A Hiring Boom "May" be on the way.

I hope you are right as my daughter hates her job and I would like to see her find another.

Companies have been holding cash for a while now and without demand, there is no need to hire. They are making a profit without new employees. Other bad signs for the economy are:

-the downward adjusted housing numbers
-paltry GDP numbers
-real unemployment rate

Good news though include:

-consumer confidence is up
-durable goods numbers up

What this great country needs now is the two sides to stop pushing agenda items and start making decisions that make economical sense.

Your daughter should start looking now. Tell her to get a good resume together and start submitting them online. Having a job is easier then not having one when looking. Employers like hiring people away from other firms. First..it's almost a seamless transition and second, if it's a rival then all the better.

And the "profits" they are making are accounting tricks. It doesn't last forever. And really, it's them that started the loss of demand. For two reasons. They wanted to cut high labor costs by hiring overseas and creating a glut of people looking for work. Initially layoffs had nothing to do with loss of demand. It was "synergy". Eventually..that's what started to happen, because UE got so high. But now..even the Chinese factories are in trouble because people are not buying their cheap crap.

Thus, people are starting to look for government solutions to the problem. And quite frankly, alot of things need to be done. Infrastructure, implementing new tech like cloud and IPv6, and high speed rail. However..that could tighten the high tech/engineer market again. Which would be bad for alot of these companies. Which is one reason I think a hiring boom will happen. What better time to snap up well trained peeps who've been out of work for awhile. And they get them on the cheap, while looking like "heroes".

In other words - Sallow is hoping for another mass bailout and enormous government spending. But no worries...Obama wants to cut 3 $trillion out of the deficit in 10 years (which will of course increase the deficit not decrease it)

Actually..some states are doing what the Fed won't..and adding Stimulus. New York State just wrapped up a huge deal with Cornell..

Pictures of proposed Cornell Technion NYC engineering school

And Cuomo kiboshed the idea of killing the millionaire's tax in favor of putting together a package of infrastructure projects. And walking around the city you can see construction is booming.

well I hope your right.

b/c of inflation, we had to move to a cheaper place and I had to take a huge risk and quit my full time job to take a temp too hire job that pays more.

If they don't keep me, I'm fuct and my families fuct.

but the rumors sound good, seems like I have a 3/4 chance of getting full time.

Companies have been saying for at least two years that they aren't hiring because the economy is unstable. No one believes them no matter how many times they try to tell the people.

If business feels that obama will lose the election they will find that a sign of returning stability and star hiring.

These are just musings..but lately there's been alot of frenzied activity from recruiters. And I just went to the office party of my old job and while talking to some of the guys there, many people who were looking for a year or more are getting snapped up.

What's going on?

Well aside from the economy getting better, the Bush tax cuts are set to expire. And there's not much evidence they did anything to help. Employers are sitting on tons and tons of liquidity and playing "shell games" to keep making money..without adding to the overall economy. Given the present anger in the public at large, I have a feeling that to quell some of this..there will be a hiring boom.

Who knows...:D

I don't think you'll see a "Hiring boom" till after the 2012 elections and that would depend greatly on the outcome.

What exactly are you basing this on?

On another blog several years ago I said corporations wouldn't be hiring for a while for a number of reasons.

-They wanted to cut benefits and wages.
-They wanted to make the President look bad to loosen regulations or get another guy in office.

That position got slammed..but it turned out to be pretty true.

Could you explain it in terms a non-wall street financier would understand, Mr. Sallow? What would a 'ton of liquidity' be?

Several trillion dollars of cold hard cash.
A company that has reduced its labor force from 110,000 workers to 105,000 workers through attrition, still has obligations sometimes for 35 or 40 years after they retire to maintain their pension and insurance needs after working for 25 years and receiving an early retirement.

Sometimes what looks like a ton of liquidity may not seem so on the flip side of the coin.

And if it is popular to trash big businesses to rob their assets for "others more worthy" than the people who earned this money for the corporations, that is quite a change from America's former habit of rewarding those who earned the money, not those who spent a lifetime training themselves to hone in on what appears to them to look like a big stash of "free money." If you take that "free money" and give it all to somebody else, you will leave 105,000 people who did earn the money with no financial future.

Something seems wrong with the picture I'm seeing of pouncing on the assets of other people and using the government to go after it.

Companies have been saying for at least two years that they aren't hiring because the economy is unstable. No one believes them no matter how many times they try to tell the people.

If business feels that obama will lose the election they will find that a sign of returning stability and star hiring.

Massive layoffs started during the last administration. I saw it in the tech sector.

Was the economy stable then? Or volatile?

These are just musings..but lately there's been alot of frenzied activity from recruiters. And I just went to the office party of my old job and while talking to some of the guys there, many people who were looking for a year or more are getting snapped up.

What's going on?

Well aside from the economy getting better, the Bush tax cuts are set to expire. And there's not much evidence they did anything to help. Employers are sitting on tons and tons of liquidity and playing "shell games" to keep making money..without adding to the overall economy. Given the present anger in the public at large, I have a feeling that to quell some of this..there will be a hiring boom.

I don't think you'll see a "Hiring boom" till after the 2012 elections and that would depend greatly on the outcome.

On another blog several years ago I said corporations wouldn't be hiring for a while for a number of reasons.

-They wanted to make the President look bad to loosen regulations or get another guy in office.

They aren't hiring. But not for the reasons you state. You imaginarium is running along the paranoid lines. I've seen many small business owners interviewed and have listened to many who are members here on this board..

A. Thousands of anti business regulations from obama

B. obama care and the associated costs.

c. Uncertainty in an anti business enviornment.

D. They're not look forward to the expiration of the Bush tax cuts.

so,, we'll wait and see who is right.

What's going on?

Well, despite all the ranting and back and forth about this policy or that policy creating jobs, or not creating jobs, or stimulating the economy, not stimulating the economy,

ultimately time alone will move the business cycle along,

and it's been a long time since we've had robust growth.

and why would an employer hire new employees that he may have to lay off later and then know he's going to have to pay unemployment benefits for a lifetime? who in the hell would knowingly do that?

Your daughter should start looking now. Tell her to get a good resume together and start submitting them online. Having a job is easier then not having one when looking. Employers like hiring people away from other firms. First..it's almost a seamless transition and second, if it's a rival then all the better.

And the "profits" they are making are accounting tricks. It doesn't last forever. And really, it's them that started the loss of demand. For two reasons. They wanted to cut high labor costs by hiring overseas and creating a glut of people looking for work. Initially layoffs had nothing to do with loss of demand. It was "synergy". Eventually..that's what started to happen, because UE got so high. But now..even the Chinese factories are in trouble because people are not buying their cheap crap.

Thus, people are starting to look for government solutions to the problem. And quite frankly, alot of things need to be done. Infrastructure, implementing new tech like cloud and IPv6, and high speed rail. However..that could tighten the high tech/engineer market again. Which would be bad for alot of these companies. Which is one reason I think a hiring boom will happen. What better time to snap up well trained peeps who've been out of work for awhile. And they get them on the cheap, while looking like "heroes".

In other words - Sallow is hoping for another mass bailout and enormous government spending. But no worries...Obama wants to cut 3 $trillion out of the deficit in 10 years (which will of course increase the deficit not decrease it)

Actually..some states are doing what the Fed won't..and adding Stimulus. New York State just wrapped up a huge deal with Cornell..

And Cuomo kiboshed the idea of killing the millionaire's tax in favor of putting together a package of infrastructure projects. And walking around the city you can see construction is booming.

I assume you have noticed that colleges have been in a massive growth boom for the past 7-8 years. School construction has never been better.
And who could be surprised?
We are just now beyond the height of the education bubble created by the government. And it will burst. And it will be ugly when it does.
I would think you would not be in favor of this. I would assume you don't like how tuition has ballooned in the past decade?

Last edited:

They aren't hiring. But not for the reasons you state. You imaginarium is running along the paranoid lines. I've seen many small business owners interviewed and have listened to many who are members here on this board..

A. Which ones?
B. Cost of Healthcare was rocketing up prior to ObamaCare. Employers were asking for more of a contribution from Employees.
C. What "Anti-Business" environment? Did interest rates suddenly spike? Several rounds of QE were "anti-business"?
D. Read my OP.

I assume you have noticed that colleges have been in a massive growth boom for the past 7-8 years. School construction has never been better.
And who could be surprised?
We are just now beyond the height of the education bubble created by the government. And it will burst. And it will be ugly when it does.
I would think you would not be in favor of this. I would assume you don't like how tuition has ballooned in the past decade?

Outstanding point.

A. Which ones?
B. Cost of Healthcare was rocketing up prior to ObamaCare. Employers were asking for more of a contribution from Employees.
C. What "Anti-Business" environment? Did interest rates suddenly spike? Several rounds of QE were "anti-business"?
D. Read my OP.

bullshit and spin. that all you got?

and why would an employer hire new employees that he may have to lay off later and then know he's going to have to pay unemployment benefits for a lifetime? who in the hell would knowingly do that?

Has the amount of millionaires and billionaires in this country gone up or down in the past 30 years?

Seriously..come into the real world.

What's going on?

I hope you are right cause we need a hiring boom, alot of people are out of jobs and need the work.

Forum List

Back