72% of American favor the Buffett Rule

Washington (CNN) - Hours before a crucial Senate vote over the so-called "Buffett Rule," a new national poll indicates that nearly three-quarters of Americans support the measure to require people earning $1 million a year or more to pay at least 30% in taxes.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey, 72% favor the bill, which is named for billionaire investor Warren Buffett, who has argued that it's unfair that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Twenty-seven percent oppose the measure.

CNN Poll: 7 out of 10 support ‘Buffett Rule’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I really have to say as an ultra conservative I agree fully with the Buffet Rule and others. There is a sound reason for same; For many who have some assets accrued, we do not subscribe to the American cool-ideal of golf and huge homes and so much largesse of "stuff" we will never use it or enjoy it. It just isn't in the cards.

So, like me, my little place in the Yucatan is paid for ($3256). Taxes there are $39.40 per year. I drive a 20 year old Jeep. Have a 1944 Army trailer to go with the Jeep. Live in an apartment in NM. So, with the rest I have made, I support two women's shelters on each side of the world, built a Christian based tech school in the Yucatan and try to find places whereby the largesse that isn't used can be applied to help folks do a little more, than they could otherwise.

So, the Buffet tax of 30% is not only fair but still leaves the owner with $700,000 out of a million so, that is not too bad for getting what one actually needs to live.

I support this and think it is very fair and sound.

Robert

Robert,

Several points to address your post.

First, your lifestyle sounds very interesting. I'd like to know more about how you came to purchase in Mexico. I'll send you a private message.

Next, your support of any worthy charity is very much a noble activity. We need more people who are willing to make those kinds of sacrifices.

Third, I would have no issues with additional taxes if the government were in balance and needed a boost. But right now, the left has shown an entrenched unwillingness to cut spending where it obviously needs to be cut. Social Security and Medicare are on the ropes and they need to be straigthened out. Our deficit is growing by leaps and bounds because of our governments unwillingness to make the tough cuts. Why would you or anyone else be willing to keep feeding and encouraging the beast ?

Fourth, that 700,000 isn't to live on. Very few people live at that level (even those who could). Much of that money is reinvested and goes back into starting businesses, growing businesses, or providing capital in routine markets. Taxing it at a higher level only cuts into the capital base of the country and converts that capital (which in turn creates more capital) into one time expenditures by the government for things that are often just simply stupid (Head Start).

Lastly, I will point out that despite the lefts whining about it, capital gains have been taxed prior to going to individuals. People complain about Romney's 14% when, in reality, he has probably paid 50% if you count the taxes paid on his distributions. He said as much a while ago.

Washington (CNN) - Hours before a crucial Senate vote over the so-called "Buffett Rule," a new national poll indicates that nearly three-quarters of Americans support the measure to require people earning $1 million a year or more to pay at least 30% in taxes.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey, 72% favor the bill, which is named for billionaire investor Warren Buffett, who has argued that it's unfair that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Twenty-seven percent oppose the measure.

CNN Poll: 7 out of 10 support ‘Buffett Rule’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

As soon as liberals start paying the taxes they think people should pay, I'll consider it, but they take advantage of every loophole, they are the most hyprcritical people on Earth. nobody is stopping them from paying more.

Last edited:

It may not hurt growth, but taking in an extra 5 Billion a year from this is pointless. It wont even cover one month of deficit spending. So, what again is the point?

Envy? Fair share?
It's simply a feel good rule. It makes those envious creatures think that now the scale is balanced. When it is not the tax revenue that the government has a problem with. It is the massive amounts of overspending.

Forum List

Back