A black Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Annie?

They are all made up anyway......you can make them any color you want

It's a fan boy thing. Trust me.

If you can make up a black Spider-Man and people buy the comic

What difference does it make?

If a waitress brings you a chicken sandwich, when you asked for a hamburger, what difference does it make?

Do you really care if it comes from a white chicken or a brown chicken?

Make a black Superman and if it sells....make another one

Capitalism at its finest

Is there a big market for a black Spider-Man,Superman or Batman? Because I'm not seeing it.

Doesn't have to be a "big market" You can make money off a small market if they are willing to buy

If a waitress brings you a chicken sandwich, when you asked for a hamburger, what difference does it make?

Capitalism at its finest

Not saying that they don't have the right.

As a consumer I have the right to point out if they are producing crap.

Capitalism at its finest

Thought you didn't like capitalism?

When it fails, are you race pimps going to say it was because of racism?

Capitalism at its finest

Not saying that they don't have the right.

As a consumer I have the right to point out if they are producing crap.

I agree about pointing out crap but don't be surprise if the race pimps play the race card because you do.

Capitalism at its finest

Some black films do very well....some flop

Just like any other film

Capitalism at its finest

Just like any other film

I can't recall seeing a "black film". I've seen blacks in film.

Capitalism at its finest

Just like any other film

Have you never watched The Wiz? How about the remake of Death at a Funeral? :lol:

Capitalism at its finest

Just like any other film

Have you never watched The Wiz? How about the remake of Death at a Funeral? :lol:

Never watched it. I didn't say there weren't "black films" just that I haven't seen any of them.

Is there anything in the story lines of Superman, Spider-Man or batman that says they can't have been black?

Is there anything in the story lines of Superman, Spider-Man or batman that says they can't have been black?

For the most part, no. However, those are probably the oldest three ongoing comic characters and, as such, their identities are pretty well etched into the consciousness of comic fans as well as fans of their movies. Casting a non-white actor in any of the parts would only be an issue in that it would be a break from a long history, not because the story demands any particular race/ethnicity.

Uh no thankyou. Have no problem with black superheros or leads, but have a BIG problem with reinventing classics. Taking someone's work and radically altering it is like rewriting the Bible. Want a black orphan girl fine, make your own. Want black superheros I'm in line to see them, but make a new hero. Don't take a character who's always been one ethnicity and change it to another. Just as a Chinese "Spawn," or other originally black superhero suddenly not being black anymore would upset loyal fans, so does taking originally white heros and making them black. Not because they're black instead of white but because you changed the original story. How about we change "Roots" to be all Chinese slaves for the railroads? Get it?
Taking someone's work and radically altering it is like rewriting the Bible.
Damn that King James fellow!!!
He ruined a bloody good story!

For the most part, no. However, those are probably the oldest three ongoing comic characters and, as such, their identities are pretty well etched into the consciousness of comic fans as well as fans of their movies. Casting a non-white actor in any of the parts would only be an issue in that it would be a break from a long history, not because the story demands any particular race/ethnicity.

They were white for a reason. They were devised at a time when black heroes were not tolerated

We have cast Jesus as a blue eyed blonde and nobody seemed to mind

They were white for a reason. They were devised at a time when black heroes were not tolerated

That doesn't have any real effect on the familiarity of the characters.

As I said with Nick Fury, seeing a face so much different from the one I'd become used to was a bit of a shock to the system. It's not because the story doesn't allow it, it's just that I've seen the same face representing the character for so long, having that face change is jarring. It doesn't have to be a change in race, either; a change in artist can have the same kind of effect.

There's nothing wrong with a Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man of a different race. It just might be a hard sell because of the long history of those characters as white men. Given time, particularly if whatever movie cast them as a different race were to be a good one, people would mostly come to accept it I think. Whether a studio would have the guts to take that kind of chance, however, is something I doubt. That's especially true when there aren't likely to be a lack of white male actors willing to take on the role.

As I said with Nick Fury, seeing a face so much different from the one I'd become used to was a bit of a shock to the system. It's not because the story doesn't allow it, it's just that I've seen the same face representing the character for so long, having that face change is jarring. It doesn't have to be a change in race, either; a change in artist can have the same kind of effect.

There's nothing wrong with a Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man of a different race. It just might be a hard sell because of the long history of those characters as white men. Given time, particularly if whatever movie cast them as a different race were to be a good one, people would mostly come to accept it I think. Whether a studio would have the guts to take that kind of chance, however, is something I doubt. That's especially true when there aren't likely to be a lack of white male actors willing to take on the role.

Batman and Spider-Man wear masks
Hard to even tell if they are black

How about the way they cast Clark Kent as gay?

Batman and Spider-Man wear masks
Hard to even tell if they are black

How about the way they cast Clark Kent as gay?

Neither Batman nor Spider-Man wear masks 24 hours a day. And even when he does, Batman's mask only covers the upper part of his face.

Who cast Clark Kent as gay? Are any of your posts in this thread serious? :lol:

Uh no thankyou. Have no problem with black superheros or leads, but have a BIG problem with reinventing classics. Taking someone's work and radically altering it is like rewriting the Bible. Want a black orphan girl fine, make your own. Want black superheros I'm in line to see them, but make a new hero. Don't take a character who's always been one ethnicity and change it to another. Just as a Chinese "Spawn," or other originally black superhero suddenly not being black anymore would upset loyal fans, so does taking originally white heros and making them black. Not because they're black instead of white but because you changed the original story. How about we change "Roots" to be all Chinese slaves for the railroads? Get it?
What about making them all gay???

Do you hate gays too???
Hell a gay, black George Washington would not surprise me in this day and time.

Forum List

Back