X.P. Alidocious

<a href="http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L01586260.htm">
Pope wants new international order to keep peace</a>

By Claire Soares

VATICAN CITY, Jan 1 (Reuters) - The world needs a "new international order"
to solve its conflicts and ensure peace, Pope John Paul said in his New Year's
Day address on Thursday.

The ghosts of 2003 -- when the United States invaded Iraq without United
Nations approval -- dominated the pope's first speech of 2004.

"More than ever we need a new international order which draws on the
experience andresults of the United Nations," the 83-year-old pontiff said at a
mass in St Peter's Basilica.

"An order which is capable of finding adequate solutions to today's problems,
based on the dignity of human beings, on integrating all society, on solidarity
between rich and poor countries, on the sharing of resources and the
extraordinary results of scientific and technological progress," he added.

Speaking at Christendom's largest church, the pope urged people not to lose
hope of finding peace in the Holy Land, which the Vatican feels is vital to
winning the war on terror.

"The land in which Jesus was born sadly continues to live in a dramatic
condition. And in other parts of the world sparks of violence and conflict have
not been extinguished either. But we need to persevere and not bow to the
temptation of losing hope."

Turning to Africa, the pope paid tribute to his Burundi ambassador, Michael
Courtney, killed on Monday in an ambush the army has blamed on rebels who
have refused to join a peace process to end a 10-year conflict.

"(He) was tragically killed...while he was going about his mission of promoting
dialogue and reconciliation. We pray for him and hope his example and
sacrifice will bear the fruits of peace in Burundi and the world," the pope said.

The leader of the world's one billion Catholics, who suffers from Parkinson's
disease that makes it difficult for him to talk, seemed alert and read all of his
homily in a clear voice.

But it is unclear what 2004 holds for him. For the first time since his election in
1978, the pope enters the new year with no firm plans for travel, although there
have been some invitations.

He was particularly weak on his last foreign trip, a visit to Slovakia in
September, when aides had to read most of his addresses for him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all due respect, what good would this do?

The people who want peace are already doing their best to get it. The people
who don't are fighting against it.

An International Peace Order seems more than a little silly to me.
Almost as silly as praising the U.N.

An International Peace Order seems more than a little silly to me.

Have to agree with you there, however as a Catholic I wouldn't expect different from the Pope. With that said, I've found much of the screed coming out from the Vatican lately in the category of 'Useful Idiots.' To be expected.

If someone non-Catholic wrote that, I probably would feel they were Catholic bashing. Go figure.

Well, I am not Catholic myself, though I didn't intend this
post to be a Catholic-bashing one. Just a post against what
seems to me to be fluffy n' hugs, logic lacking anti-war sentiment.

and on that we agree. As I said, it's what I expect from the Pope. Even on the subject of 'just war' which he made pretty clear applied to Afghanistan, he still 'hoped/prayed for Peace.'

Gotcha :) Just wanted to make it clear that I hadn't intended to bash Catholics.

No fear. I think your comments in the original post were on point and relevant. It's suprising though how much bashing there is of Catholics, we are the go to group. Granted the pedophile priests and coverup made it easy pickens, yet only an idiot couldn't see what a small number this was.

The pedophiles only help add to prejudice that was there already.
Some of it, I think, is justified, some's definitely not. The Catholic
Church is a very large institution. That makes it easy for problems
to enter at many levels. Because of its hierarchical nature, some are
hard to fix. But my guess is that the church would run into opposition
with or without those problems. Christians have since ever they
began.

Just stay strong, this period of opposition will pass. In the meantime,
I hope that the problems that have been brought to light will be
dealt with more easily.

mary poppins, you are way correct. The true teachings of the Church haven't changed and are upheld by most Christian sects. What's funny is that our Protestant brethren don't realize how Protestant so many of the US Catholic churches have become.

I teach in a Catholic school. The pastor that is responsible for it refuses to have a crucifix or representation of Mary/Holy Family/saints/stations of the cross in the church. For some 'weird reason' some of the parishioners have a problem with this. For myself, I feel that I'm in my Presbyterian friend's house of worship. An Episcopal or Lutheran church would seem more 'normal' to myself.

You're right, I certainly can't really tell how protestant Catholic churches have become, mostly because I don't know enough about Catholic Church history to know what they were like to begin with.

I do recall my Dad marveling at hearing a Luther song sung
in a Catholic church, though, so I think you're probably right
about the change.

It's interesting to hear your perspective on that. I hadn't really ever thought about it before.

Interesting post. I'm deducting that your dad was Catholic and Mom protestant, as you are?

Both my parents were Catholic, my ex was Jewish of a sort. In spite of his being an idiot, I'm pretty pro-Israel.

US Catholic church somewhat different than 'Catholic Church' but only in some aspects.

Yes, whatever happened to the good old days when Catholicism would just mount crusades to slaughter islamics. the Pope needs to "get with the program".

The people who wanted peace already protested by the millions, what else can they do?

-Bam

You should read a bit more about the Crusades. I'm over 40 and have BA in history. Can't say the Crusades ever caught my interest, since I'd been taught they were 'our' fault. Since 9/11 been doing a bit more reading and seems we were all taught some early 'revisionist history.' It wasn't just the Catholics that were at the bottom of this, notice I am not saying they were innocent either, but heh like most things way back when, time and place you know. The Muslims were not the peaceful victims of the Crusades, they had more than a bit to do with the start of the whole mess.

Both my parents are protestants, though my Dad is comfortable and interested in just about any sort of church. He's a history professor, so he's rather interested in church history.

My great grandfather was a Jewish Cantor(sp?). He didn't treat my grandfather very well, so my grandpa was rather anti-religious for awhile, but my dad brought some Jewish traditions back into the family and that was always a nice thing to have.

I'm also pro-Israel, but not really because of my heritage. At first I was willing to see the side of the palestinians, but they've broken every cease-fire, they have
turned down land deals more generous than they could have hoped for, and
they have shown their side so intolerant and so hateful than I find I cannot
even pity it any more.

SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN THE POPE WANTS TO GET RID OF THE UN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Forum List

Back