Who wrote the bible?

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
Books of the NT:

"Their authors were associates of Jesus or his immediate followers, men to whom Jesus had entrusted the leadership of the early church. The Gospel writers Matthew and John were some of Jesus' closest followers. Mark and Luke were companions of the apostles, having access to the apostles' account of Jesus' life.
The other New Testament authors had immediate access to Jesus as well: James and Jude were half-brothers of Jesus who initially did not believe in him. Peter was one of the 12 apostles. Paul started out as a hater of Christianity, but he became an apostle after he had a vision of Christ. He was also in communication with the other apostles."

These are not Roman or Greek philosophers. Though some of the bible was written in Greek.

"Our modern translations are confirmed by a huge number of ancient manuscripts in both Hebrew and Greek, including the mid-20th century discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. These scrolls hold the oldest existing fragments of almost all of the Old Testament books, dating from 150 B.C. The similarity of the Dead Sea manuscripts to hand copies made even 1,000 years later is proof of the care the ancient Hebrew scribes took in copying their scriptures."

Who Wrote the Bible - Is the Bible Reliable?

Books of the NT:

"Their authors were associates of Jesus or his immediate followers, men to whom Jesus had entrusted the leadership of the early church. The Gospel writers Matthew and John were some of Jesus' closest followers. Mark and Luke were companions of the apostles, having access to the apostles' account of Jesus' life.
The other New Testament authors had immediate access to Jesus as well: James and Jude were half-brothers of Jesus who initially did not believe in him. Peter was one of the 12 apostles. Paul started out as a hater of Christianity, but he became an apostle after he had a vision of Christ. He was also in communication with the other apostles."

These are not Roman or Greek philosophers. Though some of the bible was written in Greek.

"Our modern translations are confirmed by a huge number of ancient manuscripts in both Hebrew and Greek, including the mid-20th century discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. These scrolls hold the oldest existing fragments of almost all of the Old Testament books, dating from 150 B.C. The similarity of the Dead Sea manuscripts to hand copies made even 1,000 years later is proof of the care the ancient Hebrew scribes took in copying their scriptures."

1. In the early years, Christianity was an outlaw religion, and secrecy was required, surreptitious meetings in caves and crypts. As a result of isolation and separation of the various Christian groups, practices and philosophies began to differ. As could be expected, numerous gospels were produced…and they differed in marked ways.

2. As a result of the number, and kinds, of gospels extant, several with a Gnostic bent, there was the very real danger of the young Christian church splintering into different religions. In the second century, the bishop of Lyon, Saint Irenaeus, wrote the five volume “Against Heresies,” (called “The Destruction and Overthrow of Falsely So-called Knowledge”) designed to remove Gnostic beliefs out of the Christian religion, and to limit it to the four-fold Gospel canon. All the others were deemed heretical.

Contrary to some of the information in the link, there is quite a bit of discussion about sources and authenticity....

3. The Gospel of Thomas. The opening lines of this gospel say that it contains "secret sayings" of Jesus, and that anyone who discovers their true meaning "will not taste death". The gospel then gives 114 of these sayings, most of them introduced by the words "Jesus said"…. the only surviving complete copy is a Coptic translation…. many scholars consider it to be the most important surviving non-biblical gospel.

4. The opening line of Genesis, “Let there be light,” is identified with Jesus as this primordial light by both Thomas and John. But, thence, their interpretations widely diverge.

a. According to Thomas, the light not only brought the universe into being, but continues to exist within each who was made in the image of God, and that light remains, waiting to be found.

b. John also believed that the primordial light was embodied by Christ, but that only Christ continues to hold this light. For the rest of the world it is eternal darkness, and the path back to the light, back to salvation and God, is only through the worship of the divine Christ.

Last edited:
Only one hit...I didn't think it would because ultimately, people who dispute the history of the bible, who cast aspersions on its authors and it's accuracy, don't really want to discuss the reality of it.

Either God isn't or is.
Either Jesus is God's full revelation to us or he isn't.
If you give positive assent to the above,here's another one: if God is àll powerful, why should he not have given us his version of events and ensured it would never be distorted by humanity or the passage of time?

How can they have been in direct contact with JC when the oldest part of the NT was writen 70 years after JC's death.

How can they have been in direct contact with JC when the oldest part of the NT was writen 70 years after JC's death.

"Bishop John A. T. Robinson argued in his Redating the New Testament that the entire New Testament was written and in circulation between 40 and 65 A.D. Some quotes from this book:
"It was at this point that I began to ask myself just why any of the books of the New Testament needed to be put after the fall of Jerusalem in 70. As one began to look at them, and in particular the epistle to the Hebrews, Acts and the Apocalypse, was it not strange that this cataclysmic event was never once mentioned or apparently hinted at (as a past fact)? (Redating, p. 10).

"One of the oddest facts about the New Testament is that what on any showing would appear to be the single most datable and climactic event of the period — the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70 — is never once mentioned as a past fact. . . . [T]he silence is nevertheless as significant as the silence for Sherlock Holmes of the dog that did not bark". (Ibid., p. 13.)

Commenting on the Book of Revelation: "It is indeed generally agreed that this passage must bespeak a pre-70 situation. . . . There seems therefore no reason why the oracle should not have been uttered by a Christian prophet as the doom of the city drew nigh." (Ibid pp. 240-242). "

In the sixties, Robinson started off as one of the most skeptical of liberals and wrote books like "Death of God" that sparked a whole movement. How contrary to that were his later discoveries and revelations.

And of course we believe that Jesus is still very much alive. For example he appeared to a disbelieving Paul long after his crucifixion and death.

Books of the NT:

Five books of the old testament were supposed to have been written by Moses yet most of that is written in third person. Who was that mystery writer who stood there and watched and listened to god and Moses and saw the burning bush

Pretty obvious that somebody imagined or made up that crock of shit

Last edited:
As someone that is sometimes an interpreter I know that it is not who WROTE the Bible that matters, it was who TRANSLATED the Bible.

As someone that is sometimes an interpreter I know that it is not who WROTE the Bible that matters, it was who TRANSLATED the Bible.

Well.....look up some scripture on the Internet. They show 4 or 5 different translations. For the most part the difference is wording. I've not seen any significant difference in the meaning.

Well.....look up some scripture on the Internet. They show 4 or 5 different translations. For the most part the difference is wording. I've not seen any significant difference in the meaning.

True, but I am talking about the translators hundreds of years ago. There are words translated from Greek in the bible where there was never a Greek word for that word when the Bible was written.
Politics of the day when the Bible was translated.
Myths that the hundreds of scribes that translated the Bible for the King James version cover for that with "they were inspired by God" nonsense.

True, but I am talking about the translators hundreds of years ago. There are words translated from Greek in the bible where there was never a Greek word for that word when the Bible was written.
Myths that the hundreds of scribes that translated the Bible for the King James version cover for that with "they were inspired by God" nonsense.

Oh I don't think you have to cut anybody any slack in that respect. What one has to first understand is that the bible and everything in it came from the developing imagination of primitive mankind....inspired by the dread of his mortality.

If the supreme creator of the universe, the just and loving god of all mankind, left the only keys to the kingdom with a bunch of camel jockies who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat...........he has one helluva sense of humor.

It didn't happen like that, as you would know if you had any understanding of the way the bible has been handled through the ages.

It didn't happen like that, as you would know if you had any understanding of the way the bible has been handled through the ages.

How the Bible was "handled" had nothing to do with the translations by scribes that took their orders from the monarchs and their religous influences of the day.
A thorough understanding and education in the cultures of the day when the translations took place is needed to understand not only the historical accounts in the Bible, which I believe to be fairly accurate, and the supposed commands by God that conflict with each other in different books in the Bible and were motivated more by the ideology of the day rather than by fact.
Sort of amazing those folks claimed to hear God speak and all of a sudden the big guy has clammed up for the last 2000 years.

Last edited:

How the Bible was "handled" had nothing to do with the translations by scribes that took their orders from the monarchs and their religous influences of the day.
A thorough understanding and education in the cultures of the day when the translations took place is needed to understand not only the historical accounts in the Bible, which I believe to be fairly accurate, and the supposed commands by God that conflict with each other in different books in the Bible and were motivated more by the ideology of the day rather than by fact.
Sort of amazing those folks claimed to hear God speak and all of a sudden the big guy has clammed up for the last 2000 years.

Like I said.....he has one helluva sense of humor:

John 14

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

When he said this he automatically condemned about 70%-80% of all the humans who have ever lived on the planet.

Mark 13:31
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but My words shall not pass away.

Is the Bible truly God's Word?

Question: "Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God’s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself. ............

......The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God and not just a good book? What is unique about the Bible that sets it apart from all other religious books ever written? Is there any evidence that the Bible is truly God’s Word? These types of questions must be seriously examined if we are to determine the validity of the Bible’s claim to be the very Word of God, divinely inspired, and totally sufficient for all matters of faith and practice. There can be no doubt that the Bible does claim to be the very Word of God. This is clearly seen in Paul’s commendation to Timothy: “… from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:15-17). ......

Like I said.....he has one helluva sense of humor:

John 14

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

When he said this he automatically condemned about 70%-80% of all the humans who have ever lived on the planet.

You've got it ass-backwards.

Romans 8

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Hey, if you don't want to admit you do things wrong (or sin); fine by me and everyone else. The truth is we all know you do, and so do we.

Who wrote the Bible? Depends on which version you're using.

The first 5 books are the Torah, and were given to the Jewish people by God. The rest of the OT is simply the history of what happened to the Jewish people over time.

When Rome sacked Jerusalem, they saw something in their religion which appeared to work, so they got 70 different rabbi scholars to write the Torah, placing each of them in separate rooms, and the Romans were amazed that all 70 copies were EXACTLY alike. They took those scrolls back to Rome and used that to start Christianity as it currently exists.

If I'm going to delve into the OT, I'd much rather have a Jewish scholar translate it directly from Hebrew to English, as a lot of the meaning in the OT was lost as it got translated from Hebrew to Greek to Roman to English.

Then..........there was the Council of Nicea which gave us the KJV, and the Bible was HEAVILY edited, resulting in the version used today.

Who wrote it? God wrote the first 5 books in the form of the Torah, and mankind (who may have been divinely inspired, or been inspired by their own pursuit of wealth and power) who wrote the rest.

Forum List

Back