A morning to remember why

It's true, not everyone can enlist, and some have good reasons. Cheney for example had better things to do. Those of us who did have earned the right to express our concern when chickenhawks - safely secure in their own homes - nso easily resort to sending others into armed conflict.

Bullshit.

Cheney?
what does DC have to do with the brave men and women who have given it all? DC served this country the way he thought best
WRY what have you done?

Umm I was drafted, could not afford the college deferrments and did not have the pull to get in the National Guard.
I was in Tech School but it did not count like college.

Bullshit.

Cheney?
what does DC have to do with the brave men and women who have given it all? DC served this country the way he thought best
WRY what have you done?

Umm I was drafted, could not afford the college deferrments and did not have the pull to get in the National Guard.

I had one brother join the naval Reserve then a year later he went active and the Brother who had been in college for a year joined the Naval Reserve. He went active about 8 months later. It would be 7 years before I could enlist and I went straight Army active.

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

the question was not directed at u
thanks for your service
I was a kid and will never forget eating supper with my faimly while watching that insanity that was Vietnam

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

US, I can understand you being bitter; many draftees were and still are, but is it toward all of those who got out of going (rightly or wrongly) or just certain people? After all a lot of guys with college deferments ended up in 'Nam after they graduated.What about those who just got lucky with their lottery number, or those who were legitimately 4-F. What about those who just missed the age cutoff? How do you feel about the ones who ran off to Canada?

It's true, not everyone can enlist, and some have good reasons. Cheney for example had better things to do. Those of us who did have earned the right to express our concern when chickenhawks - safely secure in their own homes - nso easily resort to sending others into armed conflict.

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

I enlisted and every time the 1MC called for "General Quarters, this is not a drill, man your battle stations" I showed up. And you?

It's the same old batshit crazy argument they use everytime. Like they'd let old grandma enlist,, no they saved us for frisking at the airport.

I hate sick fucks like you who think people who haven't served in the military have no right to speak.. truest anti American communist on the damn planet. I bet you hated every fucking potato you peeled didn't you?

You have every right to speak. I have every right to disagree with you.

It's the same old batshit crazy argument they use everytime. Like they'd let old grandma enlist,, no they saved us for frisking at the airport.

I hate sick fucks like you who think people who haven't served in the military have no right to speak.. truest anti American communist on the damn planet. I bet you hated every fucking potato you peeled didn't you?

I never once peeled a potato. On my ships (DD's & DE's) potato's (at sea) were powdered and cooked in large stanless steel pots (five feet or more tall) and stired with paddles large enough to propel a small craft.

I'm sorry you hate me, I served our nation with honor and don't hate you. I actually pity you.

Why do we "celebreate" this day? EVERY YEAR? We celebrate our defeat? Our lowest point since Pearl Harbor?

We're in 2 wars, thousands dead. Yet what do we have to show? Freedom is stripped away for the fallacy of "safety".

Remember where you were, and remember the lives lost. But don't celebrate.........

For the same reason we have always celebrated Pearl Harbor Day. DUH! To honor those who lost their lives.

the continued ignorance of some never ceases to amaze....and sadden at the same time...

I never once peeled a potato. On my ships (DD's & DE's) potato's (at sea) were powdered and cooked in large stanless steel pots (five feet or more tall) and stired with paddles large enough to propel a small craft.

I'm sorry you hate me, I served our nation with honor and don't hate you. I actually pity you.
Does your "Chickenhawk" comment include Clinton and Obama? After all, both of them have ordered others into harm's way, and neither served a day in uniform. Clinton dodged the draft during Vietnam.at least to the extent Cheney did, if not more so. I think you know I was actually in-country, not in the rear, either, so as I see it, I have at least as much right to object to that as you do.. Personally I don't think those who were eligible to serve in the military and did not should offer to serve in an office of greater authority, but that's just me. Is that your standard, or are you just a bit more selective depending on political orientation?

For Wry catcher in 1977 I did not join the military
I thank you for your service

I am really surprised there is a conversation about this as it means that the ones who went have more rights then the ones who did not?
I am not sure I follow all of this. It was also surprising that Clinton, Cheney as well as Obama's "lack of service" came up
No matter what people think, being the VP or the Pres. is service. The chicken hawk comments during the Bush admin were lies
GWB did serve. To debate this is asinine

The the thread is about 9-11. The good news is Iraq is a victory and our troops are all but gone from there

I wonder why the left would change this subject matter? you Ladies and Gentlemen on the right, watch for this
Obama got elected the same way

I don't need nor did I ask for your stupid pity. shove your pity into your potato pot, shit on you and your second guessing of the two million Americans who volunteered to serve in this war. Nobody made them do anything. They did it because they believed in it.

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

I remember some of those Draftees.

During WWII most volunteered. Draftees were something of an oddity. During Vietnam it seems most were drafted.

Does your "Chickenhawk" comment include Clinton and Obama? After all, both of them have ordered others into harm's way, and neither served a day in uniform. Clinton dodged the draft during Vietnam.at least to the extent Cheney did, if not more so. I think you know I was actually in-country, not in the rear, either, so as I see it, I have at least as much right to object to that as you do.. Personally I don't think those who were eligible to serve in the military and did not should offer to serve in an office of greater authority, but that's just me. Is that your standard, or are you just a bit more selective depending on political orientation?

I think the first criteria for being Commander In Chief should be the willingness to allow our armed forces to actually win a war.

My second criteria is that they know what it's like to be posted in an FOB and spend weeks on end being shot at. That means they need to visit the front-lines from time to time.

My third criteria would be that they do not have more friends who are our enemies then friends who are our allies.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

During WWII most volunteered. Draftees were something of an oddity. During Vietnam it seems most were drafted.
pretty big difference in the Wars.....that may have played a part....

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

I enlisted and every time the 1MC called for "General Quarters, this is not a drill, man your battle stations" I showed up. And you?

I was in High School. You still, remain a Dick. Thanks for your service though. Your obsession with Cheney is your problem, not your service.

Your standing on Your Service while undermining Bush's Command doesn't seem all that bright or genuine, either.

pretty big difference in the Wars.....that may have played a part....
Pretty big difference in a lot of things including what the threat was, press coverage, etc.

Communist expansion at the time was a very real threat. The Berlin wall never would have gone up if we had just called the Soviet's bluff. When we gave in on that one it only encouraged the Communists to expand more.

Last edited:

I don't need nor did I ask for your stupid pity. shove your pity into your potato pot, shit on you and your second guessing of the two million Americans who volunteered to serve in this war. Nobody made them do anything. They did it because they believed in it.

Is it not kind of odd
we support the troops but we dont support the war?

Those kids believed the war with Iraq and the war with Afghanistan was the right thing to do
A liberal would go nuts on my feelings, but claim a person that believes the same as I do they would support?

I 100% support our young troops.

But I am100% against both wars.

Being a soldier is an honorable profession.

But it's our politicians that put them in ridiculous no-win situations.

btw I am a Vietnam vet. :cool:

Bullshit.

Cheney?
WRY what have you done?

Wow!!!!

How many times did your ship come under actual hostile fire during General Quarters?

Is it not kind of odd
we support the troops but we dont support the war?

Those kids believed the war with Iraq and the war with Afghanistan was the right thing to do
A liberal would go nuts on my feelings, but claim a person that believes the same as I do they would support?

Some believe it was the right thing to do some do not. My son says that the people they fight are real enemies, but he is still ambivelent about why we went to war there. That said there are soldiers all over the spectrum on the war just like people in the US and other places...the ideas or feelings aren't uniform.

Forum List

Back