A Personal View Of Jupiter

Five planets are visible to the naked eye. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, named for Roman gods.

Technically six, though you'd have to know it was a planet and where to look. From the darkest sky locations if you know right where it is, a person with good vision can just barely see Uranus. I did so once in 2006.

Don't you have to use a mirror to see Uranus?
Selfie stick....Admiral.....selfie stick....

250px-Jupiter_family.jpg

There are 79 moons floating around Jupiter that we know of...amazing planet...

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean more interesting.

BIG-1-she-became-famous-after-precio.jpg

If I may.....Jupiter in the Ancient world...was one of their most important gods ....
Just wanted to mention this...here too

m73byRf.jpg

another personal view...of Jupiter.....the god....after the planet of course....but all this means a lot ....mythology, ancient World and all that.

Jupiter.

G5Jj4g8.jpg

True. Especially if you take into account the fact that Jupite is just a massive gas giant that has a reputation of being ill-behaved and its most prominent feature is a superstorm the size of Earth.

It's super big but apparently not suitable for any kind of biological life which makes it quite boring in the eyes of non-scientists - just another gas giant in our galaxy.

P.S Though it must be noted that Jupiter is still useful for us in many ways. Not only does Jupiter tell us the hidden secrets of our sollar system but it protects Earth form being hit by near earth objects.

Last edited:
If I may.....Jupiter in the Ancient world...was one of their most important gods ....
Just wanted to mention this...here too

Jupiter or Jove is the ruler of Thursday or Thor's Day, and so is associated with thunder. Jupiter is also associated with the god Zeus as The Bringer of Jollity. Jupiter is also the ruling planet of the houses of Sagittarius and Pisces.

True. Especially if you take into account the fact that Jupite is just a massive gas giant that has a reputation of being ill-behaved and its most prominent feature is a superstorm the size of Earth.

It's super big but apparently not suitable for any kind of biological life which makes it quite boring in the eyes of non-scientists - just another gas giant in our galaxy.

The Great Red Spot is large enough to swallow many Earths. Scientists have hypothesized the possibility of life living in certain upper layers of the atmosphere where both the temperature and pressures are suitable.

As for it being boring to the eyes of non-scientists, are you kidding me? You obviously never have had a good look through a big telescope. And closer up via a space probe:

2018-12-18_19-30-30.jpg

great timing-- I just got 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010:YWMC
Wish they would finish the series on the big screen.
2061 Odyssey 3 and
3001 The Final Odyssey.
yes--we need a new, innovative space movie
Star Wars is getting old..Last Jedi sucked

Have you followed The Orville? Lighthearted and comical at times, but has some teeth-crunching bad ass science fiction in it at times as well. They are now at war with a population of artificial life forms bent on destroying all biological life in the galaxy.

The Great Red Spot is large enough to swallow many Earths

No, it is not.

Measuring 16,350 km (10,160 mi) in width as of 3 April 2017,Jupiter's Great Red Spot is 1.3 times the diameter of Earth. The cloud-tops of this storm are about 8 km (5.0 mi) above the surrounding cloud-tops.

Scientists have hypothesized the possibility of life living in certain upper layers of the atmosphere where both the temperature and pressures are suitable.

But still there has been no compelling evidence of Jupiter harboring life. Just a lot of assumptions without any proof. Following your logic, I can assume that you are an alien from Jupiter. I'm also hypothesizing. So what?

are you kidding me

No, are you a scientist? If you are, you should understand that the general public is more eager to learn about newly found earth twins in some neighboring galaxy rather than drool over Jupiter which is just in our backyard and doesn't have the same appeal as a distant planet in a far away galaxy that might be inhabited by intelligent aliens. I know it sounds stupid but it is what it is.

Anyways, thank you for this thread!

Last edited:
The Great Red Spot is large enough to swallow many Earths

No, it is not.

Better check again.
Great Red Spot on Jupiter

But still there has been no compelling evidence of Jupiter harboring life. Just a lot of assumptions without any proof. Following your logic, I can assume that you are an alien from Jupiter. I'm also hypothesizing? So what?
Can the garbage, PW. All I said is that science has hypothesized . . . I said NOTHING about it being true, or proof. And let's not "follow your logic" too closely to anything.

No, are you a scientist? If you are, you should understand that the general public is more eager to learn about newly found earth twins in some neighboring galaxy rather than drool over Jupiter which is just in our backyard and doesn't have the same appeal as a distant planet in a far away galaxy that might be inhabited by intelligent aliens. I know it sounds stupid but it is what it is.
Actually I AM a retired scientist who almost went into astronomy as my career, have TAUGHT astronomy and STILL run a professional astronomy forum for various people in the science field. First of all, WE CAN'T SEE Earth twins in neighboring galaxies, fool, we are lucky to find planets in nearby star systems much less even the nearest galaxy. So right there you have disqualified yourself from all serious consideration. Second of all, Jupiter is one of the most interesting and often sought after things for people to ask about and want to see at star parties. Are YOU a scientist? No. Do you own telescopes? No. Do you actually interact with the public regularly on astronomy and science matters as I do? No. Have you orchestrated the building of public observatories and planetariums for the public education as I have? No. Just one more USMBer who talks out of their ass.

Look at this simulation. You cannot fit three earths into the great red spot because Jupiter's Great Red Spot is 1.3 times the diameter of Earth

WE CAN'T SEE Earth twins in

Where did you read in my post that we can see earth twins? I said that ordinary people are more interested in learning about earth like planets in our or other galaxies. Here is the list for you:List of potentially habitable exoplanets - Wikipedia

And don't play scientist with me. I could not care less who you are. What really matters is what you are wrtiting here. And you don't even know the real size of the great red spot and instead of accepting your mistake, act like an asshole.

Last edited:
great timing-- I just got 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010:YWMC
Wish they would finish the series on the big screen.
2061 Odyssey 3 and
3001 The Final Odyssey.
yes--we need a new, innovative space movie
Star Wars is getting old..Last Jedi sucked

Have you followed The Orville? Lighthearted and comical at times, but has some teeth-crunching bad ass science fiction in it at times as well. They are now at war with a population of artificial life forms bent on destroying all biological life in the galaxy.
negative-- I usually don't have time during the week/etc

Look at this simulation.
Screw your "simulation." Is that where we are now where people think YouTube videos a source of scientific data? What am I talking to, a 6th grader? Are you even an adult? I guess you just didn't read the article I linked to where it said: "It is large enough to contain two or three planets of Earth size." I guess you don't know the GRS also varies somewhat in size.

Where did you read in my post that we can see earth twins?
Who ever said anything about SEEING Earth twins? No one SEES planets around other stars. They infer them from interferometric and photometric data. And they DON'T see them in neighboring galaxies.

If you want to see the two brightest and most interesting planets Jupiter and Saturn right now, they are in the morning sky. If you have a clear eastern horizon, you can see them probably after midnight.

At 3:30AM, Jupiter is EXACTLY due south. To the East you can find paler, yellower, Saturn:

We just had a storm. I have a nice view from a park nearby or flat school yard and park on clear nights. I have seen Jupiter on those mornings. I used to look for the North star and then find something that was just as bright and large away from it and that was Jupiter. I guess I didn't know what and where to look for Saturn. That said, I'll have to wait at least ten days as the forecast is cloudy for the next ten days :(.

If you want to see the two brightest and most interesting planets Jupiter and Saturn right now, they are in the morning sky. If you have a clear eastern horizon, you can see them probably after midnight.

At 3:30AM, Jupiter is EXACTLY due south. To the East you can find paler, yellower, Saturn:

We just had a storm. I have a nice view from a park nearby or flat school yard and park on clear nights. I have seen Jupiter on those mornings. I used to look for the North star and then find something that was just as bright and large away from it and that was Jupiter. I guess I didn't know what and where to look for Saturn. That said, I'll have to wait at least ten days as the forecast is cloudy for the next ten days :(.

They don't move much. It takes Jupiter about 12 years to go around the sky and Saturn about 30. So they won't move much.

A friend of mine in South Florida (Pembroke Pines north of Miami) whom I gave early training to as an astrophotographer (over the internet on a group I run) just sent me his latest image of the planet Jupiter I thought I might share with those interested here.

His original file was a TIFF which I converted to exif-JPEG to reduce file size small enough for showing here and did a little additional clean-up reprocessing to.

Image was taken with a Celestron 11 SCT (folded mirror/lens) telescope. The four images are the individual LRGB channels and the resulting composite color image (the other three combined):

View attachment 261033

th

Cool!!! Thanks for sharing.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Forum List

Back