Zone1 90 Ways to Empower Students to Address Antisemitism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if they weren't looking for antisemitism 24/7. There's a lot of competition for victim status. Even Trump claims he's a victim .
Did you make the same comment on the thread about fighting racism - that blacks are looking for racism 24/7? I didn’t see it there.

Did you make the same comment on the thread about fighting racism - that blacks are looking for racism 24/7? I didn’t see it there.

Yes. Evangelicals claim they are victims. So does Trump..so do gays and now men.

Yes. Evangelicals claim they are victims. So does Trump..so do gays and now men.
The question was…..did you make the same comment on the racism thread that blacks look for racism 24/7, the way you did with Jews?

Yes, but as I said….the problem is on college campuses, where antisemitism and anti-Israelism IS conflated. And in ALL cases, making broad-based hateful comments, such as Israel is a racist state and Israel Is an apartheid state, is indeed rooted in hatred toward Jews - with the proof that true racist nations barely get a passing mention. Only the Jewish state.

I agree with some and disagree with some.

Calling Israel Apartheid is a legitimate argument based on what is happening under Israel’s current government. Calling it Antisemitic is a mechanism meant to limit discussion in that direction. I think it is fair to say that Israel is not uniquely singled out for it’s treatment of minorities: China is under attack for it’s treatment of Uighurs, Myanmar for it’s genocide against the Rohinga, India for it’s increasing anti-democratic and unequal treatment of religious minorities, certain African countries for their treatment of homosexuals.

Where I do see antisemitism is in questioning Israel’s right to exist (no other country’s is existence is questioned) or it’s right to defend it’s civilian population against attacks. Every nation has that right.

The other metric is the same as in racism and that is in the use and propagation of negative and dishonest stereotypes, canards and stereotypes against an entire group, designed to disenfranchise, dehumanize, engender hate and even justify violence.

In the case of Jews, the many variations on Jews controlling banking, Hollywood, politics, or secret cabals creating a new world order. More subtle, classifying Jews as invaders in Israel/Palestine, blaming them for Hitler’s actions against them or claiming the Ashkanazi aren’t real Jews. I think substituting Zionists for Jews can be a way of trying to be make antisemitism “acceptable”, but context matters. There is a real issue with the settler movement that deserves criticism but that isn’t the same as mainstream Israeli society. It is also not exactly clear on what is meant by Zionists and who it applies too.

And from the opposite perspective, the ”New Antisemitism,” which is antisemitism couched with the weak claim “I’m not against Jews….I only hate Israel,” is allowed to spread by quickly silencing complaints about it.
How are they silenced? And….are you attempting to silence criticism of Israel and it’s policies as a state?

For example, after the antisemitic Squad members voted to call Israel a racist state, I looked up the top 10 racist countries. Guess what? Israel wasn’t even on it at all! So WHY would the Squad members zero in on the sole Jewish country for a vote, and skip over the real racist countries - such as Iran?
Same reason any other politicos zero in on particular nations and not other similar ones. Israel also has the unique status of being the only country that is so uniformly supported that very little criticism from elected officials is tolerated or reflected in policy.

Your premise starts at the fallacy that any criticism of Israel is "anti-Semitism".

The world is realising that Zionism is just another form of fascism. Maybe it's time for some introspection.
Anyone who has read the Bible as many times as I have, including the Old Testament, the Apocrypha, and the New Testament, knows that for Jews possession of the land of Israel is as important as personal salvation is for Christians.

All of Israel, including the land the Israeli Defense Force justly conquered in the Six Day War of 1967, is less than one percent of Arab land.

The Jews are the most accomplished people in the world. They displaced a nation, the members of which sometimes rape their sisters and kill them when they get pregnant

"Reputation is Everything": Honor Killing Among the Palestinians

and created an oasis of first world civilization.

Anyone who has read the Bible as many times as I have, including the Old Testament, the Apocrypha, and the New Testament, knows that for Jews possession of the land of Israel is as important as personal salvation is for Christians.
The bible also has talking snakes and giants in it... so you have to kind of take it with a grain of salt.

All of Israel, including the land the Israeli Defense Force justly conquered in the Six Day War of 1967, is less than one percent of Arab land.
But the point is that it was Arab land.

Had been for hundreds of years.

The Jews are the most accomplished people in the world. They displaced a nation, the members of which sometimes rape their sisters and kill them when they get pregnant
No, they just bomb hospitals and schools, that is so much better.

There is only one race so why would it be otherwise? Judaism is a religion made up of various ethnic peoples.
"The Inequality Taboo," by Charles Murray, Commentary, September 2005

The Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin originated the idea of race as a social construct in 1972, arguing that the genetic differences across races were so trivial that no scientist working exclusively with genetic data would sort people into blacks, whites, or Asians. In his words, "racial classification is now seen to be of virtually no genetic or taxonomic significance."

Lewontin's position, which quickly became a tenet of political correctness, carried with it a potential means of being falsified. If he was correct, then a statistical analysis of genetic markers would not produce clusters corresponding to common racial labels. In the last few years, that test has become feasible, and now we know that Lewontin was wrong.

Several analyses have confirmed the genetic reality of group identities going under the label of race or ethnicity. In the most recent, published this year, all but five of the 3,636 subjects fell into the cluster of genetic markers corresponding to their selfidentified ethnic group. When a statistical procedure, blind to physical characteristics and working exclusively with genetic information, classifies 99.9 percent of the individuals in a large sample in the same way they classify themselves, it is hard to argue that race is imaginary.

Once we acknowledge that race is a biological classification, it becomes acceptable to inquire into the genetic reasons for intractable racial differences in average intelligence, and rates of crime and illegitimacy.

Judaism is both a religion and a race. As a race Jews are noted for high intellectual achievement.

"The Inequality Taboo," by Charles Murray, Commentary, September 2005

The Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin originated the idea of race as a social construct in 1972, arguing that the genetic differences across races were so trivial that no scientist working exclusively with genetic data would sort people into blacks, whites, or Asians. In his words, "racial classification is now seen to be of virtually no genetic or taxonomic significance."

Lewontin's position, which quickly became a tenet of political correctness, carried with it a potential means of being falsified. If he was correct, then a statistical analysis of genetic markers would not produce clusters corresponding to common racial labels. In the last few years, that test has become feasible, and now we know that Lewontin was wrong.

Several analyses have confirmed the genetic reality of group identities going under the label of race or ethnicity. In the most recent, published this year, all but five of the 3,636 subjects fell into the cluster of genetic markers corresponding to their selfidentified ethnic group. When a statistical procedure, blind to physical characteristics and working exclusively with genetic information, classifies 99.9 percent of the individuals in a large sample in the same way they classify themselves, it is hard to argue that race is imaginary.

Once we acknowledge that race is a biological classification, it becomes acceptable to inquire into the genetic reasons for intractable racial differences in average intelligence, and rates of crime and illegitimacy.

Judaism is both a religion and a race. As a race Jews are noted for high intellectual achievement.
OK then, explain Ethiopian Jews......The mental gymnastics on that one should be fun to watch.

OK then, explain Ethiopian Jews......The mental gymnastics on that one should be fun to watch.
Ethiopian Jews converted to Judicism in the past, but they are not descended from Old Testament Israelite's the way Ashkenazi Jews, Sephardi Jews, and Mizrahi Jews are.

They were living there, which is all they are required to do.

So is it okay if someone takes your land if they can make better use of it?
The Palestinians did not own the land. They were landless farm laborers working land owned by Turkish landlords. The Turks sold the land to Jews who farmed it much more productively.

Once the Palestinians initiated the use of violence against Jews the Palestinians forfeited any claim to the land whatsoever.

I would argue that it is NOT religious persecution. It is from the right, but from the left, where it’s more about resentment to a successful minority - whom they consider oppressors.
You're a minority only due to your religion, you're still white which is not a minority in the U.S. or under the Civil Right Act of 1964. Right/left has nothing to do with it.

While being Black and being Jewish are both protected classes under the CRA of 1964, your attempt to characterize the Jewish people as a "successful minority" is a whitewash. The Jewish people who arrived on our shores fleeing the Nazis were afforded the same advantages that every other white person of similar stature here possessed. And some of you acquired their same biases and prejudices as well.

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to acknowledge that advantage.

You're a minority only due to your religion, you're still white which is not a minority in the U.S. or under the Civil Right Act of 1964. Right/left has nothing to do with it.

While being Black and being Jewish are both protected classes under the CRA of 1964, your attempt to characterize the Jewish people as a "successful minority" is a whitewash. The Jewish people who arrived on our shores fleeing the Nazis were afforded the same advantages that every other white person of similar stature here possessed. And some of you acquired their same biases and prejudices as well.

I don't know why it's so difficult for you to acknowledge that advantage.
Jews succeed against the odds.

What odds?
Two thousand years of pogroms, genocide, persecution, discrimination, the Holocaust. In Harvard there used to be quotas to keep Jews out because they performed so well. Hollywood was created by Jews because American corporations did not hire Jews.

Ethiopian Jews converted to Judicism in the past, but they are not descended from Old Testament Israelite's the way Ashkenazi Jews, Sephardi Jews, and Mizrahi Jews are.
Wait, now... So what you are arguing is that black people who call themselves Jews "converted", but white people from Europe who call themselves Jews were really and truly the descendents of the Judeans? (Even though White skin in that region would be an absolute liability!)

This is almost as crazy as the Mormon belief that Native Americans descended from the lost tribes and used to be white until God cursed them with dark skin.

The Ashkenazim are whiter than I am... because I'm 1/8th Cherokee Indian. (The rest is German, Irish, English and Dutch, but probably more German than anything else.)

Two thousand years of pogroms, genocide, persecution, discrimination, the Holocaust.

Okay, serious answer time.
All that stuff was bad. It doesn't justify what the Zionists are doing to the Palestinians.

So let's look at the roots of what caused European anti-Jewish sentiment.

1) "They Killed Jesus". Frankly, I don't think Jesus ever existed as a real person, but if you take the Bible at face value, they totally instigated his death. Pontius Pilate didn't want to execute Jesus, actually went out of his way to try to spare him before giving in to the mob. (This probably has to do more with the Romans approving gospels that held Rome blameless after they made Jesus the Official God of Rome.)

2) "Money, get back, it's alright Jack, get your hands off my stack" - during the middle ages, Usury was considered a sin. So good decent Christians couldn't loan money at interest. But this didn't apply to Jews, so they could. This turned the Jews into the money lenders of Europe. And yes, this caused resentment. When a king wanted to get out of his debts, what better way than to rile up anti-Jewish sentiment. (The same thing happened to the Knight's Templar, who were also in the money changing business.)

3) Backing the wrong horse! - In Spain, the Spanish Inquisition singled out the Jews because the Jews had helped the Arab rulers run the place until they were driven out by Ferdinand and Isabella. In Germany, Jews were instrumental in the revolution that overthrew Wilhelm II, which lead to a decade and a half of misery for the German people. I put more of the blame on the Allies for insisting on vindictive terms after WWI, but any port in a storm.

4) being an isolated group, they make a handy scapegoat. - Because they lived in isolated communities with their own customs, they were always viewed with suspicion. When the Black Plague broke out 1347, people claimed the Jews were poisoning the wells. (They also went around killing Cats because cats were associated with the devil, but ironically, the cats were killing the rats which carried the fleas that spread the plague.) When the Tsarist government published the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion", which was absolute nonsense, there was no counter narrative against it at the time. (And it's still used by anti-Semites who think that it's absolutely real.

What is not a factor is, "They were smarter than the rest of us." That's just the kinds of attitudes that cause the resentments listed above.

In Harvard there used to be quotas to keep Jews out because they performed so well.
Naw, they had quotas to keep them out for the same reason they excluded Germans, Irish, Catholics, Italians, and other groups of Europeans not considered WASP (White-Anglo-Saxon Protestant) enough. That's why the whole argument of "We can't have quotas because of merit, but we can have legacy admissions" is so laughable.

Hollywood was created by Jews because American corporations did not hire Jews.
No, Hollywood was created because the initial film production companies all had to pay royalties to the Edison Corporation to make film, and they didn't want to. So it was less about "not hiring Jews" and more about "How can we cheat Tommy Edison?" (Of course, Edison was a jerk, so this is one guy I don't feel bad got cheated.)

Hollywood was an ideal place to produce movies since filmmakers couldn’t be sued there for infringing on motion picture film patents held by Thomas Edison and his Motion Picture Patents Company. It also had warm, predictably sunny weather and diverse terrain perfect for movie backdrops.

The Palestinians did not own the land. They were landless farm laborers working land owned by Turkish landlords. The Turks sold the land to Jews who farmed it much more productively.

Once the Palestinians initiated the use of violence against Jews the Palestinians forfeited any claim to the land whatsoever.

I've heard that kind of nonsense spouted to rationalize the genocide of Native Americans.

The Nazis used that kind of logic to rationalize what they were doing.

I sometimes wonder if you even hear yourself.

I've heard that kind of nonsense spouted to rationalize the genocide of Native Americans.

The Nazis used that kind of logic to rationalize what they were doing.

I sometimes wonder if you even hear yourself.
What did I say that is nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back