A Personal View Of Jupiter

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
A friend of mine in South Florida (Pembroke Pines north of Miami) whom I gave early training to as an astrophotographer (over the internet on a group I run) just sent me his latest image of the planet Jupiter I thought I might share with those interested here.

His original file was a TIFF which I converted to exif-JPEG to reduce file size small enough for showing here and did a little additional clean-up reprocessing to.

Image was taken with a Celestron 11 SCT (folded mirror/lens) telescope. The four images are the individual LRGB channels and the resulting composite color image (the other three combined):

Jupiter Color Composite May 4 2019.jpg

A friend of mine in South Florida (Pembroke Pines north of Miami) whom I gave early training to as an astrophotographer (over the internet on a group I run) just sent me his latest image of the planet Jupiter I thought I might share with those interested here.

His original file was a TIFF which I converted to exif-JPEG to reduce file size small enough for showing here and did a little additional clean-up reprocessing to.

Image was taken with a Celestron 11 SCT (folded mirror/lens) telescope. The four images are the individual LRGB channels and the resulting composite color image (the other three combined):

View attachment 261033

That was really freakin' cool! Thanks. "Spying on Jupiter"? How magnificent !:th_thgoodpost:

Those are beautiful ... and illustrative of why I no longer am interested in Astronomy. Don't get me wrong. Astronomy is really the first science. The science of The Enlightenment and the development of The Scientific Method was born out of Astronomy. Some of our first truly scientific pioneers like Galileo and Kepler were primarily Astronomers.

I was raised in cities my entire life and only glimpsed the stars at Boy Scout camps and the like. When I was in college I took an Astronomy class. My professor was way cool and built his own telescopes. He had just finished his latest creation, a 200 pound Schmidt-Cassegrain that needed three people just to set it up.

He took us up in the San Gabriel Mountains in the middle of Winter on a moonless night and we froze our collective butts off for hours setting this up and waiting for 'good seeing'. When we finally glimpsed Jupiter, it was pretty awesome. We could define moons and see the red spot pretty clearly.

But, then, only a couple of years later, we began getting photos back from Voyager of Jupiter in really high definition (for the time). Better than anyone had ever seen early unless they worked at Mount Palomar or some other such place.

And these pics didn't require schlepping a huge hunk of metal and glass up to a mountain and freezing your tush off waiting to get a glimpse. You could buy these pics by picking up a copy of National Geographic or Scientific American.

That, for me, ended my interest in practical Astronomy.

Those are beautiful ... and illustrative of why I no longer am interested in Astronomy. Don't get me wrong. Astronomy is really the first science. The science of The Enlightenment and the development of The Scientific Method was born out of Astronomy. Some of our first truly scientific pioneers like Galileo and Kepler were primarily Astronomers.

I was raised in cities my entire life and only glimpsed the stars at Boy Scout camps and the like. When I was in college I took an Astronomy class. My professor was way cool and built his own telescopes. He had just finished his latest creation, a 200 pound Schmidt-Cassegrain that needed three people just to set it up.

He took us up in the San Gabriel Mountains in the middle of Winter on a moonless night and we froze our collective butts off for hours setting this up and waiting for 'good seeing'. When we finally glimpsed Jupiter, it was pretty awesome. We could define moons and see the red spot pretty clearly.

But, then, only a couple of years later, we began getting photos back from Voyager of Jupiter in really high definition (for the time). Better than anyone had ever seen early unless they worked at Mount Palomar or some other such place.

And these pics didn't require schlepping a huge hunk of metal and glass up to a mountain and freezing your tush off waiting to get a glimpse. You could buy these pics by picking up a copy of National Geographic or Scientific American.

This guy is an IT for a bank and takes these from his warm front yard on the weekends. Believe it or not, Jupiter is also visible in the Spring, Summer and Fall. ;)

This guy is an IT for a bank and takes these from his warm front yard on the weekends. Believe it or not, Jupiter is also visible in the Spring, Summer and Fall. ;)

You always remember your first time ... and it can scar you for life.

As a teenager I ground and polished a four inch reflector and had it aluminized. A rolled up sheet of aluminum held the optics which was mounted on a war surplus spindle atop a fence post supported by a quadripod of flanges and water pipes.

I was rapt seeing four moons of Jupiter, and the rings Saturn. I got up early one morning to see the crescent of Venus and kept tracking it even after the sun came up.

And yes space probes have taken away that mystery forever.

A related subject: As a teenager I found a circuit diagram for a short wave radio and built it from mail order Radio Shack parts. I was learning the Morse code and tried to keep up with the beeps among the static. I kept hearing the voices, "CQ CQ..." of radio hams from all over the US including the exotic distant Florida.

Cell phones have completely destroyed that era of excitement.

Times are changing.

You can see Jupiter with the naked eye on clear nights. I've seen Jupiter, but not sure of the other planets that are supposedly visible -- Mars, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury.

You can see Jupiter with the naked eye on clear nights. I've seen Jupiter, but not sure of the other planets that are supposedly visible -- Mars, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury.

I think AOC is from Jupiter Or Saturn, But probably Ur anus. Everybody knew that was coming! Bernie maybe from there too.

Five planets are visible to the naked eye. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, named for Roman gods.

Five planets are visible to the naked eye. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, named for Roman gods.

Technically six, though you'd have to know it was a planet and where to look. From the darkest sky locations if you know right where it is, a person with good vision can just barely see Uranus. I did so once in 2006.

Technically six, though you'd have to know it was a planet and where to look. From the darkest sky locations if you know right where it is, a person with good vision can just barely see Uranus. I did so once in 2006.
I live far enough out to see them with the naked eye. Helps to find them with the star map app the wife has on her phone.

Before the last light of day. The brightest couple of first stars are typically planets.
Catch a lot of satellites in the dark eastern sky as they catch and reflect the fading sunlight from the west.

I live far enough out to see them with the naked eye. Helps to find them with the star map app the wife has on her phone.

If you know exactly where to look, you can see the planets and brighter stars even by daylight. I have about 15 paper star atlases to about the 12th magnitude (98X fainter than the unaided eye can see), and about a dozen computer software atlases including one to the 18th magnitude. That is about as faint as a backyard telescope can photograph.

If you want to see the two brightest and most interesting planets Jupiter and Saturn right now, they are in the morning sky. If you have a clear eastern horizon, you can see them probably after midnight.

At 3:30AM, Jupiter is EXACTLY due south. To the East you can find paler, yellower, Saturn:

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 11.41.46 PM.jpg

Jupiter is east of red Antares seen with red arrow. Saturn is due south of Altair seen with blue arrow. Jupiter probably rises in the east around midnight and Saturn around 1-1:30AM. If you get up later before daybreak to go to work, you'll find them setting low in the southwest.

Those "clouds" are the Milky Way.

You are looking at Scorpio (Antares),
Sagittarius (between the planets),
Aquila (Altair),
Ophiuchus (big box near center)
and Libra (right of Scorpio).

Don't you have to use a mirror to see Uranus?

250px-Jupiter_family.jpg

There are 79 moons floating around Jupiter that we know of...amazing planet...

Forum List

Back