A Hiring Boom "May" be on the way.

I hope you are right cause we need a hiring boom, alot of people are out of jobs and need the work.

Like me. :D

What kind of work do you do?

I was application support for trading and market data systems. I also helped build out NOCs, RNOCs, contigency floors and data centers. I was the SME for a proprietary application that we sold to customers. Before that I did consulting for application and hardware migrations. I have admin level experience with HPUX, SUSE, and RHEL. Applications and OS's that I am familiar with include TIDAL/BIG BROTHER/HP Openview/TANDEM NonStop/Remedy/Service Now/Tripwire/Perforce. I've trained ITIL v1, v2 and v3. I can write PERL/KSH scripts and use SQL. And I just completed a CCNA class...so I am studying to take the certification test. That..and I make a really mean omlette! :D

and why would an employer hire new employees that he may have to lay off later and then know he's going to have to pay unemployment benefits for a lifetime? who in the hell would knowingly do that?

A company that hires through a temp service.

A temp service always has 2 customers, at least.

One to bring people in for the pay.
And one that just sucks that almost no one will take.

When the big payer ends, the temp co can offer the worker the shitty job, hoping they won't take it, so it's a voluntary quit and thus no UE>

Actually, as an owner of a temporary placement agency (we are a business planning and human resources solutions firm in the NYC area), it does not actually work that way. We can not offer a temp a lower salary and then deny him/her unemployment if he/she rejects the assignment. It willbe a valid rebuttle and we would lose.

Furthermore, we would never want to alienate a good tempoorary employee with such an act. Maybe some of the smaller shops that try to maximize revenue at the cost of quality service do...but as someone in the industry for over two decades, 75% of that time as an owner, that is only successful for the short term. For your inventory (temps) is at a constant and constantly rotating in and out. You need to grow inventory to grow revenue.

What many people dont realize is we value our temps as much as we value our clients. We must perform superior customer service for all of them.

I never had any luck with the temp agencies, one time I got a voice mail from one of them saying they had a job for me. I called back, and the lady said sorry since you didn't answer we offered the job to the next person on the list who answered the phone, that didn't make any damn sense to me.

Companies have been saying for at least two years that they aren't hiring because the economy is unstable. No one believes them no matter how many times they try to tell the people.

If business feels that obama will lose the election they will find that a sign of returning stability and star hiring.

Massive layoffs started during the last administration. I saw it in the tech sector.

Was the economy stable then? Or volatile?

The economy started to crash during the campaign, which was during the last active days of the administration. Business people knew what an obama administration was going to do. He never hid it. The economy was certainly facing instability. The business sector knew that obama would be bad, how bad, what form it would take and whether any of he damage could be ameliorated were the only questions.

It certainly doesn't change the fact that businesses have been saying for at least two years that they will not hire because of instability in the economy. There must be a reason why you think this is some kind of lie.

I was application support for trading and market data systems. I also helped build out NOCs, RNOCs, contigency floors and data centers. I was the SME for a proprietary application that we sold to customers. Before that I did consulting for application and hardware migrations. I have admin level experience with HPUX, SUSE, and RHEL. Applications and OS's that I am familiar with include TIDAL/BIG BROTHER/HP Openview/TANDEM NonStop/Remedy/Service Now/Tripwire/Perforce. I've trained ITIL v1, v2 and v3. I can write PERL/KSH scripts and use SQL. And I just completed a CCNA class...so I am studying to take the certification test. That..and I make a really mean omlette! :D

Well...for starters.....If you look anything like your avatar, I think I may know what your problem is and why you cant find a job. :eusa_whistle:

I just copied and pasted your qulifications on a word doc. I am going to make some calls to people I kow that do tech and see if your qualificatiuons are something they may be able to present to a client.

If I get any positive repsonse, I will PM you...and do something I am very much against doing...but would do iot for you....give you my personal/business information.

And if I do...just an fyi...I have a very vicious puggle guarding my house.

and why would an employer hire new employees that he may have to lay off later and then know he's going to have to pay unemployment benefits for a lifetime? who in the hell would knowingly do that?

When the big payer ends, the temp co can offer the worker the shitty job, hoping they won't take it, so it's a voluntary quit and thus no UE>

Actually, as an owner of a temporary placement agency (we are a business planning and human resources solutions firm in the NYC area), it does not actually work that way. We can not offer a temp a lower salary and then deny him/her unemployment if he/she rejects the assignment. It willbe a valid rebuttle and we would lose.

Furthermore, we would never want to alienate a good tempoorary employee with such an act. Maybe some of the smaller shops that try to maximize revenue at the cost of quality service do...but as someone in the industry for over two decades, 75% of that time as an owner, that is only successful for the short term. For your inventory (temps) is at a constant and constantly rotating in and out. You need to grow inventory to grow revenue.

What many people dont realize is we value our temps as much as we value our clients. We must perform superior customer service for all of them.

Then you are the only one, or the laws in PA are different.

I assume you have noticed that colleges have been in a massive growth boom for the past 7-8 years. School construction has never been better.
And who could be surprised?
We are just now beyond the height of the education bubble created by the government. And it will burst. And it will be ugly when it does.
I would think you would not be in favor of this. I would assume you don't like how tuition has ballooned in the past decade?

It's no "bubble". The world comes to the United States to educate it's people.

The United States Colleges and Universities are top flight..bar none.

OMG....there is no way you just denied that education is a bubble market right now. You didn't.

Wow.

I suppose you can call anything a bubble if you like..and point to things to support your point.

My understanding of a "bubble" is a sector that is artificially propped up..despite weak demand. Like the "Housing" bubble at the beginning of the Bush administration.

There is Strong demand for US education. And that's world wide.

Well...for starters.....If you look anything like your avatar, I think I may know what your problem is and why you cant find a job. :eusa_whistle:

I just copied and pasted your qulifications on a word doc. I am going to make some calls to people I kow that do tech and see if your qualificatiuons are something they may be able to present to a client.

If I get any positive repsonse, I will PM you...and do something I am very much against doing...but would do iot for you....give you my personal/business information.

Hey thanks!

The offer to have you buy me a beer still stands. :D

It's no "bubble". The world comes to the United States to educate it's people.

The United States Colleges and Universities are top flight..bar none.

OMG....there is no way you just denied that education is a bubble market right now. You didn't.

Wow.

I suppose you can call anything a bubble if you like..and point to things to support your point.

My understanding of a "bubble" is a sector that is artificial propped up..despite weak demand. Like the "Housing" bubble at the beginning of the Bush administration.

Low cost loans, credit not a problem. Try thinking beyond that. Add state government increasing funding to buy votes. One Result is higher tuition. But those teachers deserve all that money and perks on the tax payer dime right?

Wow.

My understanding of a "bubble" is a sector that is artificial propped up..despite weak demand. Like the "Housing" bubble at the beginning of the Bush administration.

Low cost loans, credit not a problem. Try thinking beyond that. Add state government increasing funding to buy votes. One Result is higher tuition. But those teachers deserve all that money and perks on the tax payer dime right?

Yep.

People are just standing in lines waitin' to become teachers. Hoo boy. And cab drivers too! Although I think cab drivers pay slightly better.

I never had any luck with the temp agencies, one time I got a voice mail from one of them saying they had a job for me. I called back, and the lady said sorry since you didn't answer we offered the job to the next person on the list who answered the phone, that didn't make any damn sense to me.

Part of our business is very time sensitive. We may get a call from a client saying that they need something and called another service as well..and the one who performs the quickest gets the order. We explain that to our tempos when they apply with us so they understand the importance of always being reachable..to the best oif their ability.

We have some temps that make great money with us. Great relationships. We give them bonuses this time a year. Last few years they werent overly impressive...but the appreciation was there...and returned with GREAT quality and a great representation of our firm.

I suggest you spread yourself out. It is a matter of establishing yourself with one who sees your differential...whatever it may be. Present yourself as confident, reliable, and willing to do whatever you can to represent them at the highest of levels.....dont make it like "I need to make money...or....im desperate...or....Im doing this only so unemployemtn sees I am looking for a job.

Instead, make it like you are an asset to them.....not that they are an asset to you.

You will find you are treated with great respect with that typoe of approach.

Hey thanks!

The offer to have you buy me a beer still stands. :D

lol.

If I help you find a job, it will be my pleasure to buy you a beer.

Yep.

People are just standing in lines waitin' to become teachers. Hoo boy. And cab drivers too! Although I think cab drivers pay slightly better.

Just say, the topic is beyond your understanding and its all good.

Great move having government take over loans and reduce the payment. You will be paying longer and more interest. :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Then you are the only one, or the laws in PA are different.

I dont know if the laws are different.
But the unemployment rep has the authority to apporve or denyt unemployment. It is not black and white. Conditions, circumstances, outside forces are considered...and there is always sympathy for the one making the claim.
The only people we deny unemployment to are ones that refuse to take an assignemnt at their rate three times in a row. And we document every event.

Yep.

Just say, the topic is beyond your understanding and its all good.

Great move having government take over loans and reduce the payment. You will be paying longer and more interest. :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Beyond my understanding? My mom just retired. She was a teacher. She started out with shit pay..long hours and lots of long nights. She had to get her masters.

That and I've had a few friends that were college professors. One guy did it during his time searching for another radio producer gig. He taught one class and was done. Shit pay..

So yeah..I have first hand experience with it.

they have in place in most companies cutters and slashers.

This only works for a few years.

They cut and slash their way in a bloated system to profits.

At some point there is no more fat to cut.

The corps will settle for profit any way its made.

When slash and burn is done you have to make profits some way.

At the point that they need to hire to make more profits they will hire.

No republican tricks like trashing the debt ceiling or refusing tax cuts to the middle (EVEN while they claim they are all about tax cuts ) will stop the corps from finding profits.

Unfortunately for the right we have about hit the point where to make more profits the corps are going to have to hire.

While the republicans will do ANYTHING for corporations you see the corporations are not as devoted to the republicans.

They will not hold back jsut to help you get elected if there are profits to be made.

You serve a disloyal mistress cons.

:eusa_hand:

Who would have thought that TM was a Captain of Industry!?

"we have about hit the point where to make more profits the corps are going to have to hire."

We have, "Hit the point?"

What "point" would that be?

I thought the only way to Save An Economy was to raise taxes. and allow government to "create" jobs using a Massive Stimulous Package?

:eusa_whistle:

Part of our business is very time sensitive. We may get a call from a client saying that they need something and called another service as well..and the one who performs the quickest gets the order. We explain that to our tempos when they apply with us so they understand the importance of always being reachable..to the best oif their ability.

We have some temps that make great money with us. Great relationships. We give them bonuses this time a year. Last few years they werent overly impressive...but the appreciation was there...and returned with GREAT quality and a great representation of our firm.

I suggest you spread yourself out. It is a matter of establishing yourself with one who sees your differential...whatever it may be. Present yourself as confident, reliable, and willing to do whatever you can to represent them at the highest of levels.....dont make it like "I need to make money...or....im desperate...or....Im doing this only so unemployemtn sees I am looking for a job.

Instead, make it like you are an asset to them.....not that they are an asset to you.

You will find you are treated with great respect with that typoe of approach.

I'm all good now I got a full time job with the feds. :thup:

Forum List

Back