A most interesting quote...

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
John Kenneth Galbraith

This is a most interesting quote and I can say their is no moral excuse for selfiishness but the question we should ask ourselves do other people have a right to block our 'selfishness'? I believe that all men (women included) were created equal and because of this no one has any rights over other people. This sets us free because it establishes that no one person has any right to control another person because everyone is equal in authority with respect to one another and if this is true then how does anyone have the right to deny someone's activity because they think it is immoral?

Last edited:
It all boils down to one thing. Progressives are too stupid to be able to properly interpret one single sentence of the Del of Ind.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It's the PURSUIT of happiness, Not actual happiness that you are guaranteed, but eh what's two words?

• Banned
It all boils down to one thing. Progressives are too stupid to be able to properly interpret one single sentence of the Del of Ind.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It's the PURSUIT of happiness, Not actual happiness that you are guaranteed, but eh what's two words?

I agree with your statement but the point is that I am making that even if you believed you were given no rights are all rights by God you would have to assume that all people were given the same amount. This means that each person is equal to another no matter how much they got because each person got the same which means that no person has any authority over another. This in itself frees us from the control of others and makes us free.

I agree with your statement but the point is that I am making that even if you believed you were given no rights are all rights by God you would have to assume that all people were given the same amount. This means that each person is equal to another no matter how much they got because each person got the same which means that no person has any authority over another. This in itself frees us from the control of others and makes us free.

You would "have" to assume that? And WHY, precisely, would you "have" to assume that? Lots of people assume nothing of the sort.

And by the way, there certainly IS a moral justification for selfishness. It's called "self-preservation". There's nothing inherently immoral in the idea of looking out for yourself and your own best interests.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
John Kenneth Galbraith

This is a most interesting quote and I can say their is no moral excuse for selfiishness but the question we should ask ourselves do other people have a right to block our 'selfishness'? I believe that all men (women included) were created equal and because of this no one has any rights over other people. This sets us free because it establishes that no one person has any right to control another person because everyone is equal in authority with respect to one another and if this is true then how does anyone have the right to deny someone's activity because they think it is immoral?

You're on the pipe again? Your comment doesn't come within a mile of being relevant to the quote you posted.

Galbraith is absolutely right. People want excuses to be selfish without feeling guilty about it.
Conservatism is designed to provide those excuses.

I do not need an excuse not to feel selfish, if I feel like being selfish I am free to do so. If I feel like being selfless, I can also do that. Progressives and conservatives both want to be able to control what I think and feel, and I refuse to let them push me around by laying guilt trips on me for knowing I am free.

The Del of Ind? REALLY? And you have the gall to call other people stupid? I mean, REALLY?

I think progressives use the original version ".... life, liberty and the pursuit of property." but they want other people's property.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive
good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not
him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work
diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his
own shall be safe from violence when built.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
March 21, 1864.

Last edited:
John Kenneth Galbraith

Why would I need "moral justification" to work hard and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Why do I need "moral justification" to keep what I have earned and not share it with anyone else? How does that make a person "selfish"? I agree with you that everyone is equal to work hard and enjoy what they earn without having to feel guilt in not giving it to others.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive
good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not
him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work
diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his
own shall be safe from violence when built.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
March 21, 1864.

All that changed

The U. S. Supreme Court first interpreted the clause in United States v. Butler (1936). There, Justice Owen Roberts, in his majority opinion, agreed with Hamilton's view and held that the general welfare language in the taxing-and-spending clause constituted a separate grant of power to Congress to spend in areas over which it was not granted direct regulatory control.

Nevertheless, the Court stated that this power to tax and spend was limited to spending for matters affecting the national, as opposed to the local, welfare. He also wrote that the Supreme Court should be the final arbiter of what was in fact in the national welfare. In the Butler decision, however, the Court shed no light on what it considered to be in the national—as opposed to local—interest, because it struck down the statute at issue on Tenth Amendment grounds.

The Court soon modified its holding in the Butler decision in Helvering v. Davis (1937). There, the Court sustained the old-age benefits provisions of the Social Security Act of 1935 and adopted an expansive view of the power of the federal government to tax and spend for the general welfare. In Helvering, the Court maintained that although Congress's power to tax and spend under the General Welfare clause was limited to general or national concerns, Congress itself could determine when spending constituted spending for the general welfare.

To date, no legislation passed by Congress has ever been struck down because it did not serve the general welfare. Moreover, since congressional power to legislate under the Commerce clause has expanded the areas falling within Congress's enumerated powers, the General Welfare clause has decreased in importance.

General Welfare Clause: Information from Answers.com

John Kenneth Galbraith

Why would I need "moral justification" to work hard and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Why do I need "moral justification" to keep what I have earned and not share it with anyone else? How does that make a person "selfish"? I agree with you that everyone is equal to work hard and enjoy what they earn without having to feel guilt in not giving it to others.

You only need that for your own conscience but I'm not here to throw a guilt trip on you. I'm saying that even selfishness can't be stopped by another person because of our born equality with one another. No person is above another and has no rights over them. This in itself sets us free of the control of others so you have the right to be selfish and judge for yourself what that is and be ok with it with your own conscience.

Galbraith is absolutely right. People want excuses to be selfish without feeling guilty about it.
Conservatism is designed to provide those excuses.

That is a nice judgment but since me and you were born equal you really have no right to interfere with my behavior even when it is selfish.

Sorry dude.:sad:

Forum List

Back