A Gay Zionist View Of Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beelzebub

VIP Member
May 6, 2014
For the rest of his life, whenever someone asks Adam Kawalek, “What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?,” he’ll have to tell the story of how, in August of 2014, he got married, changed his name, and traveled halfway across the world just so he could sneak into Gaza in the middle of a war. And, if that’s not ballsy enough, after a slight pause for dramatic effect, he’ll mention he did all that despite the fact that he’s a Zionist Jew and gay.

When Kawalek, a doctor specializing in the overall care of hospitalized patients at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, first tried to sign up for a volunteer program in Gaza in July, the folks at the International Medical Corps, the humanitarian relief group running it, suggested a really good psychiatrist instead.

“They thought I was nuts,” he said from his United Nations-protected room in Gaza City when we first talked. “But I really needed to come here. There was no way I was going to take no for an answer.”

The reason IMC was less than thrilled about sending Kawalek into Gaza was his middle name, Zvi. Hebrew for “deer,” it couldn’t be more Jewish if it were served on a toasted bagel with a side of lox. There was no way he was getting into Gaza with a name like that in his passport. He’d have a better chance getting hit by lightning twice on a sunny day.

“They told me that if I could get a new passport without my middle name in it, they would be willing to consider it.”

With the help of some friends at Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s office, he was able to get the process expedited. Still, there were no guarantees. So, just to be safe, Kawalek drove his boyfriend to City Hall and got hitched. “It was the only way I could change my name without having to go through the process. Also, I wanted to make sure he was protected in case anything happened to me there.”

Middle-name-free passport in hand, Kawalek boarded a flight to Israel the next day. From there, he crossed into Gaza. No one other than his new husband knew where he was, not even close friends and family. “I didn’t even tell my relatives in Israel that I was coming because I was afraid they’d accidentally post something on Facebook.”

The only person in Gaza who knew he was Jewish was his security chief, hired by IMC to protect the entire crew. “No one else knew I was Jewish, and even he didn’t know I was gay.”

A longtime Zionist, Kawalek grew up in Montreal in a semi-religious household. As a child, he studied at a yeshiva. Like many Jews around the world, he’s always maintained Israel’s right to defend itself. Once ...

A Gay Jewish Zionist American Doctor in Gaza and What He Saw - The Daily Beast

That's a brave man. And respect to him for going to see for himself.

He grew up where I live. Cool :cool:

You mean, in the closet?
And of course if they are infidels they deserve to die ain't that right Beelzebub? The typical primitive homophobic perspective of every Muslim Junkyard states.. would expect much of you anyway.

So you are homophobic TOO Danny Boy?

Isn't being Zionist enough hating for you?

You have it wrong. Being an anti Zionist is being hateful.

You mean, in the closet?
And of course if they are infidels they deserve to die ain't that right Beelzebub? The typical primitive homophobic perspective of every Muslim Junkyard states.. would expect much of you anyway.

How did you manage to understand that? Do you know what Homophobic is?
I'm not homophobic, and I'm not a Muslim..back to you now.
You a Muslim, Homophobic as well, now take a look in the mirror, imagine yourself in the blue uniforms, any difference?
6a00d8341c60bf53ef01156fbe6e5a970c-500wi

You mean, in the closet?

You a Muslim, Homophobic as well, now take a look in the mirror, imagine yourself in the blue uniforms, any difference?

If you are going to tell me that the gay guys are infidels and deserve to die, then invite me to agree with you, how can you now pretend you are not homophobic?

You are a strange one Danny Boy.

You mean, in the closet?

If you are going to tell me that the gay guys are infidels and deserve to die, then invite me to agree with you, how can you now pretend you are not homophobic?

Pardon me, I forgot I have to explain every small detail like you are mentally challenged or something.
I Was [rhetorically] questioning your ideology, doesn't mean I'm sharing your twisted primitive perspective over G/L societies.
You tend to talk about me all time, now I'm feeling quite popular, get over it Weezlebub, there you can report me, happy?

You mean, in the closet?

Pardon me, I forgot I have to explain every small detail like you are mentally challenged or something.
I Was [rhetorically] questioning your ideology, doesn't mean I'm sharing your twisted primitive perspective over G/L societies.
You tend to talk about me all time, now I'm feeling quite popular, get over it Weezlebub, there you can report me, happy?

Don't project your sick fantasies of what you would like me to think, then blame me for them.

Don't project your sick fantasies of what you would like me to think, then blame me for them.

You have SERIOUS issues with reading comprehension (among other things)

I Share nothing but a sympathy to the G/L societies, being discriminated minority, victim of primitive hatred, just like Israel.
You on the other hand are the true hypocrite, in one post you mock toastman for being gay, now you crudely attempt again and again to sway it all against me, shame to humanity Weezlebub.

I Share nothing but a sympathy to the G/L societies, being discriminated minority, victim of primitive hatred, just like Israel.
You on the other hand are the true hypocrite, in one post you mock toastman for being gay, now you crudely attempt again and again to sway it all against me, shame to humanity Weezlebub.

Its true. I mocked toasty. But not gays in general. Do you think his feeling was hurt?
:)

I think the gay community would see that, and would not be too worried.
I will ask them when I see them next.

Boy, you really do have an issue with conflating things, don't you?!

Its true. I mocked toasty. But not gays in general. Do you think his feeling was hurt?
:)

I think the gay community would see that, and would not be too worried.
I will ask them when I see them next.

Boy, you really do have an issue with conflating things, don't you?!
Mocking him for being gay, is primitive, go back to cave.

You mean, in the closet?

You have it wrong. Being an anti Zionist is being hateful.

Being an anti Zionist is the same as being anti Fascist, a good thing.

Mocking him for being gay, is primitive, go back to cave.

I was really mocking him for his ambiguous turn of phrase. I didn't actually realise he is gay.

So toasty, I will raise a glass to you personal preferences and salute you for your courage in them.
But still oppose your Zionist tendencies and poor phraseology. :)

Last edited:

Israel is hated by those that are being oppressed and killed by Israel. Just as Jews hated the Germans, for the same reasons. It has nothing to do with being Jewish. If the Swiss were doing what Israel is doing to the non-Jews of Palestine, the Swiss would be hated.

Slap to reality, I couldnt care less what people think about me, we already went through the 'if' situations - no point repeating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back