A Phony Hero for a Phony War

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by longknife, Nov 17, 2012.

1. longknife

longknife Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,513
    Lucian K Truscott
    New York Times
    16 Nov 2012

"What's wrong with a general looking good?" you may wonder. I would propose that every moment a general spends on his uniform jacket is a moment he's not doing his job, which is supposed to be leading soldiers in combat and winning wars — something we, and our generals, stopped doing about the time that MacArthur gold-braided his way around the stalemated Korean War.
    And now comes "Dave" Petraeus, and the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. No matter how good he looked in his biographer-mistress's book, it doesn't make up for the fact that we failed to conquer the countries we invaded, and ended up occupying undefeated nations.

Read more @ Understanding Each Other, Diversity and Dissent: A Phony Hero for a Phony War from our Indian Friend at Understanding Each Other blog.

2. longknife

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,513
    How Did General Petraeus Earn His Bronze Star

by War News Updates Editor

[​IMG]
    (Click on Image to Enlarge)

Petraeus Allegedly Earned A Bronze Star For Combat Valor 'Without Firing his Rifle' -- Business Insider

The most that has been publicly documented about Petraeus in real, actual combat is a mortar shell that landed near him in Iraq in 2003.

Yet he came away from the conflict with a Bronze Star for Combat Valor.

It's not uncommon to see a valor award on an upper level military officer, but a lot of those were earned in their days at lieutenants or, for former enlisted Mustang officers, their time as low-ranking 'straight-leg' grunts.

One Army Colonel, recently interviewed for an article in Time Magazine, described Patraeus as "a remarkable piece of fiction."

Read more ....http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WtcRRKOf_Cs/UKannRFnJ8I/AAAAAAABBPc/BxjKGIhLusw/s400/youtube_logo.gif

Comment: The knives are out for David Petraues.

I've looked at this guy's chest for a long time, having a hunch most of it was BS. Now, I know for certain. Even the Bronze Star is phoney – the guy never fired a weapon at ANY enemy in combat!

3. longknife

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,513
    Laughingstock: Taliban Official Mocks Petraeus Affair

After the all the laughter the Taliban has had at Obama's expense over the past four years, reports indicate they are now getting a kick out of General David Petraeus' affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.

It was only days after Obama won reelection that the Taliban gloated that he was going to have to pull out of Afghanistan and admit that the U.S. "has lost the war." Now, they're laughing at the man who commanded the soldiers who fought them in Afghanistan.

When asked about Petraeus' affair during an on-air interview with AFP in northwest Pakistan this week, a Taliban official burst into laughter.

The anonymous jihadist took the opportunity to ponder what the former CIA director's fate should be: "From a Pashtun point of view, Petraeus should be shot by relatives from his mistress's family. From a Shariah point of view, he should be stoned to death."

The Taliban official went on to say he is not shocked by Petraeus' behavior in the least: "It's quite normal for Americans and Western people to behave like this."

Read more @ Laughingstock: Taliban Official Mocks Petraeus Affair

4. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    We were never supposed to win in either Afghanistan or Iraq. Victory is not a word in the democrat vocabulary. We were supposed to fight them until they gave up and became a democracy. Well, a lot of the nations in the middle east did become democracies and voted to destroy their history, kill infidels and oppress their people.

5. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,760
    I had a friend that served in the European theater of operations during WWII. He had enlisted after Pearl Harbor and ended up as an infantryman in Italy. He lost his right leg and wore wore the CIB, and two ribbons, European theater and Purple Heart. Next to some of thirty-year officers with their ribbons from shoulder to waist he looked naked while their ribbons were bazzling to behold and spoke hero to all.
    But then he winked at me.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Evil stepson returned from first of two Afgh deploys with the Bronze Star.
    I read the accounts of his commendation. It wasn't pretty.

7. Franticfrank

Franticfrank Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Military history will look fondly on Petraeus, despite any circumstances surrounding his Bronze Star. He was an excellent and effective combat leader in charge of the 101st Airborne in Iraq in 2003. And he was instrumental in implementing the surge and getting the United States out of Iraq, more than likely saving many lives in the process. The objective was not to conquer the countries invaded.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Wait....you're not telling me that OFFICERS GET MEDALS THEY OFTEN DO NOT DESERVE, are you?

:lol:

I'm shocked --shocked!--to learn that there's gambling in this establishment, Rick.

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    These were wars started by Republicans and left for Democrats to clean up.

10. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    I thought the UN as well as a gaggle of U.S. Democrats put their full weight and support behind Afghanistan. Iraq may be debatable.