Zone1 A century later, U.S. Army overturns convictions of 110 Black soldiers

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
So in the 105 years since these men were deemed dishonorably discharged, including the ones who were executed, just image what those 110 families lost - no access to the VA Bill in order to purchase a home, no familial or survivor benefits for health care, education, pension programs, disability compensation, small business loans, job training, etc.

(Reuters) - The U.S. Army on Monday set aside the court-martial convictions from a century ago of 110 African American soldiers, including 19 who were executed, saying they were denied fair trials in a landmark acknowledgement of official racism in America.​
The Army Board for Correction of Military Records overturned the convictions, restoring their service records as having concluded honorably and making their descendants eligible for military benefits, the Army said in a statement.​
"After a thorough review, the Board found that these Soldiers were wrongly treated because of their race and were not given fair trials. By setting aside their convictions and granting honorable discharges, the Army is acknowledging past mistakes and setting the record straight," Army Secretary Christine Wormuth said in a statement.​
The reversal comes as right-wing politicians and parents banning books dealing with race and slavery in schools and the U.S. Supreme Court striking down affirmative action policies intended to promote racial equality in university admissions.​
The Army convictions arose out of the Houston Riots of Aug. 23, 1917, an outbreak of violence that followed months of racist taunts against Black soldiers of the 3rd Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment. They were also known as the Buffalo Soldiers, a name of Native American origin that was given to Black regiments in the Army dating to the 19th Century.​
On that day Black soldiers guarding a military property were subjected to racist slurs and physical attacks, the Army said. About 100 fellow Black soldiers came to their aid and marched into the city, where ensuing violence killed 19 people, the Army said.​
Army courts-martial eventually convicted 110 Black soldiers, including 19 who received the death penalty, in a process that historians determined contained "numerous irregularities," the Army said.​
The review board found the court-martial cases were so fundamentally unfair that all the convictions should be set aside.​
The mass execution of 19 soldiers was the largest carried out by the Army of American soldiers in history, the Army said.
The first group of men was hung in secret within one day of sentencing, the Army said.​
The convictions were overturned after the South Texas College of Law petitioned the Army to review the cases, prompting requests from retired officers to grant clemency to all 110 soldiers, the Army said.​
(Reporting by Daniel Trotta. Editing by Gerry Doyle)​
MSN

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
Farce. Most if not all were guilty. But the far left will have you believe blacks are as innocent as babies.

And dig the name of the Army Secretary, Christine Wormuth. Appropriate.

Last edited:
Farce. Most if not all were guilty. But the far left will have you believe blacks are as innocent as babies.

And dig the name of the Army Secretary, Christine Wormuth. Appropriate.
You're wrong.

No. Whites like you are still talking about the 1860 Republican party.
And you would prefer to praise Democrats today while ignoring the Democrats of 1860, while simultaneously blaming “white people” for what Democrats were doing in 1860.

Democrats really got you locked down, don’t they?

It has current day implications for the decedents of these men.

I guess you didn't read the story?
I guess I didn’t read the story. Can you quote me the part where implications for their decedents is even mentioned? Perhaps it was you who didn’t read the story…..

This part of the story was really good -

The reversal comes as right-wing politicians and parents banning books dealing with race and slavery in schools and the U.S. Supreme Court striking down affirmative action policies intended to promote racial equality in university admissions.

Its an article written for children and retards. Sometimes both.

I guess I didn’t read the story. Can you quote me the part where implications for their decedents is even mentioned? Perhaps it was you who didn’t read the story…..

This part of the story was really good -

Its an article written for children and retards. Sometimes both.
Why is it that people like you can understand the implications of certain past events, like the Revolutionary war, the ratification of our constitution, the civil war and emancipation proclamation, but can't understand the implcations of the killing of innocent black men on their families? I'm sure you understand the implications of white men killed during war on their families, so why do you have a problem here?

Besides the obvious.

Why is it that people like you can understand the implications of certain past events, like the Revolutionary war, the ratification of our constitution, the civil war and emancipation proclamation, but can't understand the implcations of the killing of innocent black men on their families? I'm sure you understand the implications of white men killed during war on their families, so why do you have a problem here?

Besides the obvious.
I totally understand the implications of the past. You mistakenly believe we live in the past. Learn from our history and move on. Your failings today belong to no one but yourself. Be a man and take responsibility for yourself.

Did you have your father in your house as a kid? Where does your lack of personal responsibility come from?

Last edited:
Over 100 years ago? Sounds like another spin on Reparations. It is well documented that US military leadership including the Army 'Board Of Corrections' has gone woke, so it is no surprise that they are looking for ways to correct historical wrongs, whether or not corrections are warranted. They aren't a court of law, so they have lots of latitude to alter history.

Forum List

Back