A Hiring Boom "May" be on the way.

These are just musings..but lately there's been alot of frenzied activity from recruiters. And I just went to the office party of my old job and while talking to some of the guys there, many people who were looking for a year or more are getting snapped up.

What's going on?

Well aside from the economy getting better, the Bush tax cuts are set to expire. And there's not much evidence they did anything to help. Employers are sitting on tons and tons of liquidity and playing "shell games" to keep making money..without adding to the overall economy. Given the present anger in the public at large, I have a feeling that to quell some of this..there will be a hiring boom.

Who knows...:D

I don't think you'll see a "Hiring boom" till after the 2012 elections and that would depend greatly on the outcome.

Do you know something that I dont know about the power of the president??? The only way I see any president influencing the economy in a good way is by representing populist opinion that is based in sound economic theory. Aside from the power to veto and the command of the military the president is not intended to have all that much actual power. He is totally dependent on the congress.

I just want to see your thoughts behind your statement, if you have any. I am also interested to know what candidate you think would best fill the role that you have in mind. Ron Paul is the only one I see with any real plan that is within his power and is totally doable even with the 'do nothing' congress. Returning all the troops home from any country that requests it would be one hell of a start. Thats 200-300 thousand people with good middle class jobs moving into every neighborhood in the country. The border will be secured, which will cause the value of labor to rise. Plundering of the treasury and destruction of the dollar will be halted through the power of the veto. A competing currency will be introduced, although that must go through congress so there is little hope presently. Inflation will continue for years however as the market finds equilibrium from the 97% erosion of dollar values. Most important is the reductions in spending. Consider the 1 trillion in cuts a start. 1 trillion is kinda a magic number, its just enough to start seriously addressing the debt. Overnight confidence the dollar will begin surge. So this is going to effect the market hard and fast in three very good ways. Purchasing power of the general public is going to rise, regulations that prevent competition and expansion of economy will be reduced, and lower taxes.

I agree with what you say as it pertains to the constitutional power of the President.

But what is not part of the constitution, but a need for a president is the ability to lead congress. Help them work forward for the country. Look at Bill Clinton..in particualr, his second term...he was a leader. Congress responded to him.

Right now, we have a man that has jumped on the partisan bandwagon....he is not trying to lead. He is part of the divide.

At least, that is how I see it and why many on the right are saying anyone but Obama.

These are just musings..but lately there's been alot of frenzied activity from recruiters. And I just went to the office party of my old job and while talking to some of the guys there, many people who were looking for a year or more are getting snapped up.

What's going on?

Well aside from the economy getting better, the Bush tax cuts are set to expire. And there's not much evidence they did anything to help. Employers are sitting on tons and tons of liquidity and playing "shell games" to keep making money..without adding to the overall economy. Given the present anger in the public at large, I have a feeling that to quell some of this..there will be a hiring boom.

I don't think you'll see a "Hiring boom" till after the 2012 elections and that would depend greatly on the outcome.

Do you know something that I dont know about the power of the president??? The only way I see any president influencing the economy in a good way is by representing populist opinion that is based in sound economic theory. Aside from the power to veto and the command of the military the president is not intended to have all that much actual power. He is totally dependent on the congress.

You omitted the revelant "power" that the president has to effect commerce.

The Executive Branch administers all the regulatory agencies within the US Government.

So, if say, a company wanted to build.....say a pipeline.....spending $$$Billions....creating thousands of jobs (like who manufactures the steel used to fabricate the pipe,,,,who mines the ore to make the steel)......

The President can decide either to allow the project to pass EPA and DoS scrutiny, or not.

The Obama Administration has demonstrated very clearly that it will NOT allow this, and many other job creating projects to proceed.

What company wants to spend $$$$ planning for expansion projects in a USA whose regulatory agencies are administered like this?

Hell, no: They'll put their money in Brazil, or Kazakistan, or anyplace else that doesn't waste their time and resources.

Last edited:
Well, with the year end "cave" the GOP has finally signaled that they really do want to see the economy improve....maybe. I am sure there is a significant number of GOPHouse members who are seathing at the notion that their inaction may have helped Obama's numbers. BUt they lined up behind their Speaker and.....said nothing.

What's going on?

I just want to see your thoughts behind your statement, if you have any. I am also interested to know what candidate you think would best fill the role that you have in mind. Ron Paul is the only one I see with any real plan that is within his power and is totally doable even with the 'do nothing' congress. Returning all the troops home from any country that requests it would be one hell of a start. Thats 200-300 thousand people with good middle class jobs moving into every neighborhood in the country. The border will be secured, which will cause the value of labor to rise. Plundering of the treasury and destruction of the dollar will be halted through the power of the veto. A competing currency will be introduced, although that must go through congress so there is little hope presently. Inflation will continue for years however as the market finds equilibrium from the 97% erosion of dollar values. Most important is the reductions in spending. Consider the 1 trillion in cuts a start. 1 trillion is kinda a magic number, its just enough to start seriously addressing the debt. Overnight confidence the dollar will begin surge. So this is going to effect the market hard and fast in three very good ways. Purchasing power of the general public is going to rise, regulations that prevent competition and expansion of economy will be reduced, and lower taxes.

If we bring all the troops home with no bases overseas, I see a big cut in Military personnel so there won't be that many people spending money here like you say, if we don't maintain a presence overseas we won't need a Military of this size.

I suppose you can call anything a bubble if you like..and point to things to support your point.

My understanding of a "bubble" is a sector that is artificially propped up..despite weak demand. Like the "Housing" bubble at the beginning of the Bush administration.

There is Strong demand for US education. And that's world wide.

Um...what?
Using your definition - there was no housing bubble.
A bubble is a market that is artificially propped up for any reason. Including creating an ARTIFICIAL demand.
Education demand is false. It is not reality. We have eons of kids who couldn't graduate high school getting 4 year loans including room and board. No college in their right mind would accept these kids in the past, and not one bank would give them a loan prior to the government guaranteeing the loan.
Colleges are filled with kids who don't belong there. And the only reason they are there is because of insane student loan practices that are identical in everyway to the insane mortgage loan practices.

Again...I am not just talking about domestic demand. And I am surprised by the "Kids who don't belong there" crapola. Every American kid belongs in college.

In any case..Bush cut taxes..and lowered interest rates to zero. That..and the deregulation brought about by the loss of Glass-Steagall created a plethora of predatory loan companies. That's a real bubble.

:eusa_hand:
"Every kid belongs in college" - that is a huuuge pile of dog poo.
A kid who can't (for whatever reason) hack high school in no way will be successful in higher education. That is really dumb thinking Sallow.

And another thing....the housing bubble started in the Bush admin?
C'mon...I would expect better from you than that. That is T-M and Rdean speak.

Um...what?
A bubble is a market that is artificially propped up for any reason. Including creating an ARTIFICIAL demand.
Education demand is false. It is not reality. We have eons of kids who couldn't graduate high school getting 4 year loans including room and board. No college in their right mind would accept these kids in the past, and not one bank would give them a loan prior to the government guaranteeing the loan.
Colleges are filled with kids who don't belong there. And the only reason they are there is because of insane student loan practices that are identical in everyway to the insane mortgage loan practices.

Again...I am not just talking about domestic demand. And I am surprised by the "Kids who don't belong there" crapola. Every American kid belongs in college.

In any case..Bush cut taxes..and lowered interest rates to zero. That..and the deregulation brought about by the loss of Glass-Steagall created a plethora of predatory loan companies. That's a real bubble.

A kid who can't (for whatever reason) hack high school in no way will be successful in higher education. That is really dumb thinking Sallow.

Iwonder how many kids that couldnt hack high school grow up and at tehj age of 20 or 22 they say to themelves "if only I knew better".

Some people make childish decisions as ....uh...children...and are forced to live with those decisions for the rest of their lives.

I say any kid that can not hack high school be offered the free opportunity to join the military WITHOUT having to commit to active duty....let them mature and take high school courses...2 or 3 a day....and by the age of 20 they may just well be ready for college...so a kid at 16 ready to drop out winds up learning discipline, the importance of education...and not stuck without even having a HS degree.

Some will continue in the military, some will not hack it either...and some will not be a victim of a stupid 16 year old decision.

Um...what?

Social promotion for grades K-8. Adjustment for grade inflation for 8-12. SAT scores below 400. Hell YEAH they belong in college! You just need to find a basis where they can get equality of outcome.

Texas' oil and natural gas industry is booming.

Oil yes.

Gas, not so much.

And, its not just TX

Shell is planning a petrochemical complex somewhere in the middle of the Marcellus Shale Formation (OH, WV, PA, NY)

The Bakkan represents a huge field in ND, SD, MT.

Their are huge reserves in UT...but mostly gas.

I'm not even going to detail what's offshore, or in AK.

Personally, I am seeing some fairly significant movements in the Real Estate market. It appears the stockpile of the foreclosures is finally beginning to disappear. Plus, commercial investors are coming back to the table. 2012 may be a year of unexpected recovery.

The summer of recovery?

Personally, I am seeing some fairly significant movements in the Real Estate market. It appears the stockpile of the foreclosures is finally beginning to disappear. Plus, commercial investors are coming back to the table. 2012 may be a year of unexpected recovery.

The summer of recovery?

Nah...it is an example of what happens when you give the consumer confidence by extending the Bush Tax Cuts.

Sure...some will say the stimulus is finally kicking in...you know...the stimulus of THREE YEARS AGO.

Or maybe it was the consumer confidence builder of tax cut extensions of LESS THAN A YEAR AGO...

What could it be...what could it be.....

From what I've seen or read, most economists do not expect GDP to be much higher than 2.5%, some think closer to 2% or even lower. That ain't going to translate into a hiring boom. Wish it would happen, a lotta people need a job, but I'm not seeing it.

What's going on?

Sure hope so. I wonder if that dude with the crane company in Georgia will bite the bullet and do what is right for his company?

Um...what?

Started? No..not completely. But it went into overdrive with Bush. When Romney talked about letting some mortgages lapse to clear the market..that should have occurred at the beginning of 2001.

And kids not "hacking" high school..do so for any number of reasons..that need to be addressed. Unless there is some physical deficiency..no one is born stupid.

From what I've seen or read, most economists do not expect GDP to be much higher than 2.5%, some think closer to 2% or even lower. That ain't going to translate into a hiring boom. Wish it would happen, a lotta people need a job, but I'm not seeing it.

The interesting thing is, there are MANY job openings.

So why can't they be filled?

You show me a bunch of women that worked in a bank in Atlanta, GA, and ask them to drive 18 wheelers in North Dakota during January, then I'll show you a bunch of unemployed people.

Idiotic OP.

First, in some parts of the country they have worked off the inventory of housing from the bubble, so there is new construction.

Second, some businesses are seeing demand increase, so there is reason to expand production.

No business will hire an employee unless doing so will increase profits for the business. No business thinks in terms of "I will spend some cash in order to fool the voters." No business is large enough to do that even if they felt in the mood.

The depression is now three years old. It won't end until businesses can make a profit by hiring more folks.

The democrats won't let the Bush Tax cuts expire, as that would be making a huge tax increase in the middle of a depression, which is something no sensible policy maker would do. We may have made the tax holiday for SS and medicare permanent, as they won't increase taxes during the depression, and when the depression ends, there will be too many people too deeply invested in the benefit to let it go.

But as for what is going on, if it is going on (And I am seeing the same kind of thing) As long as businesses see their marginal revenue for new employees exceed the marginal cost of each new employee we will get more hiring. But until that happens, we will wallow a bit more. And the Obama administration keeps on piling on the costs.

Started? No..not completely. But it went into overdrive with Bush. When Romney talked about letting some mortgages lapse to clear the market..that should have occurred at the beginning of 2001.

And kids not "hacking" high school..do so for any number of reasons..that need to be addressed. Unless there is some physical deficiency..no one is born stupid.

Sigh....it is this kind of thinking that is destroying education.
Liberals not wanting to admit that not everyone is cut out for higher education. Liberals modifying testing results because they don't like the image it presents. Liberals giving wholesale passes to minorities who are failing their class but refuse to give them failing grades, and do everything in their power to skew the grading curve so that you would practically have to rape a fellow student, in class - to fail.

Forum List

Back