70% Favor Voter ID Laws.

70% Favor Voter ID Laws.
It only makes sense. Most of the civilized world requires some form of voter ID when voting. Europe is a good example.

Yes, but European nations have a national id system, which the USA does not have.

In Germany, every citizen, and I mean, every citizen, applies for and receives a passport. The first card within the passport - the identity card - is duplicated by the passport agency and that card, which is absolutely identical to the passport card, is that person's identification card (Ausweis). The "Ausweis" is cost-free. No having to jump through 30 different hoops, depending on a particular state's regulations, in order to be able to vote.

So, what you say about Europe is essentially true. But the method is not the one that the US Right wants. Because the US Right wants voter suppresion, plain and simple.

My only concern is to eliminate or attempt to eliminate voter fraud. Requiring voter ID will not entirely eliminate voter fraud, however it will have a significant impact. Below is an article that describes issues Florida is having with voter fraud, however I'm sure these issues are not just present in Florida.

And now, an exceptional reporter in Florida has uncovered shocking fraud in that state – registration and voting by non-citizens – which officials had no idea was occurring, since they are prohibited from asking immigration status under the fraud-machine called the Motor Voter Act of 1993.

One Naples voter admitted she was an illegal alien – but election records show she voted six times in the past eleven years.

Investigators found the voter after examining “jury excusal” forms where a person said they couldn’t serve because they were not U.S. Citizens. They took those names and found dozens of those people in the database of Florida registered voters.

Since investigators only checked a very small sample of jury forms, one can only imagine how many thousands, or tens of thousands of illegals statewide who may have voted since the Motor Voter law was passed in 1993. Non-citizen voting is a Federal felony

Non citizens caught voting in Florida in large numbers

It only makes sense. Most of the civilized world requires some form of voter ID when voting. Europe is a good example.

Yes, but European nations have a national id system, which the USA does not have.

In Germany, every citizen, and I mean, every citizen, applies for and receives a passport. The first card within the passport - the identity card - is duplicated by the passport agency and that card, which is absolutely identical to the passport card, is that person's identification card (Ausweis). The "Ausweis" is cost-free. No having to jump through 30 different hoops, depending on a particular state's regulations, in order to be able to vote.

So, what you say about Europe is essentially true. But the method is not the one that the US Right wants. Because the US Right wants voter suppresion, plain and simple.

My only concern is to eliminate or attempt to eliminate voter fraud. Requiring voter ID will not entirely eliminate voter fraud, however it will have a significant impact. Below is an article that describes issues Florida is having with voter fraud, however I'm sure these issues are not just present in Florida.

And now, an exceptional reporter in Florida has uncovered shocking fraud in that state – registration and voting by non-citizens – which officials had no idea was occurring, since they are prohibited from asking immigration status under the fraud-machine called the Motor Voter Act of 1993.

One Naples voter admitted she was an illegal alien – but election records show she voted six times in the past eleven years.

Investigators found the voter after examining “jury excusal” forms where a person said they couldn’t serve because they were not U.S. Citizens. They took those names and found dozens of those people in the database of Florida registered voters.

Since investigators only checked a very small sample of jury forms, one can only imagine how many thousands, or tens of thousands of illegals statewide who may have voted since the Motor Voter law was passed in 1993. Non-citizen voting is a Federal felony

Your link only shows one illegal voter

"one can only imagine" is not proof

Last edited:

Investigators found dozens of illegals registered to vote. My guess is if these folks went to the trouble and risk of getting their names on the voter list, they most certainly went to vote. After all, there is no voter ID requirement, so they are free to vote as they please.

Okay, before I go further, I KNOW it's a Fox News Poll. But, check out the actual question:The actual poll is @ New Collection on US Intervention in Siberia, 1919?1920 | Hoover Institution

The actual phrasing of the question was pretty straight forward and not hedged to favor one side or the other: “Supporters of these laws say they are necessary to stop ineligible people from voting illegally. Opponents say these laws are unnecessary and mostly discourage legal voters from voting. What do you think?”

Anyhow, here the link to Hot Air with further links to back up the claims @ Shocker: seven in ten favor voter ID laws « Hot Air

You post this poll as if anyone in Washington gives a damn about popular opinion. We are talking about a Congress that only has a 10% approval rating and a President that only has around a 40% approval rating.

Did you know that about 80% of Americans favor term limits for Congress and a balanced budget for Congress? Who gives a damn?

This government does not represent us, it represents the Progressive agenda. We are just along for the ride.

Investigators found dozens of illegals registered to vote. My guess is if these folks went to the trouble and risk of getting their names on the voter list, they most certainly went to vote. After all, there is no voter ID requirement, so they are free to vote as they please.

Registering is not voting

My guess
Again, irrelevant in a court of law.

‘Dozens’ is meaningless and immaterial.

In order to place restrictions and limitations on the fundamental right to vote, the state must provide objective, documented evidence that ‘fraud’ is occurring to the extent that the outcome of a given election is changed.

Thus far the states have failed to do so, such as in Pennsylvania.

Again, what you think, feel, believe, or guess is irrelevant and inadmissible.

If people can't get THEMSELVES an Id then they don't want to vote very bad

that IS on THEM, not THE REST of us to bend over for them

This is unsurprisingly ignorant and ridiculous.

The right to vote is fundamental and inalienable, where the burden to prove that a given voting restriction is warranted, justified, and Constitutional rests solely with the state – and failing to meet that burden, measures placing restrictions on the right to vote are invalidated by the courts, and appropriately so.

My guess

In order to place restrictions and limitations on the fundamental right to vote, the state must provide objective, documented evidence that ‘fraud’ is occurring to the extent that the outcome of a given election is changed.

Dozens of illegals registered to vote is in my opinion objective, documented evidence that fraud has occurred. Voter ID is the only way to combat the fraud.

Dozens of illegals registered to vote is in my opinion objective, documented evidence that fraud has occurred. Voter ID is the only way to combat the fraud.

These people were illegally registered. Voter ID would have allowed them to vote once they proved who they were

Your issue is with the county registrar not doing his job....which is to verify the validity of voter registrations

These people were illegally registered. Voter ID would have allowed them to vote once they proved who they were

Your issue is with the county registrar not doing his job....which is to verify the validity of voter registrations
Voter ID would require photo ID along with proof of citizenship in order to vote. This applies regardless if the person is on the voter list. Unless these folks hired someone to provide them a stolen birth certificate along with a phony ID to match, it would be near impossible to commit voter fraud when verifying voter ID.

Nobody wants voter fraud. Nobody.

That being said (and I have stated this many times before), voter fraud is so miniscule, it doesn't even come close to tipping the scales.

I did this analysis of voter fraud in Ohio almost exactly one year ago, based entirely on the statistics put out a Republican Secretary of State:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: EXACT voter-fraud statistics out of Battleground OHIO

...number of fraud cases / total votes cast in Ohio in the 2012 presidential election = fraud percentage

135 / 5,590,931 = 0.0024%. That is a little over 2 1000th of one percent! Or, to be exact: 24 10,000ths of one percent.

That's it. Not 2/10ths of a percent, not 2/100ths of a percent, but rather 2/1000th of a percent.

The numbers speak for themselves.

Not only that, a number of those cases were cases of elderly people who accidentally voted twice and turned themselves in to make sure that the one vote was removed.

I will say that again: a number of those cases were cases of elderly people who accidentally voted twice and turned themselves in to make sure that the one vote was removed.

The fraud was spread pretty evenly between RED and BLUE counties in the Buckeye state.

We see these horror stories ever so often, but when pressed to actually provide documentation, it's usually crickets.

In Ohio, however, the justice system goes very agressively after voter fraud, and correctly so. Bravo to Ohio for doing this.

But again, that statistic is a drop in a bucket that is so small, you can even hope to see it.

To try to disenfranchise millions and millions and millions of legal voters, people who have a right to vote, for avoiding 0.0024% fraud? Nope, not the way the Right wants to do it.

Voter ID would require photo ID along with proof of citizenship in order to vote. This applies regardless if the person is on the voter list. Unless these folks hired someone to provide them a stolen birth certificate along with a phony ID to match, it would be near impossible to commit voter fraud when verifying voter ID.

You don’t understand.

When a citizen registers to vote he provides proof of his citizenship at that time, such as a state-issued photo ID which itself was issued per a birth certificate or other appropriate document.

The issue concerns voters who are already registered to vote, who have already proven their citizenship, who are on the voter registration logs showing as eligible voters being required to needlessly provide ID every time they vote.

Many citizens registered to vote 30 or 40 years ago, myself included, they’ve voted in every election since then and remain valid, eligible voters; and many have never had a state-issued photo ID because they weren’t available and required until recently, where many registered voters currently lack the required documentation to obtain a new ID – these are the American citizens who are being adversely effected by voter ID laws, one of many reasons why such laws are being invalidated by the courts, and appropriately so.

Now it moves to proof of citizenship at the time of voting? How many voters have passports?
How many women have different names on their birth certificate? How many Americans were born in other countries?

How long do you think it is going to take to vote now? The lines are long enough

Now it moves to proof of citizenship at the time of voting? How many voters have passports?
How many women have different names on their birth certificate? How many Americans were born in other countries?

How long do you think it is going to take to vote now? The lines are long enough

LWNJ would wait hours in line to see a movie on the first day its playing; but cant be bothered with ensuring fair elections

LWNJ would wait hours in line to see a movie on the first day its playing; but cant be bothered with ensuring fair elections

no kidding, they get more pathetic every day on this topic
I've had an ID for 45 years, both my son's got one at 14

Last edited:

You think it is right to make people wait for hours just to vote?

You must be Republican

Yes, why should voting be easy and efficient when certain Right-Wing state administrations can make it as hard as possible for people to vote.

Sure looks like they are scared of losing a lot of elections and the only way they can win is to keep the "other side" from voting.

But as we learned from 2012, there was a "backlash against the backlash".

So, Righties, bring it.

You don’t understand.

When a citizen registers to vote he provides proof of his citizenship at that time, such as a state-issued photo ID which itself was issued per a birth certificate or other appropriate document.

The issue concerns voters who are already registered to vote, who have already proven their citizenship, who are on the voter registration logs showing as eligible voters being required to needlessly provide ID every time they vote.

Many citizens registered to vote 30 or 40 years ago, myself included, they’ve voted in every election since then and remain valid, eligible voters; and many have never had a state-issued photo ID because they weren’t available and required until recently, where many registered voters currently lack the required documentation to obtain a new ID – these are the American citizens who are being adversely effected by voter ID laws, one of many reasons why such laws are being invalidated by the courts, and appropriately so.
So what do you do about those who fraudulently got themselves on the voter list? The only efficient way to filter out the illegal voters is to require voter ID upon voting which would include proof of citizenship and photo ID.

A birth certificate should suffice for proof of citizenship. Most married women do indeed have different family names on their birth certificates, however the photo ID along with their first name and middle initial will confirm who they are. No need to dig up old marriage certificates.

Nobody wants voter fraud. Nobody.

That being said (and I have stated this many times before), voter fraud is so miniscule, it doesn't even come close to tipping the scales.

I did this analysis of voter fraud in Ohio almost exactly one year ago, based entirely on the statistics put out a Republican Secretary of State:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: EXACT voter-fraud statistics out of Battleground OHIO

...number of fraud cases / total votes cast in Ohio in the 2012 presidential election = fraud percentage

135 / 5,590,931 = 0.0024%. That is a little over 2 1000th of one percent! Or, to be exact: 24 10,000ths of one percent.

That's it. Not 2/10ths of a percent, not 2/100ths of a percent, but rather 2/1000th of a percent.

The numbers speak for themselves.

Not only that, a number of those cases were cases of elderly people who accidentally voted twice and turned themselves in to make sure that the one vote was removed.

I will say that again: a number of those cases were cases of elderly people who accidentally voted twice and turned themselves in to make sure that the one vote was removed.

The fraud was spread pretty evenly between RED and BLUE counties in the Buckeye state.

We see these horror stories ever so often, but when pressed to actually provide documentation, it's usually crickets.

In Ohio, however, the justice system goes very agressively after voter fraud, and correctly so. Bravo to Ohio for doing this.

But again, that statistic is a drop in a bucket that is so small, you can even hope to see it.

To try to disenfranchise millions and millions and millions of legal voters, people who have a right to vote, for avoiding 0.0024% fraud? Nope, not the way the Right wants to do it.
I realize that there are those who will be inconvenienced by requiring voter ID. However, all citizens should have some form of ID. For those who don't, we should provide a "free" national ID. If 70% of Americans want voter ID, it indicates that the majority of both Republicans and Democrats are in favor. We need to get with the times, voter ID is common practice elsewhere. I believe the U.S. and Canada are two of the only few civilized countries that fall behind on this.

Forum List

Back