Zone1 A Distraction at Church, and a "Moral" Challenge

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My wife and I come to Florida for the month of February (regardless of what the Groundhog predicts), renting a different place every year, and part of the experience is finding a "nice Catholic" church to attend for the four Sundays of our trip. Often, we will try a couple churches on the first and second Sundays, then settle on one for the remaining weeks. It is noteworthy that during February, which is the height of "Snowbird" season, any church we find will be majority-geezer, like us. The churches are consequently all pushing for extra donations from the Snow Birds, who are presumed to have money and will only be there during these Winter months. But that's OK.

The second Sunday this year, we found a lovely church with a nice and welcoming congregation, excellent music, a good pastor, and several enjoyable events scheduled for February (they had a car cruise yesterday morning, bake sale this morning, etc.).

We go to the Saturday evening Mass because it works best for our schedule.

But here's the thing. There is a man in church who seems to attend the Saturday vigil service every week. I don't know the technical term for it, but he was a person we used to refer to as a "retard." Down's Syndrome, perhaps? Well, he "sings" along with every singing part of the Mass, whether it is congregational singing or the Cantor. He knows neither the words nor the music, so he is "singing" gibberish at the top of his voice during literally every sung part of the Mass - which is a considerable part. He is also quite pleased with himself and always has a big smile on his face.

The congregation is used to it, as everyone just ignores him. How could one do otherwise?

This creates a moral/ethical dilemma for us. Both my wife and I find this very irritating. I'm sure if we went there every week for a year our ears would just shut him out, as we long ago learned to do with unruly kids. But for now, it's an irritation. The church is otherwise ideal for our circumstances, but there is a temptation to go someplace else to avoid this irritation. But that wouldn't be very "Christian," would it?

Only one more Sunday to go. We'll probably just go there and pretend not to hear him.

Maybe if we smoked a joint before going into the church...

My wife and I come to Florida for the month of February (regardless of what the Groundhog predicts), renting a different place every year, and part of the experience is finding a "nice Catholic" church to attend for the four Sundays of our trip. Often, we will try a couple churches on the first and second Sundays, then settle on one for the remaining weeks. It is noteworthy that during February, which is the height of "Snowbird" season, any church we find will be majority-geezer, like us. The churches are consequently all pushing for extra donations from the Snow Birds, who are presumed to have money and will only be there during these Winter months. But that's OK.

The second Sunday this year, we found a lovely church with a nice and welcoming congregation, excellent music, a good pastor, and several enjoyable events scheduled for February (they had a car cruise yesterday morning, bake sale this morning, etc.).

But here's the thing. There is a man in church who seems to attend the Saturday vigil service every week. I don't know the technical term for it, but he was a person we used to refer to as a "retard." Down's Syndrome, perhaps? Well, he "sings" along with every singing part of the Mass, whether it is congregational singing or the Cantor. He knows neither the words nor the music, so he is "singing" gibberish at the top of his voice during literally every sung part of the Mass - which is a considerable part. He is also quite pleased with himself and always has a big smile on his face.

The congregation is used to it, as everyone just ignores him. How could one do otherwise?

This creates a moral/ethical dilemma for us. Both my wife and I find this very irritating. I'm sure if we went there every week for a year our ears would just shut him out, as we long ago learned to do with unruly kids. But for now, it's an irritation. The church is otherwise ideal for our circumstances, but there is a temptation to go someplace else to avoid this irritation. But that wouldn't be very "Christian," would it?

Only one more Sunday to go. We'll probably just go there and pretend not to hear him.

You might ask some of the regulars about how they deal with the irritation. Their answers will likely be interesting. Perhaps some use the -but for the grace of God- idea, some may offer it as part of the sacrifice that is the Mass....

If you went to a place where people meditate and there was a member with turrets, would you stay? Heck no. Get out of there. Go down to the ocean and hold your own church services.

How much is it a month in Florida? I'm thinking about doing 2 or 3 months a year in Florida starting next year.

I don't attend church. I don't care much for them. Of course, I was a Catholic for 50 years.

After the next service go give the man a hug and tell him "God bless you" and that you hope to see him when you return next year.

And don't be surprised to see him serving as a governor, etc., in God's kingdom to come. He may very well be more filled with the Holy Spirit than the rest of us combined.

Jesus said the most humble in Heaven is the greatest in Heaven. :)

The dilemma is whether to tolerate the irritation or to go someplace else and enjoy a proper Mass.

When I was a kid, somebody would have shut that person up, one way or another. It is an irritation to everyone else to be kind to him. Is there ever a justification for a balancing?

The dilemma is whether to tolerate the irritation or to go someplace else and enjoy a proper Mass.

When I was a kid, somebody would have shut that person up, one way or another. It is an irritation to everyone else to be kind to him. Is there ever a justification for a balancing?
Maybe take video and share it here. Yes, I do believe that certain decorum should be met.

When have you seen a retard that wasn't smiling? He's innocent. Let it be. Could be that God put him there to teach you something. Instead of canceling it out; maybe really listening is what needs to be done...

When have you seen a retard that wasn't smiling? He's innocent. Let it be. Could be that God put him there to teach you something. Instead of canceling it out; maybe really listening is what needs to be done...
WomancringingOP3-760x425.jpg

I took special note of the part where he sang along with the cantor.

Your story called to mind three similar stories. My oldest daughter was a mere baby. When the congregation started singing, she opened her little mouth and sang "ahhhhhhhhhhh" with such passion her little face turned a bright red. People around us found it hilarious (while I was merely embarrassed by all the giggles, chuckling, and pointing). Then her younger sister came along. No "singing" from her until she was about two when she began to sing enthusiastically. She couldn't be easily heard, so it took me a couple of songs, listening carefully until I deciphered it. Every time the congregation sang, she joined in with the only song she knew: A-B-C-D-E-F-G!

The third was a man who had always been active in the Church: Choir, Knight, Usher, Lector. He suffered a stroke and also became hard of hearing. In all congregational songs and prayers, he could be heard over everyone else. Yes his words were garbled and he certainly could no longer carry a tune, but his presence and his worship were certainly there and a great example for all of us. In his case, it was inspiring.

In reflecting over your story, I think someone interrupting the cantor can legitimately be seen as a disruption. I don't know if the young man had a parent or caregiver, but if it was Down's Syndrome, he could be instructed in when to sing and how to sing more quietly. He, too, could be a great inspiration.

They can get into wanting attention, and since his caregiver isn't making him stop that, he'll go on forever. I was at a restaurant one morning and a retarded person came in with his parents and he had a nasty, sly way of making hand gestures to keep my attention. Not dirty: he just wanted attention, and he'd figured out how to get that from strangers. If he were there every morning, we'd go elsewhere.

What you describe is much worse and of course the parent should be controlling the bad behavior.

Find another church, watch one online or learn about some peoples condition that doesn't allow them to appreciate what they are doing. You believe some discipline would help someone who may not be able to understand the message? Your attirude is not very Christ-like I must say,.

I think a couple tabs of acid would really help. You could join in with the retard.

He has an innocent Spirit that God adores. His singing is likely more pleasing to God than the entire congregation's.

Do as you please but keep in mind, Christ's Kingdom is full "of innocent ones like these".

Forum List

Back