I am "high" for about a half hour a day, usually in the late afternoon after I smoke a bone.

The other 23.5 hours is thankfully, panic attack free.

Got pretty much the same outcome with pharmaceutic drugs, but they cost more and their side effects are much worse than being slightly euphoric for a half hour or so daily.

The prohibition on hemp is a crime against humanity and individual freedom, too.

Someday maybe kwc. However I will pour myself a drink in front of my kids, but I would never light up a joint around them - even if prescribed or legal. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I just read an article that claims that cannabis use can increase the risk of schizophrenia, especially amongst young people. Unintended consequences again. And the govt. is worried about salt?

Cannabis use is considered a contributory cause of schizophrenia and psychotic illness. However, only a small proportion of cannabis users develop psychosis. This can partly be explained by the amount and duration of the consumption of cannabis and by its strength, but also by the age at which individuals are first exposed to cannabis. Genetic factors, in particular, are likely to play a role in the short- and the long-term effects cannabis may have on psychosis outcome. … Evidence suggests that mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are likely to underlie the association between cannabis and psychosis.

My problem with them saying it can contribute to teens getting schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses, this is the time they would be developing these sort of problems anyways. And what if they have already developed something, and it is their way of self medicating?

I don't think marijuana increases the risk of schizophrenia. People who have schizophrenia enjoy cannabis, as well as meth and speed. It makes them feel more normal.

In medical marijuana states, are there specific laws that deal with WORKING under the influence? Can a person be fired for smoking dope before work even if it is prescribed?

No flames please. I am concerned about how this will be handled in NJ in the near future.

Absent a specific contract to the contrary, an employment relationship is deemed to be "at will", meaning the employer can terminate the employee for any reason not prohibited by law, such as EEOC elements, etc. Even if alleged, it is still mostly up to the employee/plaintiff to prove.

Unless NJ courts specifically prohibit it nows or in the future, then to argue any violation of public policy/implied right of action as in WA's case that was cited in anothe post here, under that act, it is legal.

If you read that link, the court said NO to both claims by the ex employee. I also read the whole decision online.

I don't think marijuana increases the risk of schizophrenia. People who have schizophrenia enjoy cannabis, as well as meth and speed. It makes them feel more normal.

Strangely though, nicotine is their drug of choice. The proposed pharmacology is that it blocks dopamine receptors (if I remember right) and reduces the positive symptoms of schizophrenia.

I've run into bipolars who relied exclusively on MJ to manage their manic and depressive states.

That's my concern Jon. I have no problem with a reasonable doctor prescribing a reasonable person with a reasonable illness with whatever works. But we all know there are plenty of docs who prescribe just about anything if the patient requests it. And unfortunately, my area is populated with a very, very, large group of substance abusers.

Once someone gets that card (and I'm thinking of 18 yr olds), they will be able to go to a dispensary and purchase whatever they need, no? And that's where the schools may have some problems.

I don't think it's likely that the privilege will be abused right away. But I'm thinking five years down the road - an idiocracy.

Unintended consequences.

Which might be a valid point, but ignores that fact that the biggest drug problem in this country is prescription narcotics which also get people high.

At least MJ isn't highly addictive like narcs.

How can you be certain that people that later develop schizophrenia are already trying to self-medicate at a young age?

In other words, this study is flawed.

Anxiety issues and back pain are the two ailments that most concern me Allie. Who doesn't claim to have that?

Lots of people. What is your point? Do you think that people can't suffer from back problems or anxiety?

I don't think MJ is a good treatment of anxiety. SSRIs are first line and then benzos if necessary. MJ will treat anxiety, but it also makes the person non-functioning. Most people need to address their anxiety in a manner that allow them to work and go about their day.

How can you be certain that people that later develop schizophrenia are already trying to self-medicate at a young age?

In other words, this study is flawed.

Yeah......I saw this piece of shit as well. Interestingly enough, 65 percent of the participants in the study ALREADY HAD MENTAL ISSUES! And, interestingly enough, their results are pretty close to what they started with.

Nope.....this is anti cannabis propaganda along the same lines as Reefer Madness, which was commissioned by Anslinger and the government, to scare people away from smoking pot and allow them to pursue their racist agenda, i.e. locking up all the users of cannabis, which happened to be mostly (like 90 percent) Hispanic and Black.

Yes. Cannabis was made illegal for greed (Dupont and the publisher) and racist motivations.

As far as which is better, alcohol or cannabis? Cannabis every time is less harmful to the human body.

When I first joined the Navy back in '82, it was just starting to drug screen the troops. 2 of the guys that I worked with were stoners, and drank very little.

They were always ready to work at 7:30 am. Me? I'd go out and drink and would be useless until 11:30 or 1:00 pm.

I then became a DAPA, which meant that I had to learn about drugs and alcohol and how to spot people who were using on duty, as well as had to learn how to counsel them, what the physical and mental effects were on the body.

After 20 years (8 of which was a DAPA), I retired. 6 months after retirement, I started to smoke cannabis after I'd done about 6 months worth of research on what it did.

Been smoking for the past 8 years and haven't had any problems. Matter of fact, it seems to make me more active and wanting to do stuff.

Also, I'm lots more creative.

There are several other studies backing up the schizophrenia claim. I'll look for them later, but the risk is small. There are other risks that are much greater, like brain development in people under 25.

My point about anxiety and back pain is that anyone can CLAIM to have it even if it is not chronic. I don't pretend to know how easy or difficult it is to get a "card" but it's not like getting a 30 day prescription, is it? Isn't the card good forever?

That's why I am asking questions.

There are several other studies backing up the schizophrenia claim. I'll look for them later, but the risk is small. There are other risks that are much greater, like brain development in people under 25.

My point about anxiety and back pain is that anyone can CLAIM to have it even if it is not chronic. I don't pretend to know how easy or difficult it is to get a "card" but it's not like getting a 30 day prescription, is it? Isn't the card good forever?

Depends on your doctor and condition. Some will give you a permanent card (kinda like you would get a handicapped sticker or license plate, you get a temp, and if your condition continues, you get a permanent one), or some will make you renew every 6 months to a year.

And.....there are many conditions that marijuana can be prescribed. Go to the NORML (National Organization for Reorganization of Marijuana Laws) website, it's a really good jumping off point for the information you're looking for.

You'd rather punish people that are helped by it because some doctors might be unethical? That's what is sounds like you are saying.

well can i get a 'script for just being an a**hole?

i mean, i think i'd be way less of an a**hole with say, just a joint and a brew every afternoon

small price to pay for the peace achieved really........~S~

To my knowledge, there is one study about MJ and schizophrenia.

Since we don't know the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, it's hard to make direct correlations.

People can malinger to get any type of medication they want; narcs, benzos, etc so it's not just inherent to MJ. Low back pain is a real problem, and there are not really many options for treating the 20% that don't resolve on their own in a month.

Forum List

Back