81 sign the Buffett, Gates pledge

It is interesting that Buffett and Gates, two Dems, are giving away a large portion of their money.

It says something about their values.

And, just what does it say, oh great mind reader ?

Many a crook has given away his fortune at the end of life in an effort to cover a host of sins.

You are, without a doubt, one of the most shallow people on this board.

George Soros: NO

Oprah: NO

It is interesting that Buffett and Gates, two Dems, are giving away a large portion of their money.

Very unusual for Democrats, who are statistically quite stingy with their own money in any study ever done on the subject.

Very unusual for Democrats, who are statistically quite stingy with their own money in any study ever done on the subject.

To the best of my knowledge, they haven't given it up yet.

How binding is this pledge and who'se going to remember it ten years from now ?

FORTUNE -- Twelve billionaires -- with names like Ackman, Bronfman, and Musk -- have added their names to the Giving Pledge, the campaign started by Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates in 2010 to spur philanthropy among the superrich. That brings the number of total members, many signing jointly with their spouses, to 81.

Their commitment is to give away at least 50% of their wealth in their lifetimes or at death to charity. Buffett and the Gateses developed the idea believing that a quantified goal would help the wealthy to think through their philanthropic plans. "Obviously there are a host of people we can recruit, and certainly we'll be signing up many more," says Buffett. "But I will tell you, I would have thought the Giving Pledge a success at levels well below 81."

12 more billionaires sign on to Buffett/Gates pledge - Term Sheet

but... but... they are the 1%! They are evil.... right libtards???

FORTUNE -- Twelve billionaires -- with names like Ackman, Bronfman, and Musk -- have added their names to the Giving Pledge, the campaign started by Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates in 2010 to spur philanthropy among the superrich. That brings the number of total members, many signing jointly with their spouses, to 81.

Their commitment is to give away at least 50% of their wealth in their lifetimes or at death to charity. Buffett and the Gateses developed the idea believing that a quantified goal would help the wealthy to think through their philanthropic plans. "Obviously there are a host of people we can recruit, and certainly we'll be signing up many more," says Buffett. "But I will tell you, I would have thought the Giving Pledge a success at levels well below 81."

12 more billionaires sign on to Buffett/Gates pledge - Term Sheet

It's oh so nice they got the Andrew Carnegie bug to absolve the guilt over how they earned their cash... or whatever is making em feel guilty.

If they feel so guilty, they can just fill out how much more they feel they need to be paying in income tax on their forms saying "How much extra would you like to pay in income tax?"

Simple, no need for expanding tyrannical bureaucrat's influence in our lives. Voluntarily pony up as your guilty conscience sees fit.

Nunya damn business what anyone else pays. You keep your mind on what YOU feel like paying.

So why are they giving it to charity when they can just cut a check to the government who is supposedly so much better at spending money than private charities? Where's their faith in the system they love?

Last edited:
The pledge is a moral pledge...nothing legally binding.

I read through on some of the pledgers.....some have withdrawn pledges to other things in the past. What is so funny is that many of them have quite lavish lifestyles.

Buffet: No

Gates: More so

In the case of Larry Ellison, who signed the pledge, the money was already headed to charity via a trust a long long time ago. He simply went public with it.

you're an idiot, why do they have to sign a pledge? Just do it and if you mean quit telling us what good people you are. Do it and shut up or dont do it, I couldnt care less.

you're an idiot, why do they have to sign a pledge? Just do it and if you mean quit telling us what good people you are. Do it and shut up or dont do it, I couldnt care less.

Chris' greatest contribution to society will be when he dies.

They will compost his body and some garden is going to get a rich diet of s&^t.

Mitt and Ann Romney gave away 19% of their money to charity last year. I assume that means that you hold them in great esteem. Right?

Mitt and Ann Romney gave away 19% of their money to charity last year. I assume that means that you hold them in great esteem. Right?

Well, they actually gave it away...right now Buffet and Gates are pledging....although I do recall Gates pumping a lot of money into third world countries for medical care.

Buffett and Gates took on the malaria problem when no one else would.

God bless these guys.

Buffett and Gates took on the malaria problem when no one else would.

God bless these guys.

That's awesome!!!!!!!! and they should do more, GOOD for them!!!!!! now maybe if we had DDT we could have gotten rid of that aloooooooong time ago. But hey is billionaires want to help out God Bless them!!!! everyone! but I am Pro choice on that, chris. I think billionaires should do with their money what they want and if that is to kill mosquitos, I'm game.

Forum List

Back