A new, ethical, church proposal

For the "waste of time" poster- knowledge isn't biased in its origin and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable AND it evolves whereas Truth is constant.
It's amazing how not one person has given an intellectually honest reply- ethics and moral seems to matter little to the convinced who espouse double standards.
Sorry you're offended.
I just don't see the point in your proposal of "The Church of I." It's not like people don't already spend plenty of time in self-absorption.

The church of "I am" exists. If the intention (of the o.p) is identification with the cosmic 'All', 'One', I-dentity, it could be argued that it is already in place, merely misunderstood or not recognized.

Last edited:
The church of "I"- non-religious but highly ethical coming together of Individuals, and "I" is not spelled me. No leader, no human authority, no God, no tax, no tithing, no baptizing, no hymns of praise, though zealotry is helpful. It's not dependent on the group dogma or rhetoric for sustainability. In fact "I" will outlive either. The evidence is History.

"I" is the first letter in the word individual. Without Individual effort nothing is accomplished. The stories, songs, etc., are always about an Individual. The group is but a supporting cast.

The only requirement being the taking to heart that all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights- unalienable is not inalienable. No rules or rituals involved, just Individual effort. To take to heart requires Individual effort. Taking it to heart and acting it allows it to perpetuate itself. Perpetuation can gain orders of magnitude.

When I heard this song it became my anthem- the golden rule set to music

Do with these thoughts as you will-

Sounds like a rash of la-la.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity. —Sir Francis Bacon, On Atheism

Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites. . . . Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. —Edmund Burke

As for bringing my mind to anything I came to my conclusions based on observation- I've been on both sides of the equation BTW. Passions do form fetters- and it seems fear is a passion worshiped by ignorance ingrained from birth and nurtured into adulthood forming the fetter of believing another is better for some unknown reason.

As for bringing my mind to anything I came to my conclusions based on observation- I've been on both sides of the equation BTW. Passions do form fetters- and it seems fear is a passion worshiped by ignorance ingrained from birth and nurtured into adulthood forming the fetter of believing another is better for some unknown reason.

More vague, essentially meaningless la-la.

More vague, essentially meaningless la-la.
More can't refute what I say so la, la is used. One man's trash is another man's treasure Mr Useless. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Mr Useless- all you have to do is be a bit creative and illustrate where anything I've said (here or elsewhere) is incorrect- la la doesn't cut it.

Pass. I see no point in giving up the Church of Jesus Christ.

I have the gift of the Holy Ghost, living apostles and prophets, revelation and other gifts of the Spirit, Eternal Families, Truth, power from on High etc

I have the gift of the Holy Ghost, living apostles and prophets, revelation and other gifts of the Spirit, Eternal Families, Truth, power from on High etc
Can you say with specificity I asked anyone to give up anything?

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity. —Sir Francis Bacon, On Atheism

Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites. . . . Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. —Edmund Burke

When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill.

William James

Forum List

Back