CDZ A Growing Problem For Message Boards?

Let me help you guys out.

Your computer connects to an ISP

That ISP is given permission to send and receive internet traffic by a government created authority called the IANA which also hands out IP addresses. Without these IP addresses your data cant go out on the internet.

Your data has a source IP and a destination IP and the system works roughly like the USPS. At any point in the journey I can drop whats called a sniffer and not only see your data I can copy it. If I have ultimate access I can divert and change your data as well.

What is/was Carnivore?
Never heard of it in regard to the internet.

That ISP is given permission to send and receive internet traffic by a government created authority called the IANA which also hands out IP addresses. Without these IP addresses your data cant go out on the internet.

Your data has a source IP and a destination IP and the system works roughly like the USPS. At any point in the journey I can drop whats called a sniffer and not only see your data I can copy it. If I have ultimate access I can divert and change your data as well.

What is/was Carnivore?

I heard the NSA had something called "carnivore" that was supposed to "look for the meat". The funny thing is that if you google Carnivore, supposedly the NSA stopped using it in favor of something that works better that was commercially available. Doesn't sound right--a product you can buy at Staples is better at what the NSA is doing than a proprietary program. Was wondering what the modern equivalent is (if there is one).

What is/was Carnivore?

I heard the NSA had something called "carnivore" that was supposed to "look for the meat". The funny thing is that if you google Carnivore, supposedly the NSA stopped using it in favor of something that works better that was commercially available. Doesn't sound right--a product you can buy at Staples is better at what the NSA is doing than a proprietary program. Was wondering what the modern equivalent is (if there is one).
I'm sure its more likely they probably have a software based solution that can reside on any type of device. Hell they have a free one you can install on your PC to see your own network traffic call Wireshark. If you use it or even read about it you will see what I mean. You can literally see everything.

Forum List

Back