"A free thinker is Satan's slave"

The rebuttal is over. They're too stupid to recognize that they lost, so there's really no point in going anywhere except to potty humor.

Ultimately, it's all they understand.

Well that's a blatant lie.

I said it's all you understand. You don't understand the grammar, that's certain.

Banned now aye?

Any guesses as to what her new name will be?

God_Loves_Me_Best

If_You_Disagree_With_Me_You're_Hitler

Female_Version_Of_Jesus

House rules state no discussing the bannees however - I'm sure it's temporary. After all, TM still lives here, and she's been in a revolving door of bannedness ever since my arrival last year.

Benjamin Rush

Signer of the Declaration of Independence

The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Essays, Literary, Moral and Philosophical (Philadelphia: Thomas and William Bradford, 1806), p. 8.)

We profess to be republicans, and yet we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government, that is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by the means of the Bible. For this Divine Book, above all others, favors that equality among mankind, that respect for just laws, and those sober and frugal virtues, which constitute the soul of republicanism.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Essays, Literary, Moral and Philosophical (Philadelphia: Printed by Thomas and William Bradford, 1806), pp. 93-94.)

By renouncing the Bible, philosophers swing from their moorings upon all moral subjects. . . . It is the only correct map of the human heart that ever has been published. . . . All systems of religion, morals, and government not founded upon it [the Bible] must perish, and how consoling the thought, it will not only survive the wreck of these systems but the world itself. "The Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." [Matthew 1:18]

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Letters of Benjamin Rush, L. H. Butterfield, editor (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1951), p. 936, to John Adams, January 23, 1807.)

Remember that national crimes require national punishments, and without declaring what punishment awaits this evil, you may venture to assure them that it cannot pass with impunity, unless God shall cease to be just or merciful.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, An Address to the Inhabitants of the British Settlements in America Upon Slave-Keeping (Boston: John Boyles, 1773), p. 30.)

Wonder why so many in gov't are trying to make a nation of Biblical illiterate subjects (versus citizens)?
It should be fine if religious education is optional, Christianity is not the only religion covered, and so long as students/teachers aren't forced to pray, or suffer discrimination if they don't.

God is watching us, and not from such a distance as the song would have us believe, Mr. Huggy. :)

But I won't be the one ask someone who can't deal with it to. :D

Sorry, I've been out of town for a few days for a funeral, wasn't around to reply.

I'm just going to make a quick post here.

Teaching someone how to do something is not the same as teaching them they should do it. That seemed to be your argument logical....kids are being taught to have sex, not being taught how. So, my counter is that they are not being taught to do it. That doesn't mean I approve of any of the things being taught, but it does draw a line between saying something like, "It's better for you not to have sex, but if you do, here's how to be safe" and saying, "Go have sex! Here's how!".

kg, the same point applies to you. I'm not commenting on what the kids may be learning but what the teaching is specifically. You used both terms in your original comment to me. I won't deny that kids will, after being taught about sex, decide to go have sex. I'm denying any evidence that schools are teaching them they should go out and do it.

Why else would you teach someone "how to do something" if you did not intend for them to do it? Is there any teaching that sex between children is WRONG? Is there any teaching that CHILDREN should not have sex? You are playing with words while ignoring the reality. Children are "encouraged" by schools (we will get you birth control or even an abortion without your parents knowledge), hollywood (PG13 often has more sex than R movies), social shakers (lets have a depravity parade), the music industry (where girls and women are referred to as animals (not even individuals with minds), or derogatory body parts. While you are concentrating on being "politically correct" the children of this country are being led to believe the way to achieve human "best" is to be other people's sex toy. It is a sad state, and many good people are focused on the immediate future while the near future is disintegrating in front of us.

Only hardcore moralist parents forbid their underage children alcohol?

Interesting take.

That's not what I said.

I'm talking about the ones who shelter their kids and ignore reality.

And these "reality" parents.... the ones that say "if" you are going to have sex, you should use protection (girl: put her on the pill). Why not tell them that they do not have to have sex to be an awesome person? Why not tell them that if they have sex, the consequences can be STDs, pregnancy (are you ready to be a parent, no, then don't have sex), or even death? Why not explain to them that they can wait until "they" are ready with the appropriate person, the appropriate place, and the appropriate time? Sex can be a very beautiful gift to someone you love or it can be an ugly act of subjugation. Why not teach children that they "can" wait? Why not teach them that they are not missing anything by enjoying childhood until they are ready to take on the responsibilities of adulthood?

Benjamin Rush

Signer of the Declaration of Independence

The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Essays, Literary, Moral and Philosophical (Philadelphia: Thomas and William Bradford, 1806), p. 8.)

We profess to be republicans, and yet we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government, that is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by the means of the Bible. For this Divine Book, above all others, favors that equality among mankind, that respect for just laws, and those sober and frugal virtues, which constitute the soul of republicanism.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Essays, Literary, Moral and Philosophical (Philadelphia: Printed by Thomas and William Bradford, 1806), pp. 93-94.)

By renouncing the Bible, philosophers swing from their moorings upon all moral subjects. . . . It is the only correct map of the human heart that ever has been published. . . . All systems of religion, morals, and government not founded upon it [the Bible] must perish, and how consoling the thought, it will not only survive the wreck of these systems but the world itself. "The Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." [Matthew 1:18]

(Source: Benjamin Rush, Letters of Benjamin Rush, L. H. Butterfield, editor (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1951), p. 936, to John Adams, January 23, 1807.)

Remember that national crimes require national punishments, and without declaring what punishment awaits this evil, you may venture to assure them that it cannot pass with impunity, unless God shall cease to be just or merciful.

(Source: Benjamin Rush, An Address to the Inhabitants of the British Settlements in America Upon Slave-Keeping (Boston: John Boyles, 1773), p. 30.)

Wonder why so many in gov't are trying to make a nation of Biblical illiterate subjects (versus citizens)?
It should be fine if religious education is optional, Christianity is not the only religion covered, and so long as students/teachers aren't forced to pray, or suffer discrimination if they don't.

I understand your reluctance about religious teaching. That was not what I said.
The Bible is a great Book of learning. There is story after story with history, ethics, personal developement and independent thinking. It should be required reading (say Literature, you decide how to interpret what you read). My reasoning is the history of the USA is tied to Biblical teaching, and if people (citizens) are going to discuss the Bible, they should know what books there are and how to find information. Also, there are way too many political leaders that are quoting the Bible to MANIPULATE the public instead of spread "wisdom" (a gift of the Holy Spirit). It would save trying to explain Biblical stories to those that are taking someone else's word for what is actually in the Bible.

Sorry, I've been out of town for a few days for a funeral, wasn't around to reply.

I'm just going to make a quick post here.

Teaching someone how to do something is not the same as teaching them they should do it. That seemed to be your argument logical....kids are being taught to have sex, not being taught how. So, my counter is that they are not being taught to do it. That doesn't mean I approve of any of the things being taught, but it does draw a line between saying something like, "It's better for you not to have sex, but if you do, here's how to be safe" and saying, "Go have sex! Here's how!".

kg, the same point applies to you. I'm not commenting on what the kids may be learning but what the teaching is specifically. You used both terms in your original comment to me. I won't deny that kids will, after being taught about sex, decide to go have sex. I'm denying any evidence that schools are teaching them they should go out and do it.

Why else would you teach someone "how to do something" if you did not intend for them to do it? Is there any teaching that sex between children is WRONG? Is there any teaching that CHILDREN should not have sex? You are playing with words while ignoring the reality. Children are "encouraged" by schools (we will get you birth control or even an abortion without your parents knowledge), hollywood (PG13 often has more sex than R movies), social shakers (lets have a depravity parade), the music industry (where girls and women are referred to as animals (not even individuals with minds), or derogatory body parts. While you are concentrating on being "politically correct" the children of this country are being led to believe the way to achieve human "best" is to be other people's sex toy. It is a sad state, and many good people are focused on the immediate future while the near future is disintegrating in front of us.

We were discussing schools, not entertainment. Those are two completely different discussions. Sex sells, so advertising and entertainment use that.

The reason to teach children about how to safely have sex is because the entirety of human history shows that some of them WILL have sex. There is nothing that prevents teaching children about safety in sex while at the same time teaching them about the dangers and encouraging them NOT to have sex until they are adults. I have not in any way said that I think children should be encouraged to have sex. However, I realize the reality of the situation is that many of them will before they reach the age our society considers adulthood. I think teaching the dangers involved in sex is great and should be a part of any sex ed class. Pregnancy, STD's, these should play prominent roles. I don't mind graphic descriptions or pictures of some of the worse possible outcomes (age appropriately) and I don't mind telling children they should wait until they are adults to make the decision to have sex.

Just because I don't believe children are being taught that having sex is the best choice doesn't mean I'm against teaching them to wait.

God is watching us, and not from such a distance as the song would have us believe, Mr. Huggy. :)

So .... You are saying that your god is a stalker?

If I believed that the god you support is a stalker, I as any freedom loving American should take action to remove the existance of such an infringement and invasion of my privacy.

How does that song go again?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7P1i2HpwNI]Elton John -Burn down the mission (1970) Tumbleweed Connecti - YouTube[/ame]

So .... You are saying that your god is a stalker?

If I believed that the god you support is a stalker, I as any freedom loving American should take action to remove the existance of such an infringement and invasion of my privacy.

How does that song go again?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7P1i2HpwNI]Elton John -Burn down the mission (1970) Tumbleweed Connecti - YouTube[/ame]

God a stalker? hehe. I'll give you one better.... He knows our thoughts. Not just what we do on the outside; but knows the intentions of our heart. God IS God and He is good. :D

The Psalmist here is asking God to help him, to search his heart and find any wicked way in himself and lead him out of it. Blatant honesty there.

Psalm 139
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

He knows everything we do and why we do it, even when we don't understand.

Job 34
21 For his eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings.
22There is no darkness, nor shadow of death, where the workers of iniquity may hide themselves.

Right, I know..you don't believe in Him? You think of Him as something people made up to feel better at night?

For some, believing in God is probably more terrifying for them; as they will have to face Him one day and they don't like how He works, or that He knows us better than we know our own selves. So therefore: Denial....one of the defenses we try to come up with to try to hide something.

However, when fully reading God's Word, and calling upon His Name, His Grace and love outweigh any of the things we fear from this "world", even ourselves. Because we realize then our broken state; that we cannot help ourselves sometimes, and we need His loving help.

Last edited:
I'll add to that:

Exodus 34:14
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

His Name is even "Jealous". Not the "envy or coveting" as some would like to try to call it.
But He is ZEALOUS for us; His creation. He LOVES us. ALOT. ALOT, alot, alot.
We cannot even fathom, for we only see partially. And we cannot even fathom what He has in store for those who love Him:

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Forum List

Back