A map of the liberal thought process on abortion

A map of the EVANGELICAL PRO CHOICE thought process on abortion

The spring of my sophomore year of college I was president of my university’s Students for Life chapter. The fall of my junior year of college I cut my ties with the pro-life movement. Five years later I have lost the last shred of faith I had in that movement. This is my story.

I was raised in the sort of evangelical family where abortion is the number one political issue. I grew up believing that abortion was murder, and when I stopped identifying as pro-life I initially still believed that. Why, then, did I stop identifying as pro-life? Quite simply, I learned that increasing contraceptive use, not banning abortion, was the key to decreasing the number of abortions. Given that the pro-life movement focuses on banning abortion and is generally opposed advocating greater contraceptive use, I knew that I no longer fit. I also knew that my biggest allies in decreasing the number of abortions were those who supported increased birth control use – in other words, pro-choice progressives. And so I stopped calling myself pro-life.

My views on fetal personhood and women’s bodily autonomy have shifted since that day, but when I first started blogging a year and a half ago I was nevertheless very insistent that the pro-life movement should be taken at its word when it came to rhetoric about saving “unborn babies” from being “murdered.” I insisted that the pro-life movement wasn’t anti-woman or anti-sex, and that those who opposed abortion genuinely believed that a zygote/embryo/fetus was a person with rights in need of protection just like any other person. I believed that the pro-life movement’s actions were counterproductive, but that they were merely misinformed. I wrote a post with practical suggestions for opponents of abortion. I believed that the pro-life movement was genuine in its goals, but simply ignorant about how its goals might best be obtained.

I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong.

As a child, teen, and college student, I sincerely believed that personhood, life, rights, and the soul all began at fertilization. I was honestly opposed to abortion because I believed it was murder. It had nothing to do with being anti-woman or anti-sex. I thought that the pro-life movement writ large – the major pro-life organizations, leaders, and politicians – were similarly genuine. I thought that they, like myself, simply wanted to “save the lives of unborn babies.”

I have come to the conclusion that I was a dupe.

What I want to share here is how I came to this realization. And if you, reader, are one of those who opposes abortion because you believe it is murder and you want to save the lives of unborn babies, well, I hope to persuade you that the pro-life movement is not actually your ally in this, that you have been misled, and that you would be more effective in decreasing the number of abortions that occur if you were to side with pro-choice progressives. If this is you, please hear me out before shaking your head.

How I Lost Faith in the "Pro-Life" Movement

The spring of my sophomore year of college I was president of my university’s Students for Life chapter. The fall of my junior year of college I cut my ties with the pro-life movement. Five years later I have lost the last shred of faith I had in that movement. This is my story.

I was raised in the sort of evangelical family where abortion is the number one political issue. I grew up believing that abortion was murder, and when I stopped identifying as pro-life I initially still believed that. Why, then, did I stop identifying as pro-life? Quite simply, I learned that increasing contraceptive use, not banning abortion, was the key to decreasing the number of abortions. Given that the pro-life movement focuses on banning abortion and is generally opposed advocating greater contraceptive use, I knew that I no longer fit. I also knew that my biggest allies in decreasing the number of abortions were those who supported increased birth control use – in other words, pro-choice progressives. And so I stopped calling myself pro-life.

My views on fetal personhood and women’s bodily autonomy have shifted since that day, but when I first started blogging a year and a half ago I was nevertheless very insistent that the pro-life movement should be taken at its word when it came to rhetoric about saving “unborn babies” from being “murdered.” I insisted that the pro-life movement wasn’t anti-woman or anti-sex, and that those who opposed abortion genuinely believed that a zygote/embryo/fetus was a person with rights in need of protection just like any other person. I believed that the pro-life movement’s actions were counterproductive, but that they were merely misinformed. I wrote a post with practical suggestions for opponents of abortion. I believed that the pro-life movement was genuine in its goals, but simply ignorant about how its goals might best be obtained.

I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong.

As a child, teen, and college student, I sincerely believed that personhood, life, rights, and the soul all began at fertilization. I was honestly opposed to abortion because I believed it was murder. It had nothing to do with being anti-woman or anti-sex. I thought that the pro-life movement writ large – the major pro-life organizations, leaders, and politicians – were similarly genuine. I thought that they, like myself, simply wanted to “save the lives of unborn babies.”

I have come to the conclusion that I was a dupe.

What I want to share here is how I came to this realization. And if you, reader, are one of those who opposes abortion because you believe it is murder and you want to save the lives of unborn babies, well, I hope to persuade you that the pro-life movement is not actually your ally in this, that you have been misled, and that you would be more effective in decreasing the number of abortions that occur if you were to side with pro-choice progressives. If this is you, please hear me out before shaking your head.

How I Lost Faith in the "Pro-Life" Movement

Plagarist. Use fucking quotes.

And kindly refrain from the propaganda. He wants your thoughts. Not the material you're paid to push onto 12 year old girls that you're *counseling*.

Mod Note:

This thread is in the US Constitution forum. It's here because the OP wants to discuss the LEGAL and Constitutional thought processes of folks on either side of the issue. Not gonna allow the same general brawl that normally ensues. If you have no input as to what your Legal or Constitutional thinking on this is -- best find another thread...

The OP is not formed in terms that discuss the CONSTITUTIONALITY of abortion or the constitution, period. It's formed in terms of thought processes and emotion.

In other words, it doesn't belong in this forum.

the op asks for affirmation of his version of the "thought process" of those opposed to his misguided agenda.

this troll even named himself after his agenda.

i offer the actual "thought processes" of those opposed to his misguided agenda.

the op asks for affirmation of his version of the "thought process" of those opposed to his misguided agenda.

this troll even named himself after his agenda.

i offer the actual "thought processes" of those opposed to his misguided agenda.
No, he asks for your thought presses. Not some random propaganda piece, presented without quotes.

don't feel bad, Rav doesn't understand this sort of stuff either.

Mod Note:

This thread is in the US Constitution forum. It's here because the OP wants to discuss the LEGAL and Constitutional thought processes of folks on either side of the issue. Not gonna allow the same general brawl that normally ensues. If you have no input as to what your Legal or Constitutional thinking on this is -- best find another thread...

Constitutional thought processes of folks on either side of the issue.

where does he do THAT? ^

Mod Note:

where does he do THAT? ^

What the hell is a "Constitutional thought process"?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Mod Note:

where does he do THAT? ^

Probably should re-read the OP again.. And realize WHY it was placed in US Constitution forum.

Ultimately, since our Constitution is the supreme 'law of the land' it has to come down to a reading, understanding and or interpretation of the Constitution itself.

So, starting with all the facts and realities we have today, including The Constitution, Roe and all the Supreme Court cases, scientific facts, etc. . .

Please help me map out (and thereby understand) the liberal thought process of abortion.

...probably should read the substance of my posts and learn something about the pro-choice thought process. :thup:

I've been wanting to try this for a long time.

The idea of this thread is really very simple. I am curious about what the left's thought process is from start to finish on abortion. Ultimately, since our Constitution is the supreme 'law of the land' it has to come down to a reading, understanding and or interpretation of the Constitution itself.

So, starting with all the facts and realities we have today, including The Constitution, Roe and all the Supreme Court cases, scientific facts, etc. . .

Please help me map out (and thereby understand) the liberal thought process of abortion.

If need by, I will start a similar map for the Conservative thought process in another thread - to serve as a guideline for this one.

Trolling and thread derail attempts will be reported. (for whatever good that does) Wouldn't it be great if we could have threads without all that?

I digress.

Staring with a 'blank page' as much as that is possible. . . The FIRST thought that comes to mind when you think about the abortion issue as a left leaning person is. . .

WHAT?

Then the next step, etc.

whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

There are a few reasons for why I am interested in this.

One is just pure curiosity to see how much effort my opponents actually put into understanding their own reasoning.

Another reason is so I can have two or three thought processes well documented and presented for those on the fence to do their own comparisons between.

And also, the better I can understand my opponents thought processes, the better I can tailor my questions and arguments to them.

I have no qualms at all about sharing my own thought processes... so they can do the same.

In the end... it's kind of a competition and the better thought processes should prevail. Least I would hope so.

The idea of this thread is really very simple. I am curious about what the left's thought process is from start to finish on abortion. Ultimately, since our Constitution is the supreme 'law of the land' it has to come down to a reading, understanding and or interpretation of the Constitution itself.

If need by, I will start a similar map for the Conservative thought process in another thread - to serve as a guideline for this one.

Trolling and thread derail attempts will be reported. (for whatever good that does) Wouldn't it be great if we could have threads without all that?

I digress.

Staring with a 'blank page' as much as that is possible. . . The FIRST thought that comes to mind when you think about the abortion issue as a left leaning person is. . .

WHAT?

Then the next step, etc.

One is just pure curiosity to see how much effort my opponents actually put into understanding their own reasoning.

Another reason is so I can have two or three thought processes well documented and presented for those on the fence to do their own comparisons between.

And also, the better I can understand my opponents thought processes, the better I can tailor my questions and arguments to them.

I have no qualms at all about sharing my own thought processes... so they can do the same.

In the end... it's kind of a competition and the better thought processes should prevail. Least I would hope so.

There is nothing to understand, they believe it's okay to kill vulnerable people who have no value to them, and if the constitution doesn't like it, then the constitution is a *living* document..which is to say, they don't care.

Last edited:

I digress.

WHAT?

Then the next step, etc.

There is nothing to understand, they believe it's okay to kill vulnerable people who have no value to them, and if the constitution doesn't like it, then the constitution is a *living* document..which is to say, they don't care.

Ok, we'll if that is indeed their thought process, maybe one of them will post and explain it just like you did.

That one would be very easy to argue against though. Wouldn't it?

...probably should read the substance of my posts and learn something about the pro-choice thought process. :thup:

Why is it asking too much for you to take us through your thought process step by step... start to finish?

As soon as I get the time, I will be doing exactly that in a new thread, so the Conservative thought process is out there for comparison.

And in forty four years the pro-birth side has not able to adress, "If this suggestion of personhood is established, the (pro-abortion) appellant's case, of course, collapses, for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the (14th) Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument.

Mod Note:

where does he do THAT? ^

What the hell is a "Constitutional thought process"?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

It's an argument for any given position or conclusion that doesn't run contrary to the Constitution.

A Constitutionally sound argument, if you will. Preferably one that uses or refers to the exact language of the Constitution for key points.

Forum List

Back