7 CEO's really raking in the bucks ---> do they deserve it?

R

rdean

7 CEOs pulling in outsized paychecks

The typical CEO at an S&P 500 company makes 180 times more than an average employee does. Here are 7 who earn 1,200 to 2,500 times more.

The top CEOs on my list were making $33,000 to $48,000 per hour, compared with $18 to $30 an hour for their workers. That means the CEOs earned as much in 75 minutes as a typical employee made in an entire year. (And that's giving CEOs a break, assuming a 60-hour workweek with two weeks of vacation a year, compared with workers' 40-hour weeks.)

Put another way, the ratios of CEO pay to worker pay ran as high as 2,500-to-1, compared with 180-to-1 on average at S&P 500 companies.

Plus, this widening pay gap has come at the expense of the middle class, which shrinks consumer spending and hurts the economy, says Brandon Rees, deputy director of the AFL-CIO Office of Investment. And the three biggest pay gaps I found are are at companies in health care -- at a time when rising health care costs are crushing many family budgets.

7 CEOs pulling in outsized paychecks - executive compensation - Money

Gee, I wonder how many government subsidies they get. Like Bain Capital who got lots.

With money like that, I bet they buy a lot of politicians.

You don't get to decide if they deserve it unless you are a stockholder in the company.

7 CEOs pulling in outsized paychecks...
Huh. The article only mentions 7 but quotes a report with ten CEOs. Might be because the first three on the list made as much as the other seven and their companies were health care and autos --with ties to Obama.

7 CEO's really raking in the bucks ---> do they deserve it?

Deserve isn't a word one can prove empirically.

Just desserts are in the eye of the beholder.

I think it is greed. Capitalism without underlying moral/ethical principles is just as corrupt as any other system. The Bible says the laborer is worthy of his wages. Not screw the laborer with as little as possible. And, a CEO who established and invented and started the company is one thing. An MBA who did nothing to start it and comes in as corporate raider, raiding and stealing the profits until the company goes into bankruptcy and then moving on to another company is another story.

Should hospital CEO's be raking in the big bucks who earn their living of Medicare as well? I think those are reasonable questions.

The typical CEO at an S&P 500 company makes 180 times more than an average employee does. Here are 7 who earn 1,200 to 2,500 times more.

The top CEOs on my list were making $33,000 to $48,000 per hour, compared with $18 to $30 an hour for their workers. That means the CEOs earned as much in 75 minutes as a typical employee made in an entire year. (And that's giving CEOs a break, assuming a 60-hour workweek with two weeks of vacation a year, compared with workers' 40-hour weeks.)

Put another way, the ratios of CEO pay to worker pay ran as high as 2,500-to-1, compared with 180-to-1 on average at S&P 500 companies.

Plus, this widening pay gap has come at the expense of the middle class, which shrinks consumer spending and hurts the economy, says Brandon Rees, deputy director of the AFL-CIO Office of Investment. And the three biggest pay gaps I found are are at companies in health care -- at a time when rising health care costs are crushing many family budgets.

Gee, I wonder how many government subsidies they get. Like Bain Capital who got lots.

Can I get some cheese with this whine?

I think it is greed. Capitalism without underlying moral/ethical principles is just as corrupt as any other system. The Bible says the laborer is worthy of his wages. Not screw the laborer with as little as possible. And, a CEO who established and invented and started the company is one thing. An MBA who did nothing to start it and comes in as corporate raider, raiding and stealing the profits until the company goes into bankruptcy and then moving on to another company is another story.
I see that you like to quote the Bible.

Maybe you should look up the verses about the sins of jealousy and envy. :cool:

I would be happy to. Quote away. There is much more about money in the Bible than about anything else.

Am I paying these 'big bucks'?

No?

Ain't my business.

Yes. In some ways you are. Businesses wouldn't exist without govt funded roads and services. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

Bullshit. I pay taxes, those taxes run the country's infrastructure. Businesses pay taxes and they too pay for that infrastructure. Everybody pays. Unless I am a shareholder in their business, I have no interest in what they pay their employees. They owe me nothing. Be clear. You use that infrastructure and you owe me nothing for that. Same for them.

Am I paying these 'big bucks'?

No?

Ain't my business.

Yes. In some ways you are. Businesses wouldn't exist without govt funded roads and services. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

pfft

we can do away with government funding our roads and do a much better job by taking the best bid instead of taking the lowest bid.
I disagree. Profit is probably the best system and capitalism but it has its failures. And, there are things that are not going to get done if they aren't profitable. It is profitable to make a lot of medications for heartburn and cholesterol but not for Huntington's chorea or other illnesses like that. It is profitable for doctors to do a lot of breast implants and botox but not so much fixing rare problems. There has to be a balance in there somewhere.

Exhibit A: How Marxists took control of the Democrat Party

Exhibit A: How Marxists took control of the Democrat Party

This is one of the 99% of rdean's posts that is 6% accurate.

When the economy was exploding and the Middle Class was growing, during the 50's, did CEO's make them much? Are today's so much better.

Right wingers better do some research before they answer. Think "Eisenhower".

Forum List

Back