A most interesting quote...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    This is a most interesting quote and I can say their is no moral excuse for selfiishness but the question we should ask ourselves do other people have a right to block our 'selfishness'? I believe that all men (women included) were created equal and because of this no one has any rights over other people. This sets us free because it establishes that no one person has any right to control another person because everyone is equal in authority with respect to one another and if this is true then how does anyone have the right to deny someone's activity because they think it is immoral?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    It all boils down to one thing. Progressives are too stupid to be able to properly interpret one single sentence of the Del of Ind.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It's the PURSUIT of happiness, Not actual happiness that you are guaranteed, but eh what's two words?

3. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I agree with your statement but the point is that I am making that even if you believed you were given no rights are all rights by God you would have to assume that all people were given the same amount. This means that each person is equal to another no matter how much they got because each person got the same which means that no person has any authority over another. This in itself frees us from the control of others and makes us free.

4. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    You would "have" to assume that? And WHY, precisely, would you "have" to assume that? Lots of people assume nothing of the sort.

And by the way, there certainly IS a moral justification for selfishness. It's called "self-preservation". There's nothing inherently immoral in the idea of looking out for yourself and your own best interests.

5. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,211
    You're on the pipe again? Your comment doesn't come within a mile of being relevant to the quote you posted.

6. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,211
    Galbraith is absolutely right. People want excuses to be selfish without feeling guilty about it.
    Conservatism is designed to provide those excuses.

7. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Galbraith always was a douchebag, as evidenced by that haughty elitist statement.

Little doubt that he excluded himself and other ivory tower elitist douchebags from the ranks of the "selfish".

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I do not need an excuse not to feel selfish, if I feel like being selfish I am free to do so. If I feel like being selfless, I can also do that. Progressives and conservatives both want to be able to control what I think and feel, and I refuse to let them push me around by laying guilt trips on me for knowing I am free.

9. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    The Del of Ind? REALLY? And you have the gall to call other people stupid? I mean, REALLY?

10. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173