A Hero Is About To Get Slammed

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
on my ship, there is a guy (a flight deck plane captain) who is now sitting in the brig on base. How he got there may interest you, or may not. I'd like to tell his story though, because I think its worth it.

"Jerome"s father was a drug dealer in Houston, and was shot in a drug deal gone bad when Jerome was only 3.
His mother died of AIDS when he was only 8.
His grandmother (who took custody of him when he was 9, as well as his two younger brothers and an older sister) had a debilitating stroke when he was 13.
He became the "father" of the house. His sister got hooked on drugs, and he spent late nights fighting her addiction and her drug dealers, as well as trying to keep his younger brothers away from drugs and gangs.
At 16, he fathered a son with his long-time girlfriend. At 17, after finally getting his sister into long-term drug rehabilition treatment with a local church group, he graduated high school.
Five days later, he lay on his back, eight bullets lodged in his chest and arms, the victim of a drive by shooting instigated by his fight with a local gang leader who had tried to recruit his youngest brother.
Months later, after extensive recovery caused primarily by his strong will and dedication to get better, he enlisted in the Navy.
He helped liberate Afghanistan, acting as a primary on the flight deck during our ship's role as a special operations platform in Operation Enduring Freedom.
He helped liberate Iraq, helping the Kitty Hawk (despite being the oldest, smallest carrier in the fleet) to have the highest sortie efficiency rating among all the aircraft carriers participating in Iraqi Freedom.

His long-time girlfriend (Shawna) and he got back together two years ago, helping him to see his son more often on his leave periods. However, during their long break-up, she had dated a violent drug dealer for a few months, and he was released from prison in November. Almost immediately, he tried to win her back, first with sweet words and gifts, and later, with threats and violence.

Jerome and Shawna both contacted the Houston Police about this, yet nothing was done. On numerous occasions, officers tried to blame her for the violent activities of the obsessed ex-con, saying she was egging him on and should just get back with him so she can stop calling 911 and bugging the city.

On Christmas Eve, the ex-con broke into their small apartment and beat up Jerome's son, then broke Shawna's jaw and threw her down the stairs, breaking one of her arms.

Jerome informed his chain of command about what was happening, and despite the Navy contacting the Houston Police Dept. in regards to the violent ex-boyfriend, nothing was done.

The day after New Year's the ex-con fired a shotgun four times into Shawna's mother's house.

Jerome went on liberty the next weekend and flew to Houston, not before leaving a long letter detailing what he was doing and why he was doing it. He had submitted a leave chit to his chain of command, and it had been denied because the ship was going to be undergoing sea trials the next week.

What he did in Houston is unclear, though a hospitalized (for several days) violent ex-con contacted police to pursue assault and battery charges against Shawna's boyfriend ("some sailor" he told them). An arrest warrant is now out for him, and he returned to Japan and to his ship, to face military justice for being UA (AWOL for non-navy folks) for nearly two weeks and missing the ship's deployment twice. However, he's been put in the brig indefinitely, awaiting his return to Houston to face the charges filed against him.

The sad part is, as messed up as our criminal justice system is, he will probably get considerable jail time. When he returns to the Navy, he will face serious punishment at Captain's Mast. If he is reduced in rank to E-4, he will be unable to remain in the Navy due to "High Year Tenure" rules.

Sir Evil said:
Sounds like he got a raw deal in this one. I could imagine his fury though!

Yea, pretty much everyone on the ship thinks he's going to get screwed, especially all the Texans who know how screwed Houston's police and justice system is.

"Jerome" is a "stacked" short fellow. I pissed him off on the flight deck last year and regretted it for the next week as he made my life up there miserable as far as me trying to do my job. Then he saw me in the gym a few days later and showed me some pointers... a pretty cool guy and a hell of a supervisor from what I've been told.

Oh well.

That's just sad, Nato!! Nothing can be done to the jerk that's terrorizing adults, beating up women and kids, and firing guns into windows, but the guy that tries to go by the book gets locked up for whipping this guys ass?!
Amazing! Your friend will be in my Prayers, sweets!

Are you saying that after the girlfriend was beat and tossed down the stairs she didn't swear out warrant for this guy, the X? Or even before that for that matter.

Mr. P said:
Are you saying that after the girlfriend was beat and tossed down the stairs she didn't swear out warrant for this guy, the X? Or even before that for that matter.
From this
Nato said:
Jerome informed his chain of command about what was happening, and despite the Navy contacting the Houston Police Dept. in regards to the violent ex-boyfriend, nothing was done.
I'm thinking they tried to do something about it but the police weren't interested. I could be wrong.
Very sad!

UsaPride said:
From this

I'm thinking they tried to do something about it but the police weren't interested. I could be wrong.
Very sad!
If she never filed a warrant it's just another domestic call to the police. There are some actions that "MUST" be taken to deal with these type situations..The Navy can not file for her, they were not involved in the assult..I'd be interested to hear if anything was officially filed.

Mr. P said:
If she never filed a warrant it's just another domestic call to the police.
I see what you're saying. Like did she ever press charges like he did to "Jerome".
Okay, Nato, Inquiring minds wanna know!

UsaPride said:
I see what you're saying. Like did she ever press charges like he did to "Jerome".
Okay, Nato, Inquiring minds wanna know!
Exactly. See, the guy being an ex-con just out was most likely on probation.
An assult, if she would have filed charges would be a clear violation of parole/probation and he'd of been right back in jail. No fuss no muss..Very simple.

Mr. P said:
Exactly. See, the guy being an ex-con just out was most likely on probation.
An assult, if she would have filed charges would be a clear violation of parole/probation and he'd of been right back in jail. No fuss no muss..Very simple.
Exactly! So, what's the deal?
But, to be sure she called the cops when this happened. If he was on probation, would she even have to press charges? He should have been arrested when she called the cops. Right?

UsaPride said:
Exactly! So, what's the deal?
But, to be sure she called the cops when this happened. If he was on probation, would she even have to press charges? He should have been arrested when she called the cops. Right?
Only if he was there when they arrived.
This is sad..but it sounds like the guy Jerome really screwed up..Not only does he have a problem with
the Navy because he went AWOL, he also committed an assault. Not good. Did the ex-con deserve it?
Yes..Does that help Jerome? Nope. Very Poor judgement on his part.

Mr. P said:
Very Poor judgement on his part.
I agree. I understand the why, I couldn't imagine being in that situation where your loved one and kid are getting tramatized and beat by some drug dealing maniac and nobody does anything. That's horrible.
BUT!!!!
It's just sad for them all! Except the ex, I hope he feels that ass whippin' for a long time!

When I was stationed in Korea, a very similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He may have been justified in the eyes of many, but not the law's and that is all that matters in a case like this. Sad.

I can see why Jerome might do this if the guy attacked his son. However it didn't help his situation at all. Now Jerome will be in jail while this guy has liberty to do what he will unless the GF actually presses charges.

I feel sorry for him. I would feel totally helpless were I in his place and if I had done nothing but I don't know if he has done the right thing. Maybe it will bring attention to what is happening and the Police may protect the GF as well. We can only hope.

You may want to contact the local news stations about his predicament they may investigate and find out how many times the cops were called and why they did nothing to protect this family. It probably won't save him from time in jail but it may just make it less time. Sometimes the court of public opinion can even sway judges and DAs giving him a deal that will end with no time in jail.

Captain's Mast is not going to be fun. Make sure he contacts an advocate and talks his choices through before going to the Captain's Mast, he may have a better chance with a Court Martial as is his right than he would with non-Judicial punishment.

From what I have heard from folks who know him better than I (and his situation), the ex-con's stepbrother and cousin are police officers. They swore he was playing cards with them (and two other friends also piped up for him) at the time of the assault of "shawna" and "jerome"'s son.

Three police depts. I know of that are exceptionally corrupt. Miami, LA and Houston.

A shame, he is going to get screwed more than likely.

We're deploying for Carrier Exercises tomorrow morning, so I will update everyone if I hear anything new when I return next week.

UsaPride said:
From this

Very sad!
thats what i liked about the military... even if the victim didnt want to press charges, the government did.

Forum List

Back