Missiles over Tel Aviv 'Iron Dome'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wavingrl, Nov 17, 2012.

1. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    from Drudge>>>
    Iron Dome intercepts 2 Fajr-5 missiles aimed a... JPost - Defense

I tried to read it.

Can anyone provide a brief summary.

Time to head to a secure, underground location?

eta: somewhat easier to understand/CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/17/world/meast/gaza-israel-strike/?hpt=hp_t1

'A White House spokesman, saying "the precipitating factor for the conflict was the rocket fire coming out of Gaza" into civilian areas, stressed that "Israel has a right to defend itself. He also underscored the importance of Israel avoiding civilian casualties.

"Israel is going to make choices about its own military operations," said Ben Rhodes, White House deputy national security adviser for strategic communications. "I think there's a broad preference for de-escalation if it could be achieved in a way that ends that threat to Israeli citizens."

Conclusion--US is sticking to its guns--leading from behind. What may be 'in the works'--behind the scenes--isn't clear to me. If it is 'necessary'---when it is necessary--to defend the US --we are well prepared to do what is needed. If I had to guess.

Confident that our POTUS is clear about that and can be inflexible about any form of manipulation. He proved that to me. Difficult job. I have read a bit about Harry Truman and what it is like to 'get the call'. It seems the decision made after Hiroshima was 'be prudent and patient'. I agree.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    The United States has allocated a total of $275 million for Iron Dome...
    :eusa_eh:
    Iron Dome: Missile defense system a game changer, Israelis say
    Sat November 17, 2012 - Israel's missile system targets rockets fired from Gaza; In 2011, Israeli military said Iron Dome had 70% success rate, IHS Jane's says; The system is highly mobile and can be set up in hours
    See also:

Israel bombards Gaza Strip, shoots down rocket
    17 Nov.`12 — Israel destroyed the headquarters of Hamas' prime minister and blasted a sprawling network of smuggling tunnels in the southern Gaza Strip on Saturday, broadening a blistering four-day-old offensive against the Islamic militant group even as diplomatic efforts to broker a cease-fire appeared to be gaining steam.

3. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I had a chance to ask my neighbor he sort of explained the Iron Dome concept to me.

Thanks for your fyi--I'll read it when I have a chance.

So--I guess the US feels since we chipped in for the Iron Dome that we have done 'enough' for the present?

We should never allow any entity to manipulate or pressure us--I agree with that.

I hope Russia and China are also receiving that message. Who can say? 'Everbody' wants something---sometimes the answer has to be 'No'--not at this time and for some, 'Never'?

I think so.

4. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,846
    Tanks pushing the Palestinians into the sea will work even better.

5. Franticfrank

Franticfrank Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good to see the missile defenses working well.

6. CrotchetyGeezer

CrotchetyGeezer I have a red pencil box.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If it wasn't for this Iron Dome system, I suspect scores more of Israeli men, women and children would be being killed due to these rockets being fired by Hamas. And, I suspect, the poor Palestinians will act like 10-year-olds and call "no fair", as if there's anything "fair" in life. I notice the left-wing Muslim sympathizing media is making sure they get their film footage of dead and wounded Palestinian children but, of course, don't mention much of anything about the dead and wounded Israeli children. And, not to mention, the media ignoring the fact that if it wasn't for that Iron Dome system, there would be untold numbers more dead and wounded Israeli children.

Watching just a three minute news segment at this very moment on CBS, they've shown two minutes and 59 seconds of screaming, crying and waling Palestinians and one second of Israelis firing their Iron Dome missiles. As if to say there's not a single Israeli citizen suffering from and being terrified of these missiles Hamas is firing. The media's bias is so transparent it's pathetic. It's like...No, there aren't any Israelis screaming, crying and waling due to these Hamas missiles. They're all sitting home all nice and comfy watching TV and having a good ol' time, to watch the media portray it.

7. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Did CBS mention the nearly one hundred UNSC Resolutions that Israel is violating by maintaining an illegal occupation in Palestine?

Have you ever heard any corporate media point out how, in 1948, one-third of the population of Mandate Palestine inflicted a Jewish State by force of arms upon the Arab majority?

8. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Is this opposed to the untold UN violations initiated by Palestinians and the rest of their Muslim bro's? Further, there is no "illegal occupation" of Palestine. You clearly are exceptionally ignorant of the history of that region.

Further, don't talk to me about the Partition of Palestine plan. In that plan, the Palestinians would have gained more than half the area which is now Israel and the Palestinians rejected it outright and them and their Muslim bro's proceeded to try and invade Israel and, then, Israel proceeded to wipe the desert floor with their asses and, now, boo hoo, Israel gets to enjoy the spoils of that war it was the Palestinians and their Muslim bro's started.

9. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Why are Jews the only nation on the planet allowed to steal land their ancestors conquered thousands of years ago?
    Do the Lenape have equal rights to Manhattan?
    Or are you just another ignorant racist?

10. CrotchetyGeezer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Allowed to steal whose land whose ancestors conquered thousands of years ago? Do you even know what the hell you're talking about? Have you even ever actually picked up a history book or an encyclopedia? Or, are you too busy being indoctrinated by propagandists who vomit nothing but lies and made up stories? The only ones who stole land here were the Palestinians and the rest of their Muslim horde.

Further, that land has been invaded and conquered by so many different entities throughout the centuries that, for you to imply that you have license on the area because Muslims once conquered the area is a laughable joke. The Ptolomies of Egypt and the Seleucids of Syria conquered it. The Romans conquered it. Later, the Crusaders conquered it. Napoleon conquered it. All kinds of entities conquered it. But, the fact of the matter is this. Prior to all this, it was the Semites such as the Amorites, Canaanites, Aramaeans and Hebrews who occupied this territory.