CDZ A Growing Problem For Message Boards?

If they scan a site enough to figure FOUR shooters all came from ONE site? Yeah, they do. May not be daily but they see who is talking to who. That site will be under their "lens" for a bit.

Which shooters are you referring to? I wasn't aware of shooters who were tied to a message board.
The Roseburg shooter. I don't know about the others.

One can be well assured these free forums are under a fair amount of surveillance.

The problem isn't "the government" looking at message boards. The problem isn't the perceived fear of "the government".

No, the problem is paranoid, over armed gun nuts taking the law into their own incompetent hands. The problem is selling arms to immature idiots who haven't got the first notion of personal responsibility or consequences. The problem is over wrought Conservatives believing they are, in reality, Dirty Harry or Rambo. These irresponsible morons think their zealotry and their rage can justify taking someone else's life.

Shame on them.

Last edited:
One can be well assured these free forums are under a fair amount of surveillance.

:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps you are "assured" of that. But you don't speak for anyone else. I think the idea is preposterous.

I have no doubt these forums get run through various NSA spying tools, but the idea that this board or any other would specifically be under surveillance - that the government cares what you post here - is nothing more than an exercise in delusional self-indulgence and narcissism.

Nothing that is posted here is important enough for anyone to care.

Perhaps you are "assured" of that. But you don't speak for anyone else. I think the idea is preposterous.

I have no doubt these forums get run through various NSA spying tools, but the idea that this board or any other would specifically be under surveillance - that the government cares what you post here - is nothing more than an exercise in delusional self-indulgence and narcissism.

Oh, there are always people who care about criminal and treasonous behavior.

Tell me something. You pull over a car with one KNOWN shooter and three of his buddies. Do you check the buddies out? Of course you do IF you are smart.

Now you got four shooters from ONE board. Do you check the board for buddies? Of course you do IF you are smart.

Tell me something. You pull over a car with one KNOWN shooter and three of his buddies. Do you check the buddies out? Of course you do IF you are smart.

Now you got four shooters from ONE board. Do you check the board for buddies? Of course you do IF you are smart.

:lol:

Being in a car with someone is not in any sense the same as participating on an anonymous message board with thousands, if not millions of posters, in the case of 4chan.

I'll put it this way - If you find a guy who's a "known shooter", do you check out everyone on his facebook page?

Being in a car with someone is not in any sense the same as participating on an anonymous message board with thousands, if not millions of posters, in the case of 4chan.

I'll put it this way - If you find a guy who's a "known shooter", do you check out everyone on his facebook page?

Only if you think he's working with others, and not just a dismal loner.

And since most of our non-muslim shooters are just that..mentally ill loners, for the most part, nobody is going to be running checks on all their online *friends*. Not that any of them had many.

Yes you do or at least I would. If you have four active could be one or two very ready. So you check.

Then you have nothing to worry about.

Then you have nothing to worry about.

You're right, I don't. That's kinda my whole point.

I think libel laws should apply to message boards.

They do.

However, American libel laws require proving that you were genuinely damaged. One anonymous person saying crazy things about your own anonymous screen name doesn't even come close to meeting the standard for actual damage.

I have been posting for almost a year about efforts to take control of the internet and the exchange of ideas that goes on unfettered.

The UN wants to be the final arbiter of the net. Obama wants a government bureau to review internet content for extremist activities.

Are we just going to sit at our keyboards and watch the last bastion of free speech be taken over and controlled by governments?

The government can and will do this.

each site is a privately owned biz, by telling the biz what it can and can't can, the Fed can remove our 1st w/o ever actually doing it.

Is more government swell?
It would not surprise me one bit if the government has ALREADY run a "server replicator" program on that site and downloaded
every bit of info on it.
Why go through all that effort when a search warrant would be cheaper and faster?

any site so reliant on people coming into it is going to give the Fed whatever it demands quickly and quietly so it can keep running.
ALL they need is the servers bandwidth number which they ALREADY have. The government server is then moved in between the member {you} and the host server. It gets everything Storage files and compressed data. Email addy's the whole bit. No warrant needed just a bandwidth code.
You have no clue what you are talking about. :laugh:
What is a servers bandwidth number? Do you even know what bandwidth is?
laugh.gif

The feds dont need a server to get the data. All they need to do is flag any data crossing the internet that matches what they are looking for. All internet data sourced from the US and to the US has to go through US routers

I think libel laws should apply to message boards.

They do.

However, American libel laws require proving that you were genuinely damaged. One anonymous person saying crazy things about your own anonymous screen name doesn't even come close to meeting the standard for actual damage.

I heard there was going to be a case where a dentist or doctor took someone to court citing the disproportionate impact a libelous statement would have on the world-wide-web whereas before someone making a comment wouldn't have such a reach. I never heard anything else about it though.

I would have to imagine that someone like Ted Olson (I think his name was) would have quite a case. He was the Solictor General. His wife died on AA77 when it slammed into the Pentagon. Conspiracy whackjobs who thought it was an inside job said that he was in on it.

He wouldn't get 2 cents from these yokels, I know but still, the libelous nature of saying he was complicit in the murder of his wife was probably a genuine cause of action.

I have been posting for almost a year about efforts to take control of the internet and the exchange of ideas that goes on unfettered.

The UN wants to be the final arbiter of the net. Obama wants a government bureau to review internet content for extremist activities.

Are we just going to sit at our keyboards and watch the last bastion of free speech be taken over and controlled by governments?
Too late. If you dont think internet traffic is monitored already and has been for decades I really dont know what to tell you guys.

Let me help you guys out.

Your computer connects to an ISP

That ISP is given permission to send and receive internet traffic by a government created authority called the IANA which also hands out IP addresses. Without these IP addresses your data cant go out on the internet.

Your data has a source IP and a destination IP and the system works roughly like the USPS. At any point in the journey I can drop whats called a sniffer and not only see your data I can copy it. If I have ultimate access I can divert and change your data as well.

Last edited:
Let me help you guys out.

Your computer connects to an ISP

That ISP is given permission to send and receive internet traffic by a government created authority called the IANA which also hands out IP addresses. Without these IP addresses your data cant go out on the internet.

Your data has a source IP and a destination IP and the system works roughly like the USPS. At any point in the journey I can drop whats called a sniffer and not only see your data I can copy it. If I have ultimate access I can divert and change your data as well.

What is/was Carnivore?

Forum List

Back