81 sign the Buffett, Gates pledge

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
FORTUNE -- Twelve billionaires -- with names like Ackman, Bronfman, and Musk -- have added their names to the Giving Pledge, the campaign started by Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates in 2010 to spur philanthropy among the superrich. That brings the number of total members, many signing jointly with their spouses, to 81.

Their commitment is to give away at least 50% of their wealth in their lifetimes or at death to charity. Buffett and the Gateses developed the idea believing that a quantified goal would help the wealthy to think through their philanthropic plans. "Obviously there are a host of people we can recruit, and certainly we'll be signing up many more," says Buffett. "But I will tell you, I would have thought the Giving Pledge a success at levels well below 81."

12 more billionaires sign on to Buffett/Gates pledge - Term Sheet

Still waiting for the Koch brothers to sign the pledge.

Isn't it great that our captalistic society can create people who can donate this kind of cash to charity.

If it were up to the libs...they'd be giving it all to government.

If Chris were a billionaire, he would have enough money to hire accountants, lawyers, and lobbiests to make sure any law did not take any of his wealth.

Alas, Chris is not a billionaire and he would have been screwed if the law had been passed.

If they were serious about being taxed more, then why do they itemize? Why do they take deductions? Why hasn't Warren Buffet paid the taxes he already owes? Why has Buffet hired lawyers and is paying them to make sure he doesn't pay the taxes he already owes?

Did George Soros sign it ?

How about Oprha ?

Oprah's Charities Now Worth More Than $200 Million

With all the talk about the opening of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa this week, it’s kind of amazing to realize what her charities are now worth. It’s an astounding amount of money, with some interesting trivia, too.

According to GuideStar.org and federal tax filings, Winfrey runs three different charities: The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Network and The Oprah Winfrey Operating Foundation.

The Angel Network, of course, is heavily promoted on Winfrey’s show for fans to help raise money for worthy causes.

In 2005, the Angel Network distributed more than $4 million to 40 organizations with a lot of emphasis on Africa, Winfrey’s chief interest.

They also sent $2 million to disaster relief for victims of Hurricane Katrina and the Indian Ocean tsunami. The Angel Network claimed $15 million in net assets in 2004-2005.

Oprah’s Operating Foundation, with $19 million in assets, is set up just for the recently opened Leadership Academy in South Africa.

But the real meat and potatoes of Oprah’s giving comes from her personal foundation. According to its most recent filing, the Oprah Winfrey Foundation has total assets of a whopping $172 million. Just last year, Winfrey parked some $36 million of her own money in the Foundation, which in turn distributed $8 million to numerous educational, arts and medical groups.

Oprah Winfrey's Charities Worth More Than $200 Million | Fox News

Interesting thread, until OP revealed his stripes by mentioning Koch bros.

I always find the insane envy of Leftists and their obsession with getting their hands on someone else's money to be curious.

Are they born that way or is it environment?

If they were serious about being taxed more, then why do they itemize? Why do they take deductions? Why hasn't Warren Buffet paid the taxes he already owes? Why has Buffet hired lawyers and is paying them to make sure he doesn't pay the taxes he already owes?

Because that billion is racking up millions in interest. IRS laying off of him as long as he's down with the cause....the....uh...tax me more.....but not really.

I always find the insane envy of Leftists and their obsession with getting their hands on someone else's money to be curious.

What envy?

I don't envy the sick bastard Koch brothers who want government out of the way so they can pollute our air and water.

Did George Soros sign it ?

How about Oprha ?

Oprah's Charities Now Worth More Than $200 Million

With all the talk about the opening of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa this week, it’s kind of amazing to realize what her charities are now worth. It’s an astounding amount of money, with some interesting trivia, too.

According to GuideStar.org and federal tax filings, Winfrey runs three different charities: The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Network and The Oprah Winfrey Operating Foundation.

The Angel Network, of course, is heavily promoted on Winfrey’s show for fans to help raise money for worthy causes.

In 2005, the Angel Network distributed more than $4 million to 40 organizations with a lot of emphasis on Africa, Winfrey’s chief interest.

They also sent $2 million to disaster relief for victims of Hurricane Katrina and the Indian Ocean tsunami. The Angel Network claimed $15 million in net assets in 2004-2005.

Oprah’s Operating Foundation, with $19 million in assets, is set up just for the recently opened Leadership Academy in South Africa.

But the real meat and potatoes of Oprah’s giving comes from her personal foundation. According to its most recent filing, the Oprah Winfrey Foundation has total assets of a whopping $172 million. Just last year, Winfrey parked some $36 million of her own money in the Foundation, which in turn distributed $8 million to numerous educational, arts and medical groups.

Oprah Winfrey's Charities Worth More Than $200 Million | Fox News

Did she sign the pledge ?

How about George ?

What envy?

I don't envy the sick bastard Koch brothers who want government out of the way so they can pollute our air and water.

How about George.

He has only fleeced entire countries by manipulating their currency.

Is he up for giving some of it back ?

Oh wait...he supports your side.

So I guess fleecing entire countries is O.K.

If the Koch brothers are sick bastards then George is the Queen asshole devil himself.

It is interesting that Buffett and Gates, two Dems, are giving away a large portion of their money.

It says something about their values.

Forum List

Back